Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC protest movement dead?

Bike
    Triple Delight
    There may or may not be a meeting planned for this coming weekend to expand plans for further protest action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2016 Vespa Sprint 150
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    i knew bout the bikes bit, but did not know vans were going up 46% thats fucking tempting to put it on hold for the amount i use it
    I drive a van to complement my bike, but fuck me, I knew nothing about this 46% increase in van rego charges. What's the rationale for that increase then? Surely a van isn't a "death-trap" with the regular vanner earning $80k/yr and breaking his/her back in a typical vanning accident requiring huge payouts from ACC?

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    I drive a van to complement my bike, but fuck me, I knew nothing about this 46% increase in van rego charges. What's the rationale for that increase then? Surely a van isn't a "death-trap" with the regular vanner earning $80k/yr and breaking his/her back in a typical vanning accident requiring huge payouts from ACC?
    THE DIESEL VAN IS A DEATH TRAP!!!!!
    The same way an 1800cc cruiser is more dangerous than a 600cc sport bike

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Personally Im still extremely pissed off at the heavy handed fashion in which this was done...

However - I'm not sure the protests were very effective. I mean seriously do you think Dr Nick really gives a shit about bikers other than we were a great smoke screen for cars and vans?

Sadly, many people would only be too happy to see open piped cruisers and over fast sports bikes off the road as their experience of them has been 100% negative. I'd like to see some ads or publicity relating to shit people do understand... I dunno, pictures of iconic motorcycle faces like Burt Munro, John Brittan, and others with a theme that under a national govt ACC scheme there would never have been a Burt Munro
    Burt Munro would have told the Govt. to fuck itself.

He probably never registered any bike he owned

Bike
    2008,HONDA,CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Burt Munro would have told the Govt. to fuck itself.

He probably never registered any bike he owned
    Theres one of his bikes at Hayes in Invercargill,complete with rego plate.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by fossil View Post
    Theres one of his bikes at Hayes in Invercargill,complete with rego plate.
    And what do you reckon that cost him?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2008,HONDA,CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    And what do you reckon that cost him?
    He probably made it in his shed

Bike
    08 KTM250
    F*&% the NZ govt, enough said

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    The issue is not dead - yet.
    Some of the public here are beginning to question the situation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter 317.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	214813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter38.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	214814  
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    sad times. concerned citizens?
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSX 1200y "Inazuma"
    The ACC rates motorcycle protest is dead. I was/am angry at the rises and keen to let the government know. I took days off work to go to Wellington, and enjoyed participating in an extremely well attended protest ride. When I arrived back I was still keen. Unfortunately at that point there was no organisation, increasing factionalism and developing personality cults. There were many protests organised that only 20 or so people heard about, and only 5 attended. The decision was made to broaden the group of people involved from just motorcyclists, and that was an unfortunate failure. The whole movement rapidly became a farce. Perhaps it can be bought back to life, but only if the mistakes of the past are learnt from.

1. We need leadership and an organisation. A one off ride can be organised in a relatively haphazard manner, and go off without a hitch. Unfortunately once the ride is over there is no ability to control the follow-up. BRONZ unfortunately is not this organisation, it runs democratically and is too slow to respond (BRONZ does need to be involved, they just don't have the ability to lead). There should be a leadership group set up solely to deal with the ACC protest movement, one that is small enough to respond quickly.

2. Media is everything. We need to provide and provoke situations that will sell newspapers and advertising space, and we need people that are media savvy and can talk in soundbites. If you cant get your idea across in 5 seconds, then the idea needs to be refined. Your 15 minute soliloquy on the perils of the government messing with ACC will not make the news, half the people protesting probably wont even be interested enough to listen. Public don't give a shit about stats, emotional appeals are quicker and more effective, people hate to think.

3. You need the people behind you. KB is a good place to start recruiting, but you need others. Use the success of the Wellington protest ride as inspiration. Plan something, have it well thought out and start advertising months in advance. Flyer drops, posters, radio time, whatever works. Make protests on the weekend, and preferably aim to start something in fine weather. Make it accessible, its all well and good claiming that if people care enough they will get the time off work, but all we really want is numbers. We dont just want the hardcore elite, we want Joe Average to turn up because he doesnt like paying too much, it's a nice day for a ride and a protest sounds like fun. Once we get them along, then we can try to inspire them, but we need them there first.

Bike
    FJR1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    sad times. concerned citizens?
    Yes we are just waiting for the word....
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    V-Stroms look like an accident in a heat pump factory.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kave View Post
    The ACC rates motorcycle protest is dead. I was/am angry at the rises and keen to let the government know. I took days off work to go to Wellington, and enjoyed participating in an extremely well attended protest ride. When I arrived back I was still keen. Unfortunately at that point there was no organisation, increasing factionalism and developing personality cults. There were many protests organised that only 20 or so people heard about, and only 5 attended. The decision was made to broaden the group of people involved from just motorcyclists, and that was an unfortunate failure. The whole movement rapidly became a farce. Perhaps it can be bought back to life, but only if the mistakes of the past are learnt from.

1. We need leadership and an organisation. A one off ride can be organised in a relatively haphazard manner, and go off without a hitch. Unfortunately once the ride is over there is no ability to control the follow-up. BRONZ unfortunately is not this organisation, it runs democratically and is too slow to respond (BRONZ does need to be involved, they just don't have the ability to lead). There should be a leadership group set up solely to deal with the ACC protest movement, one that is small enough to respond quickly.

2. Media is everything. We need to provide and provoke situations that will sell newspapers and advertising space, and we need people that are media savvy and can talk in soundbites. If you cant get your idea across in 5 seconds, then the idea needs to be refined. Your 15 minute soliloquy on the perils of the government messing with ACC will not make the news, half the people protesting probably wont even be interested enough to listen. Public don't give a shit about stats, emotional appeals are quicker and more effective, people hate to think.

3. You need the people behind you. KB is a good place to start recruiting, but you need others. Use the success of the Wellington protest ride as inspiration. Plan something, have it well thought out and start advertising months in advance. Flyer drops, posters, radio time, whatever works. Make protests on the weekend, and preferably aim to start something in fine weather. Make it accessible, its all well and good claiming that if people care enough they will get the time off work, but all we really want is numbers. We dont just want the hardcore elite, we want Joe Average to turn up because he doesnt like paying too much, it's a nice day for a ride and a protest sounds like fun. Once we get them along, then we can try to inspire them, but we need them there first.
    And when they send us away again? That needs to be one hell of a plan.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Triumph
    Blog Entries
    CUYOBY..................apparently.

Bike
    Canadian Red Back

yep

dead no, regrouping yes
    remember summer just round the corner and like bears motorcyclists come out of hibernation then just in time for a election, I hope to recundle the Christchurch boys and girls around then.

Thread Information