Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACC levies for 2011/12 announced - (vote for a tyre levy)

Bike
    FJ1200A

Lightbulb ACC levies for 2011/12 announced - (vote for a tyre levy)

Ok the new ACC levy consultation is out and the news is not too bad for bikes – a small increase for 601+cc bikes and a small drop for others – although this is assuming a rise in the petrol levy from 9.9c per litre to 12.9 cents .

The consultation document gives a few ideas about future charges – such as looking at the driver/rider – age, infringements, advanced rider status (I’m alright here so far) ; the safety features of the vehicle (how will that affect us bikers? – do we all have to go out and get ABS?) etc. This is certainly something we’re all after – to make sure it’s a fairer way to pay for our individual risk, but there’s a catch: us ‘safer’ riders may pay less but we must all remain aware that the cross-subsidization of motorbikes by other ‘passenger’ vehicles means that no matter how much of a discount we get as individuals, there is still plenty of ammunition for ACC to increase the amount we pay. So let’s not get too complacent.

One other point I want to throw in to the pot, and it hasn’t EVER been discussed before: I have a way to help collect some of the levies in a fairer way – and this means that even cyclists and ATVs will pay (some of) their way:

A TYRE LEVY

If a small levy was put on all tyres sold then everyone who uses the road (even cyclists) will pay some small contribution towards the costs. It’ll also mean that high power cars can be isolated simply by the profile of their tyres – i.e. more levy on low-profile tyres and wider tyres etc. Also, we’ll get less burn-outs by the knobs who know no better, and perhaps even more considerate driving with less high speed cornering (this affects cars more than bikes fortunately!) Even trailers, caravans, ATVs, tractors etc will pay something even if it’s not enough it’s at least a token gesture that we can all appreciate. The more you ride/drive then the more you pay – simple. Enforcement of this tax is already done by the warrant of fitness so there’s no policing. It’s a cheap way to ensure some fairness in levy collection.

Mad? No. After a bit of hunting I found out that there is a Federal Tire (sic) Tax in the US – so why can’t we have something like this?

Let’s have a discussion about it – and maybe send submissions to ACC to get them to ‘think outside the box’!

Bike
    Prefer Buell but not a snob
    I don't have a problem with a levy on tyres so long as it comes off somewhere else.

And on the subject of things to be taken into consideration...how about GENDER?
    I don't hear about a lot of female riders having major bins...I'm curious, are there some stats on this?
    ...it is better to live 1 day as a Tiger than 1000 years as a sheep...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    To the tyre levy, I say bugger off...

But then, I'm a high miler, so I would. Going through around 3-4 sets of tyres a year... thank goodness the tyres last a bit more than sportsbike ones.

I'm starting to get really annoyed with the continued increased costs... constantly taxed and levied... I want to see inflation go up just because they keep fucking with things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Apparently there ARE stats, just found this on KB

Female vs male accident and fatality statistics
    A quick scratch around found this pdf factsheet

http://www.transport.govt.nz/researc...-Factsheet.pdf

young men were the largest group to die to our roads

after 35years of age, female drivers die more that male drivers per km travelled (chart on page 1), so if women and men drove the same distance's, the women drivers over 35 years of age are more likely to die

male motorcyclists were the highest group to die

female motorcyclists were the lowest group to die

Its the motorcyle stats I am interested... and I think its worth pursuing.

Hey Gremlin I am a high miler as well but if it comes OFF elsewhere then it really doesn't make any difference in the big scheme except that other road users that currently don't contribute to the fund will be forced to...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    pdf link isn't complete bb...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    That study is interesting reading.

Since 1985 there has been a 57 percent reduction in the number of 20-24 year old car drivers involved
    in fatal crashes and an 87 percent reduction in the number of motorcycle riders in the same age group
    involved in fatal crashes.

Once again I shake my head in bewiderment at the way The Dishonorable Nick Smith twisted stats to make motorcycle stats look worse than car stats... Sure not dying means that there are bodies to fix at ACCs cost but doesn't it also mean that we are better/safer/more aware riders than we used to be? Hitting a car is a better option than not hitting and going over a cliff!

Bike
    Bandit

Summary of levy proposals for 2011/12 link..

If your interested the summary can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    KB does not require a high standard of membership behavior.

Bike

Bike
    08 ZX10R
    I do have a problem with a levy on tyres.

Big up's to you for giving it some thought but to encourage people to run crap tyres...sounds like a great idea

I choose to run the stickiest road tyres I can (more than likely increasing my safety on the road) which not only cost more, they wear out faster and I go through them fairly regularly. So your saying I should be further penalised with a levy I wouldn't be paying if I ran sh*t tyres? (but had a higher risk of an accident)

Same applies for those non boy racers out there. Buying decent rubber for your 20" + wheels on an HSV FPV or performance euro usually means great ROAD HANDLING - ie helps the car stay on the road and less ACC issues - but the sacrifice is wear.

Tyres are THE most important component (aside from the obvious) of any vehicle and I reckon and people should be encouraged to buy the best they can afford.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    +1 to no levy on tyres.
    Put it all on fuel and drop it from regos.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    FJ1200A
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I do have a problem with a levy on tyres.

Big up's to you for giving it some thought but to encourage people to run crap tyres...sounds like a great idea

I choose to run the stickiest road tyres I can (more than likely increasing my safety on the road) which not only cost more, they wear out faster and I go through them fairly regularly. So your saying I should be further penalised with a levy I wouldn't be paying if I ran sh*t tyres? (but had a higher risk of an accident)
    ?? But levies can be set by tyre type - obviously Sh*t tyres would have a higher levy and the levy would be lower for SAFER tyres (incidentally, soft tyres are NOT necessarily safer - except under certain conditions, rider skill is a more relevant factor). Overall this would knock off $$$$ from the annual rego, bring in an extra $2m from 'untapped' sources who don't pay anything at the moment.

Anyway, just throwing this out there for discussion, and to generate some argument for my first posting! - great to get everyone's opinion, keep it rolling....

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by buellbabe View Post
    And on the subject of things to be taken into consideration...how about GENDER?
    I don't hear about a lot of female riders having major bins...I'm curious, are there some stats on this?
    The stats are available, but without some context they don’t tell you much. It is a bit like tourists. You can state that they were involved in X percent of crashes, but unless you know how many are on the road you don’t know if they are under or overrepresented.

A couple of factoids I have to hand. 140 crashes last year where they thought speed was factor. 136 riders were male, four were chicks - 3%.

33 at fault riders in fatal crashes, 32 male, 1 female – 3%.

Fairly safe to say if you looked at all crashes the figure would be higher but it is very hard to say whether they are better or worse riders [apart from the obvious] as how do you know the male/female split of the riding population ?

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by buellbabe View Post
    I don't hear about a lot of female riders having major bins...
    Everyone knows tht women's dozy driving is the trigger of 87.35% of all motor vehical accidents. How we expect them to be safe in the kitchen is beyond me.

Prolly safer if all women are confined to the bedroom until further notice.

No, seriously
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjoy The Ride View Post
    This is certainly something we’re all after – to make sure it’s a fairer way to pay for our individual risk
    Like hell it is! You've obviously completely missed the whole point of ACC.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    these dollar things cant be worth very much because;
    Motorcycles 601cc+
    (includes the motorcycle safety levy)

$426.92
    $433.47
    $460.80
    $486.88
    sure is a heap of em for ONE YEAR

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Thread Information