Thread: Need help in Wellington

Bike
    Ducati 1000SS

Need help in Wellington

All, Long story short I've restored a Night Train from a wreck imported from the states. What I didn't know was I had to get a repair cert from a NZTA certifier to say the bike is road worthy and the Frame is up to standard. Funny because that's what I thought VTNZ did, anyway...

Well it's not I've been told by the certifier, the Headstem is out by 11mm!

Does anyone know of places in Wellington, Kapiti, Manawatu, Wairarapa area with a Jig and the skills to straighten a Harley frame? I know of one place in the city but didn't seem that interested. There are no parts involved it should be just labour.

Cheers in advance.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    OOh - bugger.... Can you get a replacement frame... I'd also get a second opinion... 11mm aint much if its measured wrong..

Bike
    Ducati 1000SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    OOh - bugger.... Can you get a replacement frame... I'd also get a second opinion... 11mm aint much if its measured wrong..
    I've completely restored it so don't fancy on stripping the whole bike for another frame and if someone has the right JIG it can be straightend without stripping it I'm told. Second opinion won't help either are just 2 Certifiers in the Wellington area, one of them measured the bike the other wasn't interested. Live and learn but a very frustrating process!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Dang - tweaking it may crack the paint of course... ANZA in Palmy?

Bike
    Ducati 1000SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Dang - tweaking it may crack the paint of course... ANZA in Palmy?
    Hm tried them...

Bike
    . .
    There is a guy in Hamilton......

http://www.rapidartnz.com/Services/ChassisS.htm

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Dude. You seriously imported a totalled Harley and the first thing you didn't check was the straightness? 11mm is a big difference in stem alignment.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Ducati 1000SS
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Dude. You seriously imported a totalled Harley and the first thing you didn't check was the straightness? 11mm is a big difference in stem alignment.
    Yeah I know and more the point I didn't know about the repair cert. I called some random at VTNZ and asked what was needed to get it on the road and what do you know no mention of a repair cert!

Bike
    2002 VFR800 VTEC
    There is a guy called Don, he is a great motorcycle mechanic and is (last thing i knew anyway) working out of his large property in stokes valley.
    he worked on a frame of mine some years ago.

Ask around for Don the motorcycle mechanic (he was in the original startup crew of motomart in the hutt, so perhaps they have details for him?) or check the phone book , i think he was in there. if you find a bike mechanic in stokes valley called DON, you found him
    say gavin legge recommended you if you like.. he will probably hope you dont have another honda frame for him to look at.

best of luck.
    if you dont have any luck tracking him down, get back to me and i'll see what i can do.
    cheers
    Gavin
    ACC - One rule, one levy , one cover. Fair to ALL New Zealand.

Bike
    2002 VFR800 VTEC
    here, i'll save you the trouble. he's in the yellow pages.

Don is awesome, he's been in the business for years, and is really great to deal with. i'm sure he will be able to help you out if you still need it (I noticed this thread is quite old..)

Motorcycle Maintenance Ltd

Add to My Address Book
    • 04-563 5054
    • Stokes Valley Lower Hutt 5019
    • Email
    Additional Contact Details
    Fax:04-563 5062
    Mobile:0-27-474 8996
    ACC - One rule, one levy , one cover. Fair to ALL New Zealand.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000SS View Post
    Yeah I know and more the point I didn't know about the repair cert. I called some random at VTNZ and asked what was needed to get it on the road and what do you know no mention of a repair cert!
    You poor bastard! That's why I always recommend people thoroughly do their homework (online is best) before importing their vehicles.

For instance, it is now bloody easy to import a 2 door, "collectible", LH drive car of ANY vintage from the States providing it was never manufactured in RHD. Previously the car had to be 25 years old or it needed to be converted, no questions.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    This is not a cheap job,steve bridge just repaired from friends streetglide frame and it was pricy but a real nice job only thing is you will have to take the bike to hamilton,that other shop wouldn't have been in adelaide rd by any chance?

Bike
    Ducati 1000SS
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOUG View Post
    This is not a cheap job,steve bridge just repaired from friends streetglide frame and it was pricy but a real nice job only thing is you will have to take the bike to hamilton,that other shop wouldn't have been in adelaide rd by any chance?
    Hey mate, I'm told it may not be that major given where the frame is out which is at the headstem, if it was near the body of the frame yes it would be and yes I would take it Hamilton but I'm told I can get away with a jig taking the folks out and maybe loosening the rear fender.... Adelaide rd, I can't confirm or deny mate haha....

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000SS View Post
    Hey mate, I'm told it may not be that major given where the frame is out which is at the headstem, if it was near the body of the frame yes it would be and yes I would take it Hamilton but I'm told I can get away with a jig taking the folks out and maybe loosening the rear fender.... Adelaide rd, I can't confirm or deny mate haha....
    They'll get it sorted no worries at all mate!

Thread Information