Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Riding Virgin

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...

Bike Riding Virgin

EEEK! So I've been lurking here a bit - keeping an eye on things - and I've just signed up to do my basic handling skills course thingy. I've had a full cage (oooh - terminology) license for multiple years and I don't think I have too many demerit points, and I'm over 25, so I thought I might also see if I can fast-track my full license so that when I hit UK shores in 14 weeks time, I'm bike ready!

So. A few questions to all those old, cold hands out there.

a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a commuter position or a sports one.
    More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting (Wellington-Porirua each day)?

d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one woudl need such 'power'?

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
    Nomes

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurygnomes
    More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.
    Evidence of bentness, or anything that looks too new, and might be covering up bentness from an accident. It's not necessarily bad that a bike has been crashed, as long as it's been repaired properly and isn't crooked.
    The other things are excessive wear'n'tear, or things that made end up being a big problem and/or cost heaps to fix.
    It's probably not worthwhile expanding on this for you as a newbie - the best idea is for you to get a pre-purchase check done on your potential buy, by someone knowledgeable or a shop, as there'd be too many things for you to be aware of / check up on.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).
    Lowsiding, assuming you've got decent gear on AND nothing else happens (like sliding into a kerb/car/tree/post/den of lions/vat of acid).
    Low-siding is when your front wheel loses grip (braking hard or cornering) and the bike lies down. Highsiding is (generally) where the back tyre loses grip when cornering, then regains it abruptly (usually when you panic and snap the throttle shut). This has the effect of catapulting you off the bike, so you hit the ground harder.

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one woudl need such 'power'?
    Only if you're about to be crunched, and can accelerate out of the way.
    Doesn't happen too often, especially if you're being a Lert and keeping an eye open for hazards. I can think of only one occasion when it's happend to me - the first day commuting in D'Auckland, when I wasn't as sharp to the dangers as I could've been, and had to accelerate because a bus was about to squish me against a car. If I'd been "on to it", I wouldn't have put myself in that position.

Oh - and welcome to the KiwiBiker gargre, Nomes! :spudwave:
    Hope you will enjoy your new biking experience.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

a) what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting (Wellington-Porirua each day)?

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    Hi and welcome.
    A) I look for general tidiness and nothing loose. If the owner has neglected the easy stuff then the harder and more important stuff has probably been neglected too. I check under the exhaust pipe for signs of rust. Being able to stick my finger through a pipe is not a good thing. Also like to check how it starts from cold (so just turn up when they're not expecting you so they haven't had the bike warming up for 10 minutes). You'll need to take the bike on the road to find out how straight it is (the bike ... not the road). Find a set of left and right turns and if it feels different depending on which way you turn that'll be a clue. When you find the bike of your dreams ... or the one you can afford ... get back to us here and ask if there is anything in particular to look for on that model. There's a lot of collective wisdom and experience here as I've found to my benefit.

C) Minimum wet weather gear depends on how heavy the rain is and far you're going. I've got a waterproof PVC jacket that goes over my normal jacket (second hand for $15!), normal leggings (remember to sit down when you're trying new ones on to get the right fit) and some boots (but not proper bike boots yet).

F) 'Power to get out of trouble' for me is about acceleration, not top speed. If some fool is heading at you it's sometimes easier to speed up and go around the front of them than to brake so they pass in front of you.

G) You'll be fine. Just don't trust any other road users to do what they're supposed to do because they don't, and just ride within the limits of your skill and your bike's ability.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Dump the boyfriend and buy a bike?
    I think you'll fit in just nicely.
    For riding gear, check with local bike shops. They sometimes do starter kits for newbies at a good price. Try not to scrimp, spend as much as you can on quality gear, you won't regret it.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    EEEK! So I've been lurking here a bit - keeping an eye on things - and I've just signed up to do my basic handling skills course thingy. I've had a full cage (oooh - terminology) license for multiple years and I don't think I have too many demerit points, and I'm over 25, so I thought I might also see if I can fast-track my full license so that when I hit UK shores in 14 weeks time, I'm bike ready!

So. A few questions to all those old, cold hands out there.

a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a commuter position or a sports one.

d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    Welcome...

C. I come in from Newlands so I'm not coming quite as far as you. You want to look for something fairly waterproof and safe. For example...a car .

Make sure you set aside some funds to buy some protective gear, I would suggest an armoured jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Normally this stuff is fairly waterproof but if you're riding in rain...expect to get wet (the water tends to collect in the crouch area and soak through). It might be a good idea to leave a change of clothes at work.

D. My borther in law did it, he thought it was bloody good.

E. As long as you know your limitations it's all good, ie. if you completed the course and then went out and brought a new litre bike thinking you'd be able to ride like Rossie you'd be on borrowed time.

F. That swings both ways. The power can also get you into trouble. Generally speaking with more powerful bike, the brakes are better too so you get the whole package.

G. You'll be fine. I would suggest that you get along to some KiwiBiker rides, you'll learn a huge amount riding with others.

Bike
    Goose

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    Heya,
    I did my CBTA with Andre Templeton (Roadsafe) about a month or so ago. I would definately recommend Roadsafe to anyone. Andrew is extremely good at what he does and really helped me get through the course. I can assure you though, that it is NOT easy. Andrew will help you get through it though. I had him screaming at the top of his lungs things like "relax, lock your knees, etc etc" sounds kinda harsh, but it sure helped me!! Also dont speed or go any higher than 2nd gear, he kinda gets mad at that.
    Also seeing as you are over 25 and (im assuming) that you've got a full D/L you can fast track to your full licence in no time through Roadsafe. Basically all you have to do is complete the basic handling, pass your scratchy test and get your learners, then from what I remember you can do your restricted through him almost immeadiately, then just as fast your Full. However I do remember him saying that he may not be able to do this for much longer, cant remember why though sorry!!
    Also bikewise, I decided on a GN250, as it has no fairings to f*ck up and is cheap cheap cheap, so when I get my full then I will spend the $$. I did try a few other bikes but to be honest this was the most comfortable for me, and by far the cheapest!!
    Anyway, good luck I hope you manange to get everything sorted!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    -
    ...d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)...
    Didn't do the CBTA, but did do a course with Roadsafe with Andrew and found it to be great. He's a great tutor and easy to get on with.

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    Hey Str8J, I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike), but am too practical (*sigh* will pass on the attractive fairings since they're gonna get ripped the first, second and third time I go down) to get the bike I REALLY like the look of.

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. And I'm SOOO chuffed that loads of you have taken the time to reply to what must be somewhat standard questions. I can't wait to go on a ride with some of you lot...I know I'll have lots to learn (somewhere at the back of the pack)!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. ..
    Hey, it's all good. A real biker has fun on ANY bike. (Look at Mr Stonechucker - he's having as much fun on his "new" 100cc as on his R1).

And even Mr WINJA has a 50cc Street Magic I believe. And I'm sure he has fun on it. Probably not in ways that any sane person would wish to emulate, but chacun a son gout .

You'll have a ball with a Gn250.

And welcome, from Nana

Just remember, keep the black squishy bits down, pink squishy bits up, always.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Goose
    Hey Str8J, I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike), but am too practical (*sigh* will pass on the attractive fairings since they're gonna get ripped the first, second and third time I go down) to get the bike I REALLY like the look of.

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. And I'm SOOO chuffed that loads of you have taken the time to reply to what must be somewhat standard questions. I can't wait to go on a ride with some of you lot...I know I'll have lots to learn (somewhere at the back of the pack)!
    Hey dude, im (apparently) the tomboy form 'Nam, and I really really really wanted a sports bike, however I think practicality MUST come before anything else. I know that im gonna have a few offs, maybe lots and I dont wanna have to worry about f*cking up my "thousands of $$ more than I could afford" bike everytime I get out on the road!!
    Basically you need to start somewhere, and when your more confident, get that sports bike you always wanted - that's what im gonna do!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Gixxer
    I did the CBTA, It was great that I could get on a bigger bike (legally),
    Well worth doing.

Sorry, dont have time to write too much more.
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    91 FXR150r
    Hiya Eurygnomes!

I have decided to go for a compromise of a bike - 2004 GSX250. Guy in Palmy is selling one for $3900.00 which I like the look of, he has stripped the stickers off it and put a wider profile tyre on the rear and it looks pretty cool

I kinda started thinking about the whole "but it doesn't have as much power as a Bandit (for example)", but at the end of the day it is a learner bike, and gee if you apply yourself in the whole learning thing then I have no doubt you can get the GSX moving along!!! For me it's about the style of bike I will be wanting to ride once I am on full licence, which is definitely sports. So no use learning on a more upright bike even if it has more power.....

There is also the economics of it - The Bandit was sec hand imported (no history available) born in 1999 (6 yrs old, no warranty) and basically the same money.

Anyways, that's my five cents worth....for what it's worth (five cents last time I looked.... )

Let me know what you decide - will be interested to hear!!!

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800

Ta muchly,
    Nomes
    Welcome aboard the site Eurygnomes. Be generally reassured you made the right choice re b/f vs bike! Well done. Any of your family on here?
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Although it's great to think that you will come off, it may not happen. I haven't had a bin in the couple of years that I've been riding....yet. The trick is balancing that nagging fear of binning, you'll learn nothing if you let that fear take complete control and you might as well ride a scooter. On the other hand, it's that level of fear that keeps you from pushing the envelope too far.

I would suggest getting a bike that you're comfortable on and that you like the look of. Don't worry if you come off and break the fairings (they can be repaired or replaced), so long as you get through unscathed then all is good.

What do the rest of your family ride?

Bike
    sold it :(
    John Wright does CBTA? Didn't know that, suppose I should get around to giving him a ring sometime.

Thread Information