Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheesecutters sprout in Mt Maunganui

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Cheesecutters sprout in Mt Maunganui

I have just driven over the Hewletts Rd flyover, first time in ages. Cheesecutter barriers have been erected on the Maunganui Rd end of the flyover to keep straight through traffic and flyover traffic separate.

I'm going to ask the local council traffic department on Monday why they have chosen such a lethal barrier system. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheap but what is a person's life worth?

I might just have to use the MAGIC word I learnt when working in a large international corporation. Whenever I wanted something done I'd point out the "liability" the company would face if it wasn't done. That word instills panic in management, if they've been warned and then the company incurs liability because of their inactivity, what does that do for their career paths?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Like it or not, they are an accepted type of barrier system in NZ. At the moment. You might be better off using the two magic words, Fair Go, if you want to frighten them in to an answer. Or write to your local MP. Road Controlling Authorities tend to jump a bit higher when they have to respond to a minister. You might get the standard reply, but the more people who complain individually the more chance there is of getting something done.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Send them a picture of a sliced and diced body.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Eurotrash
    I travel that route every day and while cheesecutters are not the safest barrier in the world, if its a choice between them or no barrier at all then I'd prefer them to the number if near misses I've had where arseholes have not checking before cutting into the lane coming off the flyover because they're getting impatient with the car infront not getting up to speed fast enough

Bike
    Eurotrash
    Of course the actual fix for that issue is reminding the general public to do head checks, indicate for 3 seconds before changing lanes etc but that's too difficult eh?

Bike
    I've written to NZTA and copied ACC suggesting that a line of plastic poles on a sprung base would be better. These are used where Takitimu Drive exits onto Waihi Rd (an intersection I go through 3 or 4 times a day) and they seem very effective in preventing drivers crossing into the other lane immediately after the lanes merge.

I've also quried whether these WRBs are installed to NZTA standards - there is no separation between the WRB and the sides of the lanes and this is a 70 km/hr zone.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post

I've also quried whether these WRBs are installed to NZTA standards - there is no separation between the WRB and the sides of the lanes and this is a 70 km/hr zone.
    This is the biggest problem with WRB...inappropriate placement, leaving little-to-no margin of error.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    one that goes
    I have just driven over the Hewletts Rd flyover, first time in ages. Cheesecutter barriers have been erected on the Maunganui Rd end of the flyover to keep straight through traffic and flyover traffic separate.

I'm going to ask the local council traffic department on Monday why they have chosen such a lethal barrier system. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheap but what is a person's life worth?

I might just have to use the MAGIC word I learnt when working in a large international corporation. Whenever I wanted something done I'd point out the "liability" the company would face if it wasn't done. That word instills panic in management, if they've been warned and then the company incurs liability because of their inactivity, what does that do for their career paths?
    Steve no magic word is going to work on this issue CC have been around a long time, many have complained but alas no responce.... Aus riders have had the same issues with cheese cutters for twenty years or so now...Ride safe !!

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Its a straight short peice in 70k zone and almost always heavy traffic, you'd have to deliberately hit them wouldn't you?

Love those steel expansion bits on the bridge in the wet tho, good times.

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz976 View Post
    Its a straight short peice in 70k zone and almost always heavy traffic, you'd have to deliberately hit them wouldn't you?

Love those steel expansion bits on the bridge in the wet tho, good times.
    Yep the expansion bits need care in the wet 4 sure, keep the bike upright going over them..

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike

You live in NZ fella - The Land of No Accountability thanks to the ACC No Sue rule.
    They'll just laugh at you.This is Half Arsed Cheapest Option heaven

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    Yep the expansion bits need care in the wet 4 sure, keep the bike upright going over them..
    More fun on a good lean

Bike
    I had a long talk with the City Council traffic engineering consultants today. While they use the flexible pole barriers further down Maunganui Road, to stop northbound traffic turning right into Exeter St, the exit from the flyover has presented some exceptional conditions.

First, yes the barrier is purely to stop traffic changing lanes immediately after the exit from the flyover.

Secondly, the area is space restricted. So Armco or concrete barriers cannot be used, they have too big a footprint.

Thirdly, flexible pole barrier were initially put in. However, Bay of Plenty motorists have done something that no other motorists have done anywhere else in the country. They just drove through them. Particularly SUV drivers.

So, the flexible pole barriers were taken out and Wire Rope Barriers were put in.

I've come to the conclusion that while bikers may not consider that the WRB is the ideal barrier, we will probably have to accept that the WRB is better than having a bloody big LandCruiser come across the lane into the side of us. "Oh, sorry. I didn't see you. Nor your headlight on high beam. Nor your hi-viz vest. I was distracted by this thumping noise under my SUV."

Bike
    So - what you are saying is - no matter what 'the authorities' do, bikers are put at risk because of the poor attitudes/driving skills of others?

Bike
    Yeah, gotta love them cagers, don't you.

I guess that the probability of a motorbiker coming off and hitting the WRB would be lower than the probability of a cager (or worse, an SUV driver) coming across into your lane through a row of flexible pole barriers - cos if they're stupid enough to drive through a row of flexible poles then they wouldn't have looked to see if any bikers were there anyway, would they.

Thread Information