Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12,000 km clocked up

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

12,000 km clocked up

Weekend before last I clocked up 12,000 km of personal riding, as of today I've done around 12,700 km. That's in 10 1/2 months on my learners and restricted. Because I'm over 25 (by 36 years) I only have to do 6 months on my 6R, so I'm looking at sitting my 6F test in late February or early March.

Last weekend four of us rode from Tauranga to Mercer over the Kaimais and via Tahuna for a toasted bacon sandwich for lunch, then came back through Te Kauwhata, around Lake Waikare, back through Tahuna and on over to Paeroa, and home through the gorges and Old Tauranga Road. Somewhere over 300 km.

I'm riding every chance I get, and always wear as much protective gear as I can - when riding into and back from work I only wear my boots, jacket, gloves and helmet along with my work trousers. I rationalise that it's suburban riding and the speeds are lower so the abscense of protective over trou doesn't matter.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good, and definitely still loving it.

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Weekend before last I clocked up 12,000 km of personal riding, as of today I've done around 12,700 km. That's in 10 1/2 months on my learners and restricted. Because I'm over 25 (by 36 years) I only have to do 6 months on my 6R, so I'm looking at sitting my 6F test in late February or early March.

Last weekend four of us rode from Tauranga to Mercer over the Kaimais and via Tahuna for a toasted bacon sandwich for lunch, then came back through Te Kauwhata, around Lake Waikare, back through Tahuna and on over to Paeroa, and home through the gorges and Old Tauranga Road. Somewhere over 300 km.

I'm riding every chance I get, and always wear as much protective gear as I can - when riding into and back from work I only wear my boots, jacket, gloves and helmet along with my work trousers. I rationalise that it's suburban riding and the speeds are lower so the abscense of protective over trou doesn't matter.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good, and definitely still loving it.
    good on ya mate, know the feeling being a born again christ/sorry biker
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    So what are you going to do when you get your 6F? Get a bigger bike?or stay with the one you have?
    Nice to hear you are doing such good k's in such a short time.
    It's a different way of looking at life from a bike.

A group of us (13 bikes) will be passing through your way some time Sunday so I will keep an eye out for ya on the road and give you the secret KB wave.

PS It's always nice to read what you have been up to on that bike of yours. Keep it up.

Ride safe.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer
    Mrs Berg put 12000kms on her mighty GN250 before getting her full licence in late December. She applied for and got an exemption on the restricted time due to her driver training as an ambo paramedic
    Good on ya for getting into it. Mrs Berg has now stepped up to my old ER6N Kawasaki and is loving the better brakes, suspension and power
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Good on ya !

How does your wife feel about pillioning ?

It's great travelling around the countryside with the wife on the bike.
    Supersize Me

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Good on ya! Will have to catch up for a ride some time!
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    I'll be keeping GLORIA, my Hyosung GV250. I don't lose any distance cruising with bigger bikes (though they're not racing, only cruising at 110 to 115 km/hr) as I'm leaning much more into corners and I'm much more confident in corners, I slow down before the corner, turn in later, apex well through the corner so I come out flatter, power out of the corner, and keep my eyes on the vanishing point.

Mrs Old Steve does NOT like the idea of pillioning! I may be able to get her to ride with me around town, to and from work on fine days perhaps, but the idea of us as a couple out on the open road is extremely unlikely.

Hey Smifffy, Keep an eye out for the little fat guy ina fluoro yellow Hi-viz on a silver and burgundy Hyosung. Give us a wave.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    I read somewhere that regular jeans will wear through on a metal road in 0.4 seconds at a 50kph fall. I'm not sure how much longer your body would slide for in that scenario, but something to consider even on the slower rides. I've taken to wearing leather for any trip (1km or 100km) and feel much safer for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Good on ya Old Steve

I have been procrastinating my 6R and have done 34000k in a year. Recently broke my clutch cable and was without a bike for 2 WHOLE days (Public Holidays so no shops were open) God only knows what I did with my weekends prior to having a bike.
    White Trash Pearls of Wisdom #2654 - Refering to yourself in the 3rd person: The only thing gayer, would be being caught handcuffed around a public toilet bowl, an apple stuffed in your mouth and George Michael administering an epic caneing to your exposed cheeks while Boy George documents the event on a handicam.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    She applied for and got an exemption on the restricted time due to her driver training as an ambo paramedic
    I don't see how that's applicable to riding, but good on her. I'm a bit green that I did'nt try that on myself!
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Good on ya Old Steve

I have been procrastinating my 6R and have done 34000k in a year. Recently broke my clutch cable and was without a bike for 2 WHOLE days (Public Holidays so no shops were open) God only knows what I did with my weekends prior to having a bike.
    Why is it that these things happen so often on Public Holidays?

Congrats on the 12,000 firefighter. My bike currently stands at 12.

Bike
    gsxr1000 k1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Good on ya Old Steve

good old 08 hyo, did u get the camchain tensioners replaced free in the recall?
    i put 20,000kms on mine and onli lost 600 buks (buy/sell price)
    also snapped 2 clutch cables

Bike
    87 Honda VTZ250
    I rationalise that it's suburban riding and the speeds are lower so the abscense of protective over trou doesn't matter.
    Gravel rash hurts, but I know how annoying getting in and out of cordura pants is when you're in a rush or trying to maintain some dignity!

Here's my not-so-secret...

A pair of cordura pants, with zips that go on the inside seam of each leg from ankle to well above the knee (around mid distance between your knee and your unmentionables).

I can get these on or off in 20, 30 seconds tops, no taking off my boots, jeans, or whatever I'm wearing. Once zipped, they are just like any other cordura pants.

They have been personally crash tested and did their job.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    it is surprising how far you slide at less than 50km/h not to mention that padding saves bruises.
    I put my cordura on over my work gear but then 1/2 my commute is motorway.

Bike
    Clicked up 13,000 km on the way home from work on Friday night, in the pouring rain. Had a new front tyre on, so it was the most careful ride I have ever had.

This Sunday I rode 250 km over the Karapiro dam, down to and over the Arapuni dam, and on to the Okoroire Pub for one of the best burgers I've had for a long time.

Going to book my 6F test for late February as soon as my six months on my 6R comes up.

Thread Information