Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACC levies for 2011/12 announced - (vote for a tyre levy)

Bike
    '09 GSX-R750, '13 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjoy The Ride View Post
    If a small levy was put on all tyres sold then everyone who uses the road (even cyclists) will pay some small contribution towards the costs.
    Fair enough.

It’ll also mean that high power cars can be isolated simply by the profile of their tyres – i.e. more levy on low-profile tyres and wider tyres etc.
    I should pay higher ACC levies for my car because I upgraded my wheels and tyres to improve handling and braking? WTF?

Also, we’ll get less burn-outs by the knobs who know no better.
    Wrong. The boyracers usually use cheapshit chinese tyres for doing burnouts, even they aren't stupid enough to burn $500 Pirellis.

They should remove the levies from registration and and put the levies on driver licensing. The current system is extremely unfair for people who own more than 1 vehicle.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by \m/ View Post
    They should remove the levies from registration and and put the levies on driver licensing. The current system is extremely unfair for people who own more than 1 vehicle.
    So make it unfair for poor nana, who drives 1000km per year?

I think a tyre levy has some merit.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    gsf600s k2
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

I think a tyre levy has some merit.
    Agree. A levy that is proportional to the amount of time/km spent on the road (at risk) either by way of a fuel or tyre levy is surely the fairest. That way it is basicaly pay as you go. High milage riders will scream ' thats not fair' , but neither is low milage riders paying a high fixed one size fits all fee.
    Somewhere there must be a middle ground we could all agree on ?. Ah who am I kidding.

Bike
    77 XL250
    You realise that ACC don't give a fuck about fairness. They would happily put a 100% tax on bike tyres to "get those money sucking motorcyclists off the road".

I am old enough to remember the old days when we had a steep tariff on tyres to protect a non-existant 'local industry'. The number of people squeezing every km out of their tyres was scarey.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Actually, its poor Nana who is the worst affected by our current levy system.

She pays a full two-weeks of her pension to register her little peugeot run about.

Yet she only gets accident cover for it.

She gets no income protection insurance.

By comparison, a company director pays about a days income to register his V8. And he claims the GST back, and gets a 30% tax win as well.

Plus, he gets over $100,000 worth of income protection insurance at the same time.

Grey Power should be among our biggest allies !
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Gone
    ^ Should of thought of all that shit before voting in a business/rich people orientated party into power.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    ^ Should of thought of all that shit before voting in a business/rich people orientated party into power.
    Yeah could be right but you would have to convert your bike to vege oil or electricity if you voted the other way, assuming bikes were seen as a viable alternative form of transport to knitted sandles.
    Going down the path they were headed just before the tip-out, you probably would have had to fit bicycle peddles or flintstone it.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Thread Information