Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you want your money spent - ideas sought

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Yup, I wondered how long it would take for this thread to turn into a flogging match.

Thanks fior not disappointing me.

To answer the ACC funding question, I'm noty sure how they are funding this local project, sorry I can't answer.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    You're welcome.

Bike
    Ratty As
    Yup, I wondered how long it would take for this thread to turn into a flogging match.

To answer the ACC funding question, I'm noty sure how they are funding this local project, sorry I can't answer.
    Got some ideas, my degree does some interesting viral videos/ campaigns etc. Sadly already into my last semester but point ACC in the direction of my course organizers if you want a fresh perspective on getting some public awareness

•°o.O[Design & Photography]O.o°•
    •°o.O[Book of faces]O.o°•

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    The best strategy is for the design team to have a big retreat to come up with idea's. Import hookers and drugs and fly fresh strawberries from Mongolia. Generally trough it up. Throw in a couple of Nazi uniforms and leak the video to the media.

Next step - sit back and wait for endless TV time. Try to divert their attention from the big waste of public money (outrage!) to the fact that sooooooooo many accidents are caused by people who think 'sorry' is an appropriate response to putting life at risk of serious harm.

If nothing ultimately comes of it, at least you've had a whale of a time!

Actually, the best spend would be to buy a whole heap of scooters.
    Any driver reported (by bikers) of causing a SIDSYM moment gets summonsed to ride 10k in rush hour traffic.
    Education about things that can kill you stays with you a long time

Bike
    fluoro mess
    yeah forget advertising campaigns, nothing liking using two wheeled transport to make you more aware of it while on four.

the GDLS has needed overhauling for ages i reckon
    Education not Legislation

Bike
    It was on the good
    Well I’d say in Chch a cyclist is more likely to be involved in a SMIDSY moment, so a campaign using them will benefit motorbikes. But then I bet there are more car vs car SMIDSY moments anyway, so not sure that the use of a motorbike is the ideal way. If people can’t see a car or a truck when pulling out they have a problem.

If a campaign is going to go to billboards then it has to be a very short message, half a dozen words, and a very simple image. Too many billboards are too hard to read, or too distracting. If you can’t work it out in a couple of seconds it has failed.

Images of cars that have been T-boned by trucks, or trains, might be the best way to scare car drivers. They generally aren’t going to get hurt if they pull out on a bike coming towards them so who cares ?

Considering the chances of an individual car having to give way to a motorbike are fairly slim, but an individual motorbike is going to be at risk at every intersection he/she rides past, perhaps the campaign should be aimed at the rider – cover your brakes, road positioning, scanning for hazards etc etc. Failing to give way is one of the most basic offences, so the enforcement of it should not need supporting by a media campaign.

Failing that, dump all the smashed up cars in Cathedral Square for a few weeks. That should raise awareness.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Well I had a good think about it, and for print media I reckon incorporate something like:

Open casket with biker helmet (mirror tint) instead of face, guy putting a wreath on the casket with words "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You"

Appropriate message written on board like:
    Sorry doesn't cut it, check for bikes.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    some sort of dotted silhouette indicating the 'invisible' biker, maybe.
    They did that in Auckland a couple of years back, you dont see the bike till you're close to the poster. Shame it was only put on a couple of bus stops and not pushed further.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    One question. You say "your money" and then post this in the ACC section. Does that mean this campaign is being funded out of the $30 levy ?
    Presumably funded the same way they've always been, the local prevention guy gets some money for whatever action he/we can dream up. The Auckland reps are also after ideas (Motorcycling is the focus this year)

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Well I had a good think about it, and for print media I reckon incorporate something like:

Open casket with biker helmet (mirror tint) instead of face, guy putting a wreath on the casket with words "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You"

Appropriate message written on board like:
    Sorry doesn't cut it, check for bikes.
    i like this!!! I can see it being effective as it pushes it home to both the riders and the drivers

buggar, must have given you rep recently hey? kb says must spread before giving again.

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Considering the chances of an individual car having to give way to a motorbike are fairly slim, but an individual motorbike is going to be at risk at every intersection he/she rides past, perhaps the campaign should be aimed at the rider – cover your brakes, road positioning, scanning for hazards etc etc.
    I totally agree.

Far greater gain would be made by training motorcyclists to compensate for the inadequacy of others.

It would be easier to achieve and could be done at far lesser expense.

I keep reading on here that many of us think we're so much better road users than others - so why don't we start showing it?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I totally agree.

Far greater gain would be made by training motorcyclists to compensate for the inadequacy of others.

It would be easier to achieve and could be done at far lesser expense.

I keep reading on here that many of us think we're so much better road users than others - so why don't we start showing it?

I've been coming to that conclusion. We could try to change the behaviour of everyone else (unlikely and very slow) or change our own behaviour immediately and reap the benefits.

Here's a start.

Do not ever assume someone has seen you. Assume they haven't.
    Strick out like a sore thumb. High viz black can be deadly.
    Do not weave between lanes in moving heavy traffic.
    Learn to recognise each vehicle classes blindspots, and stay out of them.
    Try to be in someones rear vision mirror long enoughy for them to see what you are doing before blasting past them.
    Move within your lane to impriove your chance of being seen.

How's that for a list to start on.

None of this suggests it's our fault, but waiting for the world to change will be too late for some of us.

BTW, love the idea above re the casket and the SMIDSY caption. I'll be suggesting that one. Cheers Bogan.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    BTW, love the idea above re the casket and the SMIDSY caption. I'll be suggesting that one. Cheers Bogan.
    I agree that the casket idea is a good one but........

......while it is so easy for a large proportion of the general public to take the attitude of "bah, have you seen the way they ride? They bring it upon themselves" then the backlash is likely to come back and bite us in the arse.

That is why I've always said we need to seriously address our own short-comings before getting carried away with pointing the finger at others.

If we can ever get to the stage where the vast majority of motorcycle accidents are, in fact, the fault of the other person then we will have irrefutable justification for finger pointing.

Bike
    Triumph
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogri.kick.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	215943

Bah!!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Do not ever assume someone has seen you. Assume they haven't.
    Strick out like a sore thumb. High viz black can be deadly.
    Do not weave between lanes in moving heavy traffic.
    Learn to recognise each vehicle classes blindspots, and stay out of them.
    Try to be in someones rear vision mirror long enoughy for them to see what you are doing before blasting past them.
    Move within your lane to impriove your chance of being seen.

How's that for a list to start on.
    How big is this billboard ?

Thread Information