Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA advocates wire rope barriers

Bike
    Bavarian Beast,Matchless G80S,SJ50QT

AA advocates wire rope barriers

Todays Herald.

"(Mike) Noon says the government could save a lot more lives by investing more in safer roads.
    He quotes Australian roading expert... who estimates that if NZ spent $150 million a year for 10 years on safety improvements such as wire barriers and rumble strips...we could save 80 to 90 lives."

Once again it seems that motorcycles are not automobiles and it is not considered necessary to keep motorcyclists safe.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Todays Herald.

"(Mike) Noon says the government could save a lot more lives by investing more in safer roads.
    He quotes Australian roading expert... who estimates that if NZ spent $150 million a year for 10 years on safety improvements such as wire barriers and rumble strips...we could save 80 to 90 lives."

Once again it seems that motorcycles are not automobiles and it is not considered necessary to keep motorcyclists safe.
    It's a simple numbers game, save 80 - 90 cagers, or lose a handful of motorcyclists....
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    $150M p.a. saves 8 or 9 lives p.a.. That's $16.7M minimum per life. And here was me thinking that a life was valued at $3M, actuarily.
    Mike Noon needs to go back to remedial school...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    I think we have all realised that the Automobile reference in the AA name is only intended to include four wheeled vehicles.

I feel they are actually anti-motorcycle in their thinking.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    its a tough one.... is there a motorcycle friendly barrier? you might stop the bike but the rider can still end up on the wrong side of the road

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    its a tough one.... is there a motorcycle friendly barrier? you might stop the bike but the rider can still end up on the wrong side of the road
    Check out the latest Australian Road Rider mag page 97.

Not perfect but better than wire rope...
    For those who don't get or can't access ARR the barrier is in Tasmania and is a standard single rail "Armco" with a heavy vinyl skirt between the rail and the ground.

Bike
    my little pony
    Is the AA admitting that motorists cannot stay on their side of the road?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Dont forget they also advocated for speed cameras and hidden speed cameras.

Thats when I cancelled my membership.

they are nothing but the public relations arm of the LTSA and they can get a big wobbly dog up them.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There may not be motorcycle friendly barriers (some are good, like the skirts etc), but there certainly motorcycle unfriendly ones.

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer

eek Devils advocate here

Living on the Kapiti coast and riding the Wellington district every week, I get to see an awful lot of rope barriers. I accept they are there and alter my riding style to suit. I have had the barriers save me along Centenial Hwy when a woman went to sleep and tried to cross onto my side of the road getting tangled in the barrier before she got to me
    I also think, if we demand the removal of wire rope barriers, we are also going to have to demand the removal of every fence, tree, pole, signpost, roadside stall, kerb, gutter and everything else that makes riding a motorbike dangerous from a stationary object point of view.
    Don't for a moment think I'm backing the AA or NZTA but I do think we need to take care of our own actions as well as trying to have changes made. Watching idiots passing cars at 85-90kms with their bikes mear centimeters from the rope rail, I just shake my head and stay in the center of the lane. I would rather arrive alive and 5min late than not arrive at all.
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    Living on the Kapiti coast and riding the Wellington district every week, I get to see an awful lot of rope barriers. I accept they are there and alter my riding style to suit. I have had the barriers save me along Centenial Hwy when a woman went to sleep and tried to cross onto my side of the road getting tangled in the barrier before she got to me
    I also think, if we demand the removal of wire rope barriers, we are also going to have to demand the removal of every fence, tree, pole, signpost, roadside stall, kerb, gutter and everything else that makes riding a motorbike dangerous from a stationary object point of view.
    Don't for a moment think I'm backing the AA or NZTA but I do think we need to take care of our own actions as well as trying to have changes made. Watching idiots passing cars at 85-90kms with their bikes mear centimeters from the rope rail, I just shake my head and stay in the center of the lane. I would rather arrive alive and 5min late than not arrive at all.
    I understand what you're saying but you do realize there are better options out there other than wire rope barriers suitable for all road users....

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    I understand what you're saying but you do realize there are better options out there other than wire rope barriers suitable for all road users....
    Yep, I know there are better options but we also have to accept that at the moment NZ is financially rooted so whether we like it or not we will get the cheapest option. I just change my riding style to suit my surroundings.
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    I agree with you as well with regard to taking our own precautions. However fences, trees, poles etc, although they are hazards, are not deliberately placed in known "black spots" or on the outside of corners and called a "safety measure".

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    Whole heartedly agree with Berg.

Only one rider has been killed by a WRB in NZ. While no death is acceptable the WRB was not the contributing factor of the crash. Every rider has a responsibility to ensure their bike is mechanically sound and their brain is fully engaged.

The approach and stance by some on WRB's, is, in my opinion a knee jerk over reaction to an issue(s) that are in full control of the rider.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post
    ... While no death is acceptable the WRB was not the contributing factor of the crash....
    No. It wasn't. But it WAS the deciding factor of the outcome.

Comparisons between WRB and other roadside hazards are a red herring. Trees and posts (in general) are not 1 metre from the road edge and are not normally so close together that one can't find a gap. As for farm fences - again, usually further from road edge, and whilst not good to strike, are infinitely more survivable. Unlike WRB.

For a 'safety measure', WRB are not safe for all road users, their placement is often outside manufacturer's recommendations, and the positioning on roadsides where a rider would 'expect' some runoff/escape route...what can one say?
    Their installation is not money well spent. But then again, when has spending public money wisely been a factor in NZ?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information