Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: We're doing Route 66 next year. Anyone toured Stateside recently? And Americans

Bike
    GL1800
    Great pix there Storm!
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    GL1800
    10 days to go and we can't wait!

This has been a long time coming, and we'll be stoked to be leaving the Middle East just quietly....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    1 week for me.... Saturday next week I fly out and finally see my bike again

How long Shafty? My route is 6 weeks, 14,000km ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GL1800
    We're also doing 6 weeks and prolly similiar km's - had a look at the route you are doing - AWESOME!

Have a blast Gremlin!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Are we potentially crossing paths at any point (I haven't seen any route for you)? Would be amusing for kiwis to say hello in middle of USA
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GL1800
    Yeah, that would be a hoot. We pick up a silver ST1300 from West Virginia, head up to Pennesylvania (Bikefest) then Chicago > Route 66 to LA with mates on a GL1800 (Dont know what colour - its a hire bike).

Then they fly home, we wander up the coast to Oregon then probably head north-east, eventually returning the bike to WV. From memory thats where we could possibly cross paths.

On www.advriders.com there are some Mosgiel boys doing a trail trip, plus a few Kiwi's dotted around the US looking for a chat with a Kiwi accent!

I know your accomodation is prolly all organised (?) but we hope to take advantage of joining up to www.motorcycle-travel.net - a $20 a night reciprocal B and B deal, - the main advantage to us being meeting some locals, and later, hopefullly hosting some visiting o'seas Riders.

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Yeah, that would be a hoot. We pick up a silver ST1300 from West Virginia, head up to Pennesylvania (Bikefest) then Chicago > Route 66 to LA with mates on a GL1800 (Dont know what colour - its a hire bike).

Then they fly home, we wander up the coast to Oregon then probably head north-east, eventually returning the bike to WV. From memory thats where we could possibly cross paths.

On www.advriders.com there are some Mosgiel boys doing a trail trip, plus a few Kiwi's dotted around the US looking for a chat with a Kiwi accent!

I know your accomodation is prolly all organised (?) but we hope to take advantage of joining up to www.motorcycle-travel.net - a $20 a night reciprocal B and B deal, - the main advantage to us being meeting some locals, and later, hopefullly hosting some visiting o'seas Riders.
    At the Matiere Hilton?
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    GL1800
    Quote Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
    At the Matiere Hilton?
    That's the bugger, the Matiere Cosi, where bets are honoured, good bastards drink and everyone knows ya name....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

I know your accomodation is prolly all organised (?) but we hope to take advantage of joining up to www.motorcycle-travel.net
    Yeah, accommodation all fully sorted. Attached a screenshot of our route, we go clockwise... You're certainly going to rack up the k's going coast to coast... I don't even get to the middle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USA Trip.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	242545  

Bike
    '05 Kawasaki 636
    In case you folks weren't aware, we've been having some unusual weather this year. Last week the southwest was hitting 118F, (48C) although it's a more tolerable 107F (41C) this week. I'd strongly recommend everyone on the ride have an evaporative cooling vest, and that you all remember to drink lots and lots of water. More than you want to drink. Better to be pissing every hour, than passing out and crashing from the heat.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip... except I can't seem to find any here (couple of weekends ago I was riding in 2C, so not too surprising )

I'm hoping to see the afternoon of the LA bike show (land in morning), so I'll look there, otherwise hit up a dealer or two, as I need some oil for my BMW anyway...

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    That's the bugger, the Matiere Cosi, where bets are honoured, good bastards drink and everyone knows ya name....
    What's yur name?

Have a safe trip.may need to book at Matiere Hilton Cossie soon huh?
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    '05 Kawasaki 636
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Thanks for the tip... except I can't seem to find any here (couple of weekends ago I was riding in 2C, so not too surprising )

I'm hoping to see the afternoon of the LA bike show (land in morning), so I'll look there, otherwise hit up a dealer or two, as I need some oil for my BMW anyway...
    Cycle Gear has what I hear is a good model. (The one I use isn't being made any more) I'm sure if you ordered via e-mail they'd either hold them at a store for you to pick up, or ship them to where you're getting the bikes.

You want them to be snug, so they're against your skin otherwise they don't cool well. So you should check the sizing chart carefully.

You also might want to check over the tips in the first post of this thread. We had a racer die last weekend from overheating during a race in Michigan.

Bike
    2005 Suzuki SV650s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yeah, accommodation all fully sorted. Attached a screenshot of our route, we go clockwise... You're certainly going to rack up the k's going coast to coast... I don't even get to the middle
    Looks fun!

Make sure you ride the section of road in CA that connects hwy 1 on the coast to 101 which is a bit inland. Once you get to Legett, hit hwy 101 for a while and exit a few miles north of there to ride up thru the redwoods.

Hwy 96 is another brilliant one, lots of great views and the road follows the beautiful Klamath river all the way until you get to I-5. The ride north on I-5 up to Ashland, OR is actually really nice for the interstate with nice views of Mt. Shasta. Ashland is a cool little town, recommended for a meal at least!

Bandon, OR is a fun little coastal town. Fish n' chups are good here!

Send me a message if you ride thru Portland!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=fo...S6g&mra=ps&z=9

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skeelo221 View Post
    Bandon, OR is a fun little coastal town. Fish n' chups are good here!

Send me a message if you ride thru Portland!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=fo...S6g&mra=ps&z=9
    Cheers for that. Unfortunately, we're hugging the coast I believe (well, not that unfortunate as such, as I understand it's still beautiful) but it means we'll probably miss out on SH96 and Portland. Coos Bay and Astoria are our night stops in that area.

Thread Information