Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Power to weight restriction

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    ACC Minister Maryan Street said increasing visibility would make motorcyclists safer. They were not to blame for three-quarters of the accidents they were involved in.
    *snip*
    Mr Duynhoven also repeated his view that compulsory third party insurance was needed.
    About fucking time they realised that 75% of accidents involving a motorbike aren't the rider's fault. Also (IMHO) about time CTP (that's Compulsory Third Party) insurance was introduced here too. It won't solve all the problems, for sure, but when there is a system in place, a process to follow, it will make things more clear cut as to what to do.

I notice that in the list of 'inclusions' they've put the RVF400. God dammit! Would have quite liked to have been allowed to ride one of those on my restricted. Having said all that, I'm still glad I've got my full... I wouldn't have been able to afford much better than the faithful NZ250 anyway, it has served me so well all through my learners and restricted.
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    Yeah Ixion posted about it earlier....
    He's in the Waikato. It takes the interweb a bit longer to get down there.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    In restriced form.
    *mildly insane giggle*

Yessssss. 'Restricted'.

kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Oh, the police is going to get a fucking headache trying to enforce these restrictions:

1. Either they allow restrictions to be applied to bikes so they fit the power-to-weight requirement, or
    2. They ban certain models based upon their model specifications only.

If 1. then they need to put a scheme in place that allows them to weigh and measure the power output of the specific bike to verify if it meets the restriction. If 2. then I predict a LOT of mucking around with accepted models (tuning, changing engines, lightening, you name it) to make them go faster...

Like speed limits the 250 ccm limit was damn easy to enforce - although it made about as much sense!
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    750 auw
    Take the badges of your bike, that'll fuck with the coppas heads.

it's a DR650 officer. honest.

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    Oh, the police is going to get a fucking headache trying to enforce these restrictions:
    What do the Aussies do?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Oh, the police is going to get a fucking headache trying to enforce these restrictions...
    Nope, it'll be simple.

The cops will have the reference list of learner-legal models ("anything under 250cc apart from these, and anything on this over-250cc list").

They'll pull learners over and check. It'll be about 20 seconds extra effort over looking at the bike to see what the engine displacement is.

If people want to go nuts and spend megabucks tuning their 'learner legal' bikes to get extra power, I suspect nobody will really give a damn.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    LMFAO. Technological developments - there hasn't been made a new powerful 250 ccm road bike for quite a few years now...
    It takes them a while to catch up and they struggle to comprehend motorcycles as transport and motorcyclists as people. We have to be gentle with them.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Good stuff isn't it. Hardly any nay-sayers for that I wouldn't think. There's actually some quite powerful machines in the list so I hope it does what it sets out to do.

It is a pity that they haven't addressed the cost of getting through the licence process without having to get a student loan. The cost of compliance is way out of whack and does need streamlining.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Esq View Post
    About fucking time they realised that 75% of accidents involving a motorbike aren't the rider's fault.
    Except that's BS though. BRONZ must of told her that piece of crap. If you look at all accidents, it is about 50/50.

If you look at fatal motorcycle accidents, then it is 75% rider fault.

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    Except that's BS though. BRONZ most of told her that piece of crap. If you look at all accidents, it is about 50/50.

If you look at fatal motorcycle accidents, then it is 75% rider fault.
    Yeah yeah, but if it's all the same to you, I'd rather claim innocence and keep my no claims bonus....
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    SO who's gonna be the first to come up with a restricter kit for CBR/GSXR/r6/636/tt600 etc to pull them down to the right HP level?
    Me! But I'm approaching the problem from the other direction - it's a simple bolt-on kit to carry about 150kg of bricks and thereby bring the weight up to the required level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    List of approved motorcycles for the aussie scheme here. Will be the same of very similaralar.
    Pretty much the entire BMW range, and LimmBimmTimmWiimmmmm's DR.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubba Gubba View Post
    Couldn't find anything on the site about the 2-stroke thing, but why would they get rid of 'em if they are under the power to weight ratio?
    Two strokes as such are fine (they could hardly restrict them given the numbers of little two stroke scooters). But the race rep 250s (TZR RGV NSR etc) are specifically non-learner.

They missed a few though . TDM250 (TZR in a dual purpose frame). RZ250. TZ250 in road going form (doable in NZ) . Honda Elsinore. Most of the twostroke off roaders with a road kit (can't easily be done in Oz but it can in NZ). Suzuki X7.

I doubt they'll go for the UK GSXR10000 with a restrictor kit approach. UK shows how abused that is.

It'll be "on the list- OK. No, forget it"

They left of the 400cc bikes GX400 and such
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    About time, wonders never cease.

Yes, it will drive the price of 250's down but so what. For one thing they are too dear now and for another it'll encourage even more people into riding. Some learners are still gonna go for smaller bikes for their size, economy and not so scary performance. It's also going to create a good market for mid-sized bikes too - maybe you'll get a good price for your 650 when you're trading up for your thou.

It's all good.

Thread Information