Thread: MSL Council to be lead by Gareth Morgan

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries

MSL Council to be lead by Gareth Morgan

MSL Council named

Gareth Morgan Chair, Paul Searancke from MNZ Deputy Chair
    Article below, press release from Nick Smith attached

As you all know, some of us are still angry about the levy hikes, I honestly believe we can make a difference with this fund and its use when managed correctly
    Gareth Morgan is a very smart man, I was chatting with him in Nicks office this morning, and I am looking forward to helping make a difference

This council is made up entirely of Motorcyclists
    ALL members ride regular, one owns a popular motorcycle dealership
    We are tasked to basically be the watchdog of this fund, and ensure it is spent on US!

Peace
    Brent
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ded-bike-group

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Press Release MSL.pdf 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	229589
    Just ride.

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Must almost be heresy, a motorcycle fund administered by actual motorcyclists.

2011 is going to a better year for us all.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff Brent. (pat yourself on the back for me)
    No doubt you have seen my other rant in the other thread. So I won't go into that here.

However track open days would be my pick, especially if its raining.
    Get people to fall off in a safe(r) environment and learn from other riders on a causal day.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    They could spread the money over the 100,000 motorcycles and we could all have a reduction in levys of $20 each. Sounds a plan to me!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    They could spread the money over the 100,000 motorcycles and we could all have a reduction in levys of $200 each. Sounds a plan to me!
    best get yer calculator out again
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackstig View Post
    best get yer calculator out again
    Bloody abacus bead slipped over. Still don't think it will make much difference and doubt people will be queing up to go on safety programmes!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    doubt people will be queueing up to go on safety programmes!
    i disagree

almost everyone i know who rides will take advantage of every opportunity available to improve their riding skills

besides, another excuse to go riding? sounds good to me

give it a try, you might just learn something
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i heard on the wireless 4ok news that motorcyclists pay a $30 acc levy ........i wish

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i heard on the wireless 4ok news that motorcyclists pay a $30 acc levy ........i wish
    The wireless got it wrong
    We pay a 460$ ACC levy on bikes over 601cc
    We pay a 30$ Motorcycle Safety Levy, to be precise

Its the only 30 bucks in that huge invoice I can say that I believe will be well used
    Just ride.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Bloody abacus bead slipped over. Still don't think it will make much difference and doubt people will be queing up to go on safety programmes!
    I'm with that blackstig guy. Hutt City Council ran a couple of training days some 5 or 6 years ago and it was huge fun. Met new people, brushed up some skills , did some formation riding at the Police College. Got to go for a ride. Had the perfect excuse for a pass too. "I'm off for some training!"

I was surprised at how well patronised both days were and sucking info about riding and enjoying it even in the worst circumstances from riders with different skills and perspectives is always worth it.

The success of these programmes will depend upon people, even grumpy cynical people like your fine self turning up and stunning doubting Thomas politicians that we will avail ourselves of these sort of opportunities if they are presented, in numbers that will make them feel like they've been kicked in the balls.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that ANY training scheme presented via the ACC funded route needs to be so over-subscribed that the "The Government" can be left in no doubt that there is a giant hole in motorcycle training in this country and that their attitude towards us and commonly held beliefs about motorcyclists in general evaporate in the face of a tsunami of interest in improving skills and understanding motorcycle dynamics.

That would be the very best outcome from the farce that Nick Smith et al foisted upon us a little more than a year ago.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The success of these programmes will depend upon...
    Doubt anyone would consider high participation rates as success.

Be interested in what training might be considered appropriate. Bunch of XR200s on a greasy track might be good bang for yer buck in teaching slow speed skills and reactions. Would mean less falling down type stuff but it won't stop much of the higher speed incidents.

Don't think there's any way to teach high speed skills in a manner that'd be considered safe by anyone likely to be holding the purse strings. What's more policy says it's not the lack of skills that's causing that, it's the speed itself so they're hardly likely to consdone training in that area.

I've made suggestions about old bastards actually teaching roadcraft before now but it seems most of 'em would rather wait for the crashes and then blame the crashee.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    $2 Million dollar fund, 100,000 Motorcycles paying license/rego (from post above) at $30...... $1 million dollars admin fee?
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    So, if the death toll of M/cyclists drop by, oh, say 35% over the next two-three years, wil Dr Smith reduce the ACC levy out of good faith, n positive enforcement initiatives?
    I'll wait and see.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    So, if the death toll of M/cyclists drop by, oh, say 35% over the next two-three years, wil Dr Smith reduce the ACC levy out of good faith, n positive enforcement initiatives?
    I'll wait and see.
    Awesome to see the item on the news just now. Will look forward to seeing how it all works. Optimism to the fore...both on the initiative, and motorcyclists eliminating the "one motorcyclist a week dies on our roads" story.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    motorcyclists eliminating the "one motorcyclist a week dies on our roads" story.
    Yeah. The back room boys have been busy again I see.

They must think we're all fucking morons that can't work out how small a problem that is. Or who's problem it is.

And they're largely right.

Arseholes.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information