Thread: ACC no claims bonus

Bike
    Yamaha YZF 600. 1995

ACC no claims bonus

Today, the Dishonourable Nick Smith announced that businesses are to be graded for safety. I gather the programme is to be not dissimilar to standard insurance company no-claims bonuses.

Can't fault Smiths reasoning on this move. What I wish to know is, why is it not being applied across the board.

Ergo: This year I'm forced to pay the full bike/car/van ACC charges. In the following year I make no claims. Thus I should be entitled to a substantial ACC discount....No-claims bonus.

I shall be writing to dis-Smith on this issue. I invite all of you to emulate my actions.

After all, the no-claims bonus system is about as 'fair' as this system is ever going to get.
    Only 'Now' exists in reality.

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    I tend to agree with what they are doing and hope they may extend it to Vehicles. It makes sense really. Then again that's why they may not do it for us!!!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it will work.

They have previsouly looked at such a scheme, and found the cost of administering it exceeded the gain. Rmember, ACC is Government funded. So if ACC costs more to run, then everyone has to pay more.

The other reason I think it wont work is because they are going to penalise companies with poor safety records. They mentioned forestry contractors as an example.

So lets say I am a forrestry contractor with a bad record. I haven't been bothered to do anything about it before. Now I am faced with a 50% increase in my ACC levies - OR I simply start a new company each year with a clean accident record to avoid the fees.

It's just so simple to work the system discussed. And that's the issue - "taxing" issues out of existance nearly always fails. What it does is create side industries to work the system.

Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Quote Originally Posted by dpex View Post
    Today, the Dishonourable Nick Smith announced that businesses are to be graded for safety. I gather the programme is to be not dissimilar to standard insurance company no-claims bonuses.

Can't fault Smiths reasoning on this move. What I wish to know is, why is it not being applied across the board.

Ergo: This year I'm forced to pay the full bike/car/van ACC charges. In the following year I make no claims. Thus I should be entitled to a substantial ACC discount....No-claims bonus.

I shall be writing to dis-Smith on this issue. I invite all of you to emulate my actions.

After all, the no-claims bonus system is about as 'fair' as this system is ever going to get.

Fat chance.

If they can't see their way clear to concede the iniquity of full levies on registrations of bikes for owners of 2 or more.
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but my ACC levies go to everyone, all of you... I pay my "worker" levy, not to cover me, but to cover everybody... Discounts kinda go against ACC principles... it means that WE have to make up the shortfall to keep the cover at the same levels for business discounts, no?
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    I'm sorry, but my ACC levies go to everyone, all of you... I pay my "worker" levy, not to cover me, but to cover everybody... Discounts kinda go against ACC principles... it means that WE have to make up the shortfall to keep the cover at the same levels for business discounts, no?
    I think you will find that the "discount" is a sweetener that will be seldom tasted.

If I got it right, employers who can show a claim free history for 3 or more years MAY get as much as 50% discount (which will likely cover about 5% of businesses) and those with higher that average claim levels will be charged up to 50% more (which will likely cover about 40% of businesses).

The net result for ACC is most likely to be a higher levy income (between 10 and 20%).

It is very likely to result in employers looking unfavourably at employees who file accident reports and or claims. Every time an accident report is filed (even for a splinter) it will count against the employer for his ACC levies.
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Bike
    Mine
    Yet again the whole point of ACC is completely sidestepped. It is supposed to be a "NO BLAIM" system. The very nature of no-claims bonuses is about blaming those that have the misfortune to require an ACC payout.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    +1 on this

when granny has a fall WE ALL pay for her

Tricky Nicky Slithers is paving the way for privatization

Shoot the fker

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Triumph
    Blog Entries
    Which FUCKING part of "NO FAULT" don't you understand?
    Buy all the insurance you want, wear all the gear you want, wrap yourself up in bright yellow bubble wrap and attend every safe rider and advanced motorcycle technique course you feel like...
    You know what, you can still have an accident.
    ACC, not an insurance scheme, until you allow it to become one.
    Then you better sell that dangerous motorcycle, stop tramping the high country, or having a piss without taking your blood pressure first.
    We all pay, we all benefit.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by NONONO View Post
    Which FUCKING part of "NO FAULT" don't you understand?
    Buy all the insurance you want, wear all the gear you want, wrap yourself up in bright yellow bubble wrap and attend every safe rider and advanced motorcycle technique course you feel like...
    You know what, you can still have an accident.
    ACC, not an insurance scheme, until you allow it to become one.
    Then you better sell that dangerous motorcycle, stop tramping the high country, or having a piss without taking your blood pressure first.
    We all pay, we all benefit.
    Bullshit,we all pay more so that the many scunbuckets living longterm on the ACC can continue to do so,a little of there time spent sorting them out would be productive to say the least.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Correct, but they don't get sorted do they? People who genuinely need ACC are being denied whiole the scumbuckets are rorting the system, just as they have in the past and will continue to do. Meanwhile the long suffering taxpayer / employer /motor vehicle user gets stung for higher and higher levies.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information