Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multistrada 1200

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries

Multistrada 1200

Any KBers with the new MTS1200 want to talk about the bike?

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Surely some one on KB has the new multistrada...or some experience with one?

I sat on one and concluded I would need the lower seat....

Bike
    '03 FXD
    I like the look of them but would need a step ladder to get aboard!
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    I was okay but on the balls of my feet...felt the same as the R1150GS I rode for a while....Initially I thought the 1098 was tall but not so now I am used to it....and the monster now feels like a cruiser/motard cross after the 1098...

There may just be an MTS in my near future...replacing the Monster...

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Still no MTS 1200 owners out there yet?

Bike
    MTS1200, ST-R,Sachs Madass

What ddya want to know about it?

I got mine ....white one of course (they're faster!) just last week. Sorry, a bit too early to give you an opinion. Ask me tomorrow after I do the coro run. I need to run the damn thing in, 1000km service, then Hampton Downs following weekend! All I can tell you is that the "sport" mode is something you don't take lightly....

Oh, ... and I got the standard model cos I'm a tight bugger. Or if you want to look at it another way I get to keep my other bike too!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Aha...there is one...congratulations, enjoy

And now that you have owned up...you will have to keep us informed.

I have one on order for delivery in Feb, so will look forward to hearing all about it from you...including any pitfalls I need to watch out for...

BTW I like the white one too, but have a red coming...Because it is a Ducati.

Clever move keeping both bikes...I am selling both bikes to buy the MTS...But then I may get to keep my license .....and marriage...two up touring instead of off on my own

As well as general impressions, I will be interested to learn your experience with...
    Mods you may make, and would like to make.
    Engine surging
    Tire performance and wear...(A seppo only got 1720 miles on OEM tires)
    Keyless ignition concerns
    Actual fuel consumption.
    Comfort and pillian comfort
    Wind buffeting
    Lighting at night

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Waiting with baited breath....

Bike

A quick MTS1200 evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Waiting with baited breath....
    Righto..... ! Well, the painful part was getting some miles on the duc so that we could get the 1000km service out of the way before trackday last weekend. A leisurely ride over the Coro loop put paid to that. One thing that came to light was how noisy the stock windscreen was. Hardly surprised as it seems to be the norm with most "tall traillees". I've now got a Palmer adapter bracket fitted and I must say it makes a huge difference. I did the same with my wee-strom by adding a Madstad bracket. I also took an early opportunity to swap out the original Pirelli Scorpion tires for Michellin Pilot Pures not because theres anything wrong with the Scorps, but rather that I wanted to save them for next SI tour. i've also already fitted a Givi rear luggage rack and heated grips, plus extra wiring for GPS and Radar detector .... I'm all go.

Not being a seasoned Ducati owner unlike yourself, I can only describe the power delivery of this machine as INTOXICATING! Low / midrange torque is what it's all about and my ex-Tiger 1050 doesn't even compare, as good as the Tiger is reputed to be. And while mentioning the Tiger, the Duc feels and handles much lighter even though their dry weights are similar. Now the the Duc has had it's first track day, the engine is loosening very nicely now, it's great to know you're getting your full quids worth merely by twisting the wrist. Technically, I'm still running the bike in and I apologise to Mr Ducati for bouncing off the rev limiter at least a few time on track day. LBD, I have witnessed another MTS1200 in for servicing at our local Ducati agent with it's foot pegs severely ground down - that's a loong way over. guess that if it had a centre stand fitted that may now be non-existent. In my case, the Pures proved to be not bad tyre choice for the Duc, and technically as I am still running the bike in, at least I had the decency to save a few mm chicken strip for another day. For the day, I left the suspension stock standard (this is a standard MTS1200, remember) and dropped the tyre pressures down to 32psi f/r. This was fine for a greenhorn like me! The tyres really do take a beating though...

The only other comment I'd make is that the gearshift tends to feel quite stiff on the downshift, especially 2-1 gear. I struck neutral a few times convinced that it was first! Surging - none that I can distinguish as abnormal. I think alot of the overseas folks putt around on their bikes between 2-3K rpm and complain about surging? What's that about...? The Ducs don't feel alive until you hit 4k rpm onwards. Did I mention that the brute power felt INTOXICATING? (love that word!). Can't comment on lighting at night to date, and I have no keyless ignition concerns. I know where I keep my transmitter key (outside pocket, obviously!), so refueling at servos are no less inconvenient. At the mo' I'm running about 280km per 20L tank, light comes on at about 210km, and I know that there's about 4 litres of gas left.

One future concern I have will be cost of servicing! Even though the service intervals have doubled from previous models, I understand that it takes an hour and a half just to remove the tank! To fit the wiring for the heated grips was a 3 hour job! So I expect reasonably large service bills each 24K kms when they do the timing belt......

Did I mention about the power....! Oh, talking of, modes..... I have decided to leave it set on Touring mode as it gives you access to full power in a calm predictable manner. Sport gives instant throttle response - fine for the track, but I feel a bit over done for everyday road work. Urban I thought was more jerky around town than the Touring mode, and feels like a dead horse when pulling away from lights. Enduro.... never been there!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Great first impressions...thanks.

I believe the gear shift loosens up with time....hope so in your case. I am on my third Duc, the MTS will be 4, and that would be my experience....at least I do not notice the gearshift as much after running a while.

I will keep the Palmer screen in the back of my mind for the future...at 5' 7" I am not the tallest...and reaching the ground will be a slight problem...not sure if the screen will be..?

I used to get a lot of buffeting on the monster until I removed the mirrors and fitted barends. I will be interested to see if the same happens on the MTS...I have a nice set of Rizoma bar ends on hand to try out.

Did you go with OEM or aftermarket heated grips?

Intoxicating will be the correct word...my 1098 is scary enough and I believe the MTS has the same torque to 6500 as the 1198. The 6 to 10 k rush is fun.

So I can count of 280km per tank max safe (planning for a couple of rallys next year) not as much as I would have liked but is the same as I read elsewhere.

I have been looking at lighting upgrades, Not much we can do with the H11 globes, I cannot find any plus 90 globes...HID will not work because of the warm up time so the only option I can find is fitting a couple of "Fog" lamps on the nice brackets made by sw motech. Fog lamps are legal accessories, (Extra head/driving lights are not.)

Thanks again...look forward to more impressions and getting my own in a few months time

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you could go to +30%: http://hella.co.nz/?t=9&View=Full&pcid=330&pid=1107

Not a lot, but perhaps better than nothing. Also possible they are excellent from stock.

ZX14 has H11 low, H9 high I believe, and they are incredibly good, even stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Looks like you could go to +30%: http://hella.co.nz/?t=9&View=Full&pcid=330&pid=1107

Not a lot, but perhaps better than nothing. Also possible they are excellent from stock.

I've been advised, but not yet can confirm that the stock headlights are supposed to be quite good. None the less, I have now fitted the SW Motech light mounting brackets for LED lights yet to go on. These LED "fog lights" are extremely white and extremely bright one being a 24W wide beam and the other a 10W spot beam. The potential problem of course is the propensity to blind oncoming cagers not only at night but also in daylight. I managed to get hold of a dimmer which will hopefully keep a lid on these things. If anyone is interested in what and where I got these just PM me.

Hey LBD, the heat grips I got fitted were the standard Oxford ones which I have also had on my last two bikes. For me it standardises the grip feel for me which ever bike I rode..... and it beats paying $600+ for factory heated grips. As for the 6K-10k rpm rush..... yeah, I've experienced that, and I look forward to spending a bit more of life up there in that region once the bike loosens up more. Trouble is, apart from the track there ain't too many places on too many roads you can experience the best of these bikes without feeling legally guilty about it!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I did not notice that little red 30% brighter the first time I looked at the Hella site.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE

If you think that ZX14 headlights are good (which they are) you sould ride behind a new Concours 14 at night some time, I swear you'd be able to turn your own lights off!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    If you think that ZX14 headlights are good (which they are) you sould ride behind a new Concours 14 at night some time, I swear you'd be able to turn your own lights off!
    I did the same with my wee-strom. They come standard with a pair of H4 lamps, ie. what you would typically find set up on a car. I've now swapped them out with Hella Plus90's ! That's bright

Thread Information