Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick of Honda CBF250 already

Bike
    Black Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Keep it - get your full as soon as possible then you have a choice of anything you can afford.

Keep the 250 clean and tidy and retain any service records and it will give you a good return when you up-size.
    I've read so many times how once one, gets ones' full, one then upgrades.

Is it law that just because you can, you should? What if the rider isn't ready but just because KB World says upgrade, some do and fuck it up.

Me, I'll be sticking to my little nippy until the day arrives that my riding gives it justice!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Is it law that just because you can, you should?
    Yes. Once one gets ones full licence one must add 100cc of capacity every month.

If you don't own a litre bike by the time you've finished reading this sentence you're under arrest.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    considering most late model diesel utes will see off 100 in under 8 seconds,
    Since when? The Navara ST-X struggles to be in the low 10s range. The latest Hilux VBox tested is only pulling 11s 0-100s, the 225kw TRD Hilux runs a claimed 7.2s 0-100.
    http://www.farmermotorgroup.co.nz/ad...vara_promo.pdf

As for bored of a CBF250, fair enough. Now learn how to ride it better, ride with a few experienced and decent people, get some training done and read the book that Katman tells people to. Most of all, stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I've read so many times how once one, gets ones' full, one then upgrades.

Is it law that just because you can, you should? What if the rider isn't ready but just because KB World says upgrade, some do and fuck it up.

Me, I'll be sticking to my little nippy until the day arrives that my riding gives it justice!
    Fair comment and full credit to you for wanting to get your riding skill top notch.

The desire to upgrade it usually in response to wanting more of the enjoyment motorcycling offers - more power rush, more speed, better handling, cornering, braking the ability to ride further with ease and in comfort, add a pillion etc.

Without trying to be an arse I am confident that when you upsize from your 250 you'll have little interst in going back to it.

As for what size is desirable, If KBers were really honest the modern 600's and similar are probably ideal for NZ - take a Street Triple for example - grunty, heaps of power and attacks the hills better than most larger and heavier bikes. Absolutely fine for a full day on the open road too!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    As for what size is desirable, If KBers were really honest the modern 600's and similar are probably ideal for NZ - take a Street Triple for example - grunty, heaps of power and attacks the hills better than most larger and heavier bikes. Absolutely fine for a full day on the open road too!
    Absolute dribble, well done indeed!

Yep, a middle weight is perfectly adequate, but that does not make it everyones cup of tea. Or comfortable for that matter.

We all want something a little bit different for our needs, as no two of us share the same. I ride a big block because it fits with how I ride, (even if that is like a fuckwit most of the time).

Opinions are like arsholes, it's true. One should not try and speak for such a large bunch of fore mentioned arsholes lightly.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akkadian View Post
    Hi there. Bought a 2008 CBF250 when I got my licence a few weeks ago and am kind of sick of it already. I'm sure this has been covered before but what would you recommend as a bulletproof reliable fast 250 for me? Hornet, VTR or a Bandit? Something else? 5k max
    I have just finished running up 12,000ks in 15months on my CBF250. Yes it has no grunt under 5,000 revs, you have to work the gearbox like a 2 stroke to keep it winging out of the corners. Will cruise all day at 100kph t Top speed an honest 130k's. , not a lot of reserve power for overtaking on the open road, will do 360k's without hitting reserve, Best headlight of any small bike. Very smooth for a single.

Like any bike it can also be ridden into corners far too fast. Brilliant handling with Sports Demons fitted.

0 to 100 times are fairly irrelevant, Grunt avalible to pull out and go like shit to pass a stock truck is more important, eg; 80-130kph. In this respect the CBF is definitely not the quickest. But that in itself teaches a new rider to think twice about the safety of passing time/distance required .
    If speed is your only goal, the CBF will be too slow. If learning how to get the best out of any given machine and develop youself as a rider it has a lot to offer.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    1996 ZX6-R
    Interesting replies one and all. The problem is this. I got my licence to have the quick acceleration and thrill of riding on two wheels, not to sit on something that struggles at 100k into a head wind and sounds attrocious. Didn't do home work at all before buying and now regret it. In saying that, I have ridden 6000ks in the month I have owned this bike because I am doing a 200km a day commute and have also been on "group rides" every day for the past two weeks of Christmas Holiday so don't really consider myself a noob anymore. I don't know even 10% of what there is to know yet, which is why I am here, but I do know that there has to be something quicker, more reliable, more comfortable and more satisfying than what I have at the moment or what is the point in bike ownership at all. Not interested in carving up corners, just want to smash it off the line (just like the car driver I am). Only 8 months until full licence, unless the law change in June farks that up, but want to have fun in the meantime if possible. Bike is on TM now. Hope to make some of the cash back I have wasted.

Bike
    gsf600s k2
    Interesting replies one and all. The problem is this. I got my licence to have the quick acceleration and thrill of riding on two wheels, not to sit on something that struggles at 100k into a head wind and sounds attrocious. Didn't do home work at all before buying and now regret it. In saying that, I have ridden 6000ks in the month I have owned this bike because I am doing a 200km a day commute and have also been on "group rides" every day for the past two weeks of Christmas Holiday so don't really consider myself a noob anymore. I don't know even 10% of what there is to know yet, which is why I am here, but I do know that there has to be something quicker, more reliable, more comfortable and more satisfying than what I have at the moment or what is the point in bike ownership at all. Not interested in carving up corners, just want to smash it off the line (just like the car driver I am). Only 8 months until full licence, unless the law change in June farks that up, but want to have fun in the meantime if possible. Bike is on TM now. Hope to make some of the cash back I have wasted.
    When I had my wee Scorpio 225 I got frustrated with the lack of power very quickly also. I spent all my time on it focused on going as fast as it would possibly go. Trouble was that while I was so focused on going fast I forgot to learn how to ride.
    Once I moved up to a bigger bike, gpx750, and now the Black Bandit, I actually started to ride slower. Why ?. Because I know the bike has the power to go quick, but because i wasted my time on 6L and R focused on speed I dont have the skill level to match it.
    The fact that you just want to 'smash it off the line' suggests to me that maybe you shouldnt even be road riding as in NZ conering is actually quite a vital skill.
    After 3 years road riding I still very much consider myself a noob, maybe I am just alot slower at learning than you.
    Just my 2c worth of dribble

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Bloody Hell! Riding for a few WEEKS, been on a couple of group rides and you don't consider yourself to be a noob anymore. Don't give you much hope in reaching an old age.
    1 year on a small single pot 250, 3 years on a 500 twin and 2 years on a Gixxer 750 in-line 4. And I AM still a noob.
    There are a lot of guy's who have much more experience than me on this site who are still learning. When things start going wrong, and believe me that can happen very quickly, unless you have built up the skills to handle the various situations on a smaller, slower bike, your going to be in big trouble.

Don't know how old you are but you certainly come across as yet another 'bullet proof' teenager.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    I don't really consider myself a noob anymore. I don't know even 10% of what there is to know yet
    Huh? You don't even know 10% about motorcycling but your now not a 'noob'?

Not interested in carving up corners, just want to smash it off the line (just like the car driver I am).
    You sound like a fuckin' boy racer.Do you just want to be the dude that hangs around in town hoping the lights in front of you goes red so you can drag off the gayest v tec integra you have seen all week? Bikes aren't about smashing it off the line, it's in the corners where bikes are in their element (apart from the odd straight line bullet like the Hayabusa (don't get me wrong - they can probably handle pretty too )).

I think you don't understand bikes at all. You will be a bike 'noob' most of your life, like most of us.

My 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle than go to Green Day

Bike
    ducati 600ss / a 100
    forsale A100,awesome power.
    near ready for bucket raceing,or just a padock,beach hack.
    gotta be a good deal,surely

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    @ akkadian,you say your not interested in corners,if that's true,your missing the point of having a motorbike,I get a lot of enjoyment going for a ride on twisty roads,it's a real rush flying through the corners.

I say stick with the cb250 until you get your full licence,and take it easy out there!!

Bike
    1996 ZX6-R

Blah

Nope not interested in corners, there aren't any on my ride to work, but maybe that's just because of what I'm riding. As to being a boy racer, HELL YEAH! Can't see the purpose in riding if it's not a thrill a minute. If the pulse aint racing then i may as well be sitting in a car. Bought the bike as a fun toy. It's not. There's no mystery to the riding thing. Same defensive driving skills I've been using on four wheels for the past 42 years of driving, just more ramifications if you fark it up.

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Dude,..I reckon you need to do a motorcycle riding course.

I had a Suzuki NZ250 quite a while back, that's also a single cylinder four stroke 250. I am betting that I could go a hell of a lot faster on that around the Rimutakas (not that I encourage speeding around there ) than on my Moto Guzzi.
    And it's only got 33hp......

It's all about riding, not the power of the bike.
    You need to develop an attitude that will keep you alive longer.
    Too often you hear of a learner buying an RGV250 or NSR250, thinking they are able to ride it, and these really being only for experienced riders as they are lethal, crashing and injuring themselves, if not killing themselves.

My advice is spend more time on the CBF. Get used to being able to ride it to 100% of it's potential. THEN upgrade.

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    suzuki GN 250

250s

Jeez im 60 and got a shed full of dirt bikes and my best speedway bike I rode for many seasons,and my GN 250 Suzuki does me fine,Ive had a few bigger road bikes,all gave me pain,in the wallet,I got this one new off old mate Richard Underwood,Ivan Mauger was with me,and told me he hasnt ridden a road bike since 1956,and told me I dont need another.BUT, I have enjoyed it very much,to hell with the power,christ I raced a Kwaka H2R 750 tripple at Western Springs for a few seasons,so I know about power,its got 24000 clicks after 4yrs,East Coast 3 times,and rode it to Christchurch just to watch a speedway meeting. and guess what,its a treat to ride,cheap on gas,best ride,Hunua to Wairoa via Lake Waikaremoana,never saw the lake in my 60yrs,110 ks on gravel,no trouble to us old speedway guys. Even did the Motu Rd,stay alive guys,get a GN250. COLIN

Thread Information