Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Country Tourer?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yachtie10 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWh4H...eature=related
    just in case you havnt seen it

I think the varadero or the vstrom would be my choice just wish they were a bit lighter

Theres also the new triumph 800 which will be worth a look when it arrives
    mmmm, no I hadn't seen that, cheers. Looks like it has small tyres again, like Varadero, Tenere, GS etc. Annoying. Still, going to be waiting to see tank size etc, but could be very promising. Looks like it will replace the Varadero as they're similar. Lets hope it drops some weight.

Triumph? Going back to dealers etc weighing into decisions, I will continue to avoid Triumph, Aprilia, Piaggio etc like the plague until Triumph NZ is not in the equation. Pity, as the Tiger 1050 could be a really good model.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    GS, GS , GS.

And dont let on-paper weight concern you.

The GSA fully loaded is the easiest bike i've done U turns on, particularly super low speed. It's also effortless in the twisties, big bars, responsive handling - very litte effort required. I had a ball on it on the coro loop.

I can tell you still haven't ridden one!
    Indeed I haven't... yet. I don't fully believe paper weights, the KTM is always reviewed as wondering where 50kg went. Its bulk does concern me for tight and or rough stuff. Prepared to give Experience BMW a shot tho, 3 computers raises the risk for me. I think I'll wait until around 2011 when its rumoured BMW will finally figure out how to put all indicators on one switch block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The crossrunner and crosstourer are interesting. Based on photos, the crossrunner is more road biased (so more angled to what I want to do) whereas the crosstourer is more off-road.

Unfortunately, the crossrunner apparently has a tweaked version of the VFR800 VTEC engine, which I hate, but its closer to being reality. The crosstourer looks to have a much better engine (albeit, I haven't ridden a VFR1200F as I'm not interested) being the V4 from the 1200 but probably a bike arriving in 2012. Provided shots are accurate, the crossrunner is fitted with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tyres (same as new Multistrada) possibly in standard sizes. The crosstourer has narrower tyres, bigger front tyre, so probably very similar to the R1200GS and Tenere 1200, at 110/80/19 and 150/70/17.

No Pirelli Angels in those sizes, but the Scorpion Trail is available, which replaces the Pirelli Scorpion Sync - which I love, having finished 7 sets already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    What is the lawnmower bit? Sharp handling?

? My particular example sounds like a lawn mower to me, certainly not a great sounding bike but hey sharp handling for sure, stable, planted, no wallowing or floating.It may not be up to a VFR, dunno but it's the most competent bike I've ridden For NZs poor roads and I would assume that all it's stable mates are equally adept and composed over less than perfect roads.

Kl100rt :You're talking about the flying brick not the new generation boxers with the para lever dodaky , Gs, R, RS, RT, etc they handle well man.

Oh bugger

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    mmmm, no I hadn't seen that, cheers. Looks like it has small tyres again, like Varadero, Tenere, GS etc. Annoying. Still, going to be waiting to see tank size etc, but could be very promising. Looks like it will replace the Varadero as they're similar. Lets hope it drops some weight.

Triumph? Going back to dealers etc weighing into decisions, I will continue to avoid Triumph, Aprilia, Piaggio etc like the plague until Triumph NZ is not in the equation. Pity, as the Tiger 1050 could be a really good model.

Indeed I haven't... yet. I don't fully believe paper weights, the KTM is always reviewed as wondering where 50kg went. Its bulk does concern me for tight and or rough stuff. Prepared to give Experience BMW a shot tho, 3 computers raises the risk for me. I think I'll wait until around 2011 when its rumoured BMW will finally figure out how to put all indicators on one switch block.
    "Triumph" Try to keep up people!

I thought this thread was never going to get there!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post

V-Strom 650, every one should try one, very very underrated. A few readily available accessories and you feel like you could take on the world never mind one country. This bike should have sold in the thousands to Kiwis, I have no idea why it hasn't. Oddball looks maybe?
    Probably the same reason TDM's are thin on the ground. they just quietly & efficiently ( standard pipes ) get on with the task in hand rather than promise to increase your sex appeal or impress your mates at the pub. Most of the ones that are out their are probably way out in the boonies having a great time.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The crosstourer has narrower tyres, bigger front tyre, so probably very similar to the R1200GS and Tenere 1200, at 110/80/19 and 150/70/17.

No Pirelli Angels in those sizes, but the Scorpion Trail is available, which replaces the Pirelli Scorpion Sync - which I love, having finished 7 sets already.
    Just read a test of the BM/Super Ten/Multi and they put them all on Dunlop Roadsmart's, apparently it did them all big favours on the road.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    ? My particular example sounds like a lawn mower to me, certainly not a great sounding bike but hey sharp handling for sure, stable, planted, no wallowing or floating.It may not be up to a VFR, dunno but it's the most competent bike I've ridden For NZs poor roads and I would assume that all it's stable mates are equally adept and composed over less than perfect roads.

Kl100rt :You're talking about the flying brick not the new generation boxers with the para lever dodaky , Gs, R, RS, RT, etc they handle well man.

Love that 'R'!!! The flat twins, paralever, front forky things very cool! It was just the K100LT I was dissing. I'm sure they're okay but not the mmm factor of the flat twin.

Bike
    Suzuki GS1200SS,Moto Guzzi Bellagio 940
    When selecting for the Oz trip I looked at and weighted the importance of...

1. Range
    2. Comfort
    3. Lugage capacity
    4. Engine performance / handling etc

and it had to be a bike you would want to ride (ie not a Honda DN-1 or Goldwing etc).

Range - we had to worry about some 350k ish hops between gas stations.
    Comfort - we were riding 4-8 hours a day for 30 days. Cruisers / Sports bikes were out.
    Lugage - most bikes list their maximum load (including ridder) and have ability to mount panniers easily or not.
    Engine performance / handling - no point getting a bike that can handle another 30+Kgs of lugage etc or they handiling is so poor when weighted up. Most bikes are pretty good but settting up for touring can cause issues.

• For me it was the DL650, great for the first 3 points, not so good in the handling department once you got the bike heavy (cornering and brakes).
    • For the wife it was a G650GS BMW... noisy little thumper that did everything asked of it easily. Not a single bad mark except that thumping.
    • Both got 36l side panniers and a duffle bag full of gear. No misgivings on the selection after 10100km of joyful touring.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Saw this review on MCUSA. Going to be a bit pricey in NZD but looks a good bike.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/271/84...irst-Ride.aspx
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    More info/review on the new Triumph, shamelessly pillaged from elsewhere.
    http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/tr...ger-800-review

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Saw this review on MCUSA. Going to be a bit pricey in NZD but looks a good bike.
    Yes, yes, the 'venture dudes have been anticipating it for yonks. Me, I just can't get my head around 260.8156Kg. Where are they hiding all the ballast? Fuck, that's 85Kg heavier than my Buell, a big fat tourier.

All the new materials, technology, ideas: worthless. New machines have been getting heavier for 20 years, they're fookin heavier every time I look. There's a twinshock PE250 in the workshop, (OK, OK it's not a "'venture" bike, but it's a good example anyway) it's made of recycled allied bomb casings, 2" steam pipe, coca cola cans and tofu and I can pick it up and put it on the welding table.

I don’t understand, why are they lumbering us with these behemoths? Can they not make as much money out of lightweight bikes? And the fact that there are, in fact a couple of freaks that can manage to ride them on a fire break is no help. Fuckit, run out of steam, I’m, off to find me lunch tipple.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yes, yes, the 'venture dudes have been anticipating it for yonks. Me, I just can't get my head around 260.8156Kg. Where are they hiding all the ballast? Fuck, that's 85Kg heavier than my Buell, a big fat tourier.

All the new materials, technology, ideas: worthless. New machines have been getting heavier for 20 years, they're fookin heavier every time I look. There's a twinshock PE250 in the workshop, (OK, OK it's not a "'venture" bike, but it's a good example anyway) it's made of recycled allied bomb casings, 2" steam pipe, coca cola cans and tofu and I can pick it up and put it on the welding table.

I don’t understand, why are they lumbering us with these behemoths? Can they not make as much money out of lightweight bikes? And the fact that there are, in fact a couple of freaks that can manage to ride them on a fire break is no help. Fuckit, run out of steam, I’m, off to find me lunch tipple.
    It's 15kg heavier than my Boulevard! For a 1200cc road cruiser it's acceptable but I'd hate to drop it out in the boondocks somewhere!

My C50T was $14,600 on the road, and I reckon give it a set of appropriate tyres and it'd be a good adventure bike! If it's an all-road rather than off-road bike you're after, it's got unbeatable storage and room, a low CoG, low seat, good low-rpm torque and ideal gearing, shaft drive and heaps of steering leverage. With the rear shock jacked up on its highest setting it's proven comfortable enough solo and good two-up with enough ground clearance for any gravel road.

There you go!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    You know my thoughts on what makes good sports tourer, the mts1200....but reading your list, Ithink this bike ....allready mentioned in another post....seems to fit the bill, if you are happy to wait another year or two...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/83...pt-Debuts.aspx

Bike
    15 Indian Chief Vintage
    My 2c worth would be the Buell Ulysses..it does everything you have listed and has all the features except a massive fuel tank still 250kms isnt bad..comfortable on both road and off road, long days, good weather protection
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead
    Do not walk ahead as I may not follow.
    Do not walk beside me as the path is narrow
    In fact FU*K off and leave me alone

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
    has all the features except a massive fuel tank still 250kms isnt bad.
    I get a comfortable 300 touring.

But the lights are shit. Must do something about that I suppose.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information