Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for the right sport tourer

Bike
    2001 Ducati ST4

Looking for the right sport tourer

Hi guys,

My current ride is a 1987 Honda NV400SP. I've done 8,000km in the past year on it. I've done 500km days on it and am looking to move up to a more suitable sport tourer. It needs to carry 2-3 hard luggage cases and two up on long trips. But it needs to be able to put that silly grin on ones face when on short rides in the hills :P I'm a racing snake at 5'8"/65kg. I'm usually easy on the revs so after something with decent mid-range power. I am confident enough in my sensibilities to not exceed my abilities howeverLooking for something under $5,000 so am happy with older models. So far I've been investigating VFR750s and GSX750s.

Cheers, (apologies if this has been covered already)

Bike
    None at the moment
    I bought me a 94 GSX750F (Katana) last year and am loving it...Its cheap and reliable, has enough power to be fun on the twisties, and is able to comfotably do long distances....Did wellington to christchurch and back again last christmas all loaded up and did not miss a beat...There will be better ones about for more money, but the Katana is a great bike...I love it, and it always gives me the grin factor...

Oh and welcome to KB

Oh dont forget the Suzuki RF900....would be a good sports tourer as well

Bike
    2001 Ducati ST4
    Thanks, good to be here I do like the look of a GSX750F on trademe. I've looked into the RF900 and am I right in thinking it is somewhat heavier? The biggest bike I've ridden is a Yamaha XJ600. I assume it doesn't matter so much when you are already rolling, but I'm not experienced with bigger bikes.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    The RF900 is probably THE sports tourer. A big pussycat. With claws. Suffers only from being a 5 speed. Find one and you won't look back.
    Your other choices are good too. The GSX would be my pick, based soley on price.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Triumph ST Sprint is a great tourer.
    Plenty of luggage space and comfort and power to burn.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    Triumph ST Sprint is a great tourer.
    Plenty of luggage space and comfort and power to burn.
    Beat me to it. Hands down the ST has the most comfortable pillion ergonomics of any bike I have pillioned on. I did not like the RF900 at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Beat me to it. Hands down the ST has the most comfortable pillion ergonomics of any bike I have pillioned on. I did not like the RF900 at all.
    I've only test ridden couple and they are just awesome to ride. Good handlers as well as plenty of get up and go. Not bad lookers either. The new ones are looking pretty damn fine too.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    I've only test ridden couple and they are just awesome to ride. Good handlers as well as plenty of get up and go. Not bad lookers either. The new ones are looking pretty damn fine too.
    Sat on one on Saturday, later model than the one Maha had, it was comfy and even though has the split height seat, it still maintained that really lovely foot peg height due to the exhausts being tucked up under the seat. I wonder if that would make a "warm" issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    . .
    Buy my R1100GS. Perfect sports tourer. Shaft drive, great tyre mileage, 400km fuel range, tough. Great on gravel back roads too. Not under 5k but not too far over that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000737.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	214643  

Bike
    2001 Ducati ST4
    I do like shaft drive, but I tend to steer away from European stuff due to expensive parts.Maybe when I've made my fortune! They do look like a nice bike though. I've read reviews on the CBR1000 Hurricane. The gist was that it was perfect for people who liked practical, sensible, uncharismatic yet fun riding. Would that be accurate? I'm leaning towards these old Jappers because they are usually within my price range. Any Kawasakis or Yamahas I should be looking at?I have been informed that I could probably get a much newer GSX for the same money as an RF900. I'm not qualified to comment on that. Any ideas on that?

Bike
    None at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryaeil View Post
    I have been informed that I could probably get a much newer GSX for the same money as an RF900. I'm not qualified to comment on that. Any ideas on that?
    I was looking at a few models when I got my bike. The GSXF, GSXR and the RF...Yes I lean towards Suzuki more than any other marque. The GSXR was too sports orientated for my liking after a few blats, and the RF were few and far between, and also much more expensive than the GSXF. My budget only went as far as 4 grand...but as posted before I love my bike....suits me nicely, and I intend to keep it for a long time yet...

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R
    Bandits are pretty good tourers the 1200 would have ample power for 2up and is a solid reliable package.
    I don't know what the pillion ergonomics are like, but I've happily done Whangarei to Wellington nonstop and felt absolutely fine when I parked up in Welly.
    They also handle pretty well in the twisties.
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Too bad ya can't stretch ya budget a bit further cause this bike (ad - Bike GSX1400 Stunning machine ) would hit all the right spots and is being sold for way cheaper than it should be.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    FJR1300
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aryaeil View Post
    Thanks, good to be here I do like the look of a GSX750F on trademe. I've looked into the RF900 and am I right in thinking it is somewhat heavier? The biggest bike I've ridden is a Yamaha XJ600. I assume it doesn't matter so much when you are already rolling, but I'm not experienced with bigger bikes.
    GSX750F

100BHP about 210KG a good budget all rounder. About 240ks out of a tank you can really throw it around corners just lacks torque coming out (compared to a VTR/KTM type of bike)
    You will love this bike as its not to sporty (I did many trips from Akl to Npr on mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    V-Stroms look like an accident in a heat pump factory.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    There is heaps of threads on this... and they all say the same thing... most time they recommend the bike they have or the have had in the past...

And I will say the same thing I have said in them... You need to to test ride... Just be cause jack finds bike a great bike for his need it may not meet jims need...

Every bike is different, every person is different... there is to many vriables... I find the Ducati ST4s a great sports tourer... but it may not suite you may find it uncomfortable... I use to own a VTR firestorm was gret bike and classed as a sports tourer... but its fuel range is crap compared to the ducati...

Do want a V-Twin, IL4, V4, triple, Twin? what size are you looking at?... what is your budget?

Go shoping and take for a test ride... and take your pillion on the test ride... you may be comfortale but she might hate it...

I will recommend the Ducati ST4s... heaps power, comfort both rider and pillion... has the race heritage... take on track, or play in hills... standard panniers, easy to add pack rack or top box... fuel range is good... Maintenance isn't that much heck I can afford and i am on minimum wage...

Thread Information