Thread: Givi topbox issues

Bike
    Concours 14, S10

Givi topbox issues

Hi all, just thought that I'd share a few issues (well really only one but spread out a bit) that I've had with my Givi V46 and the mounting plate on my Connie.

The topbox is roughly 75,000km old and the mounting plate about 55,000km - topbox was used on a previous bike.

Here's my blog posts on the issues - go easy on me, I'm not a mechanic or engineer!

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2010...ox-issues.html

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2010/08/sorted.html

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2011...-issues-2.html

Various piccies of issues: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l...6TopboxIssues#

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    One of my boxes is also has a bit of play up and down when mounted. I sorted by sticking some foam between plate and box. Thanks to your post tho, I'm going to check the two pieces.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    One of my boxes is also has a bit of play up and down when mounted. I sorted by sticking some foam between plate and box. Thanks to your post tho, I'm going to check the two pieces.
    Yeah I did that too - any wobble is not good. Very easy to get the bolt out and bits aren't expensive.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the parts are reasonable prices. I have spare rubber grommets for top plate and pannier racks, even gone through a lock set as well.

Bike
    None any more
    The Givi topbox on my new Suzuki has a different mechanism to the Monokey model I had on my FJR. The lock action has to be activated on with the key. My previous model used to clip on. Other than that, the mechanisms and their actions are visually identical. Interestingly the Suzuki's Givi panniers are Monokey action.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Which box Hitch? Givi or Suzuki? Model?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Which box Hitch? Givi or Suzuki? Model?
    All three boxes are Givi boxes with Suzuki logos on them. The topbox is 37 litres and I don't know its model nor that of the side panniers.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    I'm not paranoid but I put two small bolts and a larger washer on the inside through base plate on mine with wing nuts on the underside and a rubber washer to seal... I know its not what you were after but could be a solution.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post
    I'm not paranoid but I put two small bolts and a larger washer on the inside through base plate on mine with wing nuts on the underside and a rubber washer to seal... I know its not what you were after but could be a solution.
    I know someone considering that option but probably not for me as I still want the convenience of easy on and off. Also, because of the setup on the Connie, there are 2 plates - the Givi one sitting on top of the standard Kawasaki item.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    All three boxes are Givi boxes with Suzuki logos on them. The topbox is 37 litres and I don't know its model nor that of the side panniers.
    Side panniers will be V36's.
    These are also an option on the new Kawasaki Z1000SX.

Thread Information