Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brass Monkeys

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R

Brass Monkeys

Yep... Well done kids, thats a real good look.
    Motorcyclists-rescued-from-Central-Otago-snow
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
    just finished reading now who was it fess up & take the up the arse that ya deserve
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    05 CB1300
    lol those guys that got rescued sound like they had fun i bet they got a good story to tell lol.
    "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
    If true about the locked gate, signs etc all I can say is what a bunch of twats!

In any event it should a combined ferkin lack of common sense/judgement, were they all from a city or something??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    BMW R1200RT

Brass Monkeys

Ok. Fess up.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10650166

Trapped Motorcyclists Rescued

5:56 PM Sunday Jun 6, 2010

More than two dozen motorcyclists had to be rescued from deep snow as they made their way to a rally in Central Otago over a closed road overnight.

Police were left "shaking their heads in disbelief" after having to rescue the group which ignored road closed signs on the Danseys Pass Road, said Sergeant Ian Kerrisk of Alexandra police.

The group, aged from their early 20s to mid 70s, had intended travelling over the pass to the Brass Monkey Rally at Oturehua. The annual rally attracts hundreds of motorcyclists - drawn to the cold and "one of the last great motorcycling adventures".

However, they got more than they bargained for when they became trapped just below the summit at lunchtime yesterday and spent several hours on foot trying to walk the 14km through snow to the Danseys Coach Inn.

A helicopter could not be put up because of the weather but police and search and rescue staff in 4WDs managed to travel 2km up the road from the hotel and found a group of 20 riders.

A local farmer, on his tractor, and a grader took searchers through the deeper snow further up the pass and they found another three riders 3km up the road. Three more were found sheltering near the roadway further up.

Snow near the summit of the pass was shoulder deep in places, Mr Kerrisk said.

"The riders were all extremely cold and tired and very grateful to see the searchers. They had been trying to walk through snow for some seven hours at that stage in freezing conditions and were nearing the end of their endurance."

The riders were taken back to the hotel to warm up. After a warm drink and a hot meal none needed any further medical attention.

The pass was closed last week but the riders managed to get past the locked gates and at least three warning signs, Mr Kerrisk said.

"Their decision to travel that road past warning signs and locked gates is foolish to say the least and could well have resulted in the loss of life. They not only put themselves at risk but caused others to have to risk the conditions to rescue them."

Police were reviewing the incident but charges were unlikely against any of the riders.

"At the end of the day they made a bad decision and they will have to answer to their families and peers for that. I hope this will be a learning curve for those involved."

He said a donation to the local Maniototo Search and Rescue organisation would be appreciated by the local community, but that was a matter for them.

"We got everyone out safely and for all the people involved in the rescue that is reward enough."

Mr Kerrisk said the riders accepted they had made a bad decision.

However, while the group had put themselves and their rescuers at risk, he had nothing but praise for the Brass Monkey Rally itself.

He said there have so far been no incidents involving the riders over the weekend, despite icy conditions making the roads difficult for the nearly 2000 riders attending the rally this year.

Stan Hansen, chairman of the Otago Motorcycle Club's Brass Monkey organising committee said there had only been one similar incident associated with the rally, and that was more than 20 years ago.

The club did not condone riders travelling on closed roads.

"It's closed for your safety," he said.

Temperatures at the rally dropped to about minus 2degC last night, but were down to minus 6degC on Friday night, he said.
    The greatest pleasure of my recent life has been speed on the road. . . . I lose detail at even moderate speed but gain comprehension. . . . I could write for hours on the lustfulness of moving swiftly.

--T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Bike
    It has been quoted on the Brass Monkey thread elsewhwere...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Speed Triple

Hey Stupid.

More than two dozen motorcyclists had to be rescued from deep snow as they made their way to a rally in Central Otago over a closed road overnight.

Police were left "shaking their heads in disbelief" after having to rescue the group which ignored road closed signs on the Danseys Pass Road, said Sergeant Ian Kerrisk of Alexandra police.

they got more than they bargained for when they became trapped just below the summit at lunchtime yesterday and spent several hours on foot trying to walk the 14km through snow to the Danseys Coach Inn.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3782...ral-Otago-snow

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    Just read this and chuckled - I wonder how many were KB'ers

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Yep. A little more here: http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...650166&ref=rss

"Snow to shoulder deep". Even I, coming from a Nordic country where riding in winter is something we do, would not try that without some additional aparatus. Like a snowmobile...

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    And then at first they wouldn't divulge who all was in the group.

Resulting in SAR not knowing if all had been rescued or not..........

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    I just pissed myself laughing...!
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And then at first they wouldn't divulge who all was in the group.

Resulting in SAR not knowing if all had been rescued or not..........
    They What!?!?!?!?!?!
    TARDS!
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Oh how hard core.... Bet there were no heated grips amongst those bikes!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

Bike
    GL1800
    Or picture one bike with heated grips, and a dozen Bikers fighting for a touch lol.

SURELY no KB'ers would get themselves in that sort of situation? LOL, and a Seventy year old? How did they make it so far in life lol
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    So now they will have to wait to the thaw before they can recover their bikes. I know that at least some KBers had more sense thyan to try that route in deep snow.
    Time to ride

Thread Information