Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indestructible? Not even close

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    the DR is doing 4,300@100kph.
    The 640 in adv trim is about 5000rpm at 110km/h, which is still closer to idle than redline.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It's going to get a new piston, rings and gaskets soon...
    That'll probably see it through another 50K. It'd be interesting to see what the piston looks like, ring gaps etc. I hope Mrs Devil has been having some fun on it

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    It has definately improved her confidence with regards to only needing one foot on the ground (she's 5'0").
    Cant help but think poor little bike when you take it up to highway speeds though!
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Picked up my motor this arvo with a new, well, pretty much everything. Having withdrawal symptoms from not riding so got straight into putting her back together this evening.

Here is culprit of the evil noise, not so flash eh...

Bike
    CRF450 '09
    Can you upgrade to a 400 or 450? I reckon that would make a fair amount of difference with the amount of load you're putting on it.
    Smoke 'em if you have 'em

You run what you brung, and pray you brought enough

Bike
    the mighty SUPER SHERPA

Blah Purrrring super sherpa,s

Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Rosie's 250 Sherpa was still purring at 50K km when she sold it. It was starting to smoke a little when cold though. It hadn't been thrashed offroad but certainly saw a lot of gravel, & it did 1000's of km on the throttle stop on road.

Cheers
    Clint
    Somewhere I remember reading the Super Sherpa has a super light piston,could be just sales talk,but then,if true,would be a big plus when in a "highrev" situation.
    My two older Stockman/Sherpa,s have had a hard time on the farm.Though ,not reved high,overheating quite a bit ,at times,in summer.Neither of them use much oil..
    Also---If the exhaust is not derestricted,it probably acts as a govener.
    It,s a different beast ,in my book,with a little "operation"

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Did the shop give you a reason for the failure? Thats an extremly precise (and unusual) end to the wear pattern

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    Did the shop give you a reason for the failure? Thats an extremly precise (and unusual) end to the wear pattern
    My 640 rod was the same, at a good whack more km's though:

It's the part of the race that does all the work of turning the bang into wheelspin.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    My 640 rod was the same, at a good whack more km's though:
    It's the part of the race that does all the work of turning the bang into wheelspin.

Cheers
    Clint
    KTM or DRZ rod, whichever, it ain't a pretty sight eh clint

Quote Originally Posted by motor_mayhem View Post
    Can you upgrade to a 400 or 450? I reckon that would make a fair amount of difference with the amount of load you're putting on it.
    2 more weeks for the full license and I'll be on a shiny new DRZ400, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    Did the shop give you a reason for the failure?
    That's a bit of a touchy subject, the mechanic (one I will never use again) dropped the ball big time. On three occasions I took the bike back saying I am concerned with a noise that is increasing in volume. On the first occasion the bike was stripped and inspected, but they reported that nothing was wrong, everything was within spec and acceptable tolerances and it was just running "noisy".

On the two other occasions I took it back he said "naa that's ok, it has been checked out, just keep riding it, it'll be fine".

I was totally unhappy with this diagnosis, happy motors don't make strange whirring and knocking noises, something had to be wrong or the noise simply would not be present. I decided to get a second opinion and took it straight to Phil Parish (PPM), within 10 seconds of listening to it he said, "I'd put money on it is the big end", sure enough when it was pulled down, it was. WTF, Phil has the bike for 10 seconds and nails it, the other mechanic has the bike on three occasions, strips it down even, still can't diagnose it, and tells me to continue riding it knowing full well I go to some pretty remote places that would inevitably mean big trouble if it failed. To be blunt, that's just piss-poor.

So, on that note I could not recommend Phil Parish enough, he is a superb mechanic with an astonishing wealth of first hand knowledge, highly respected and accredited in the competition circles, very fast turnaround times, great hourly rate, and a great bloke to have a chin wag with. I know who I'll be using in the future and would recommend him to anyone looking for a top level motorcycle mechanic.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    KTM or DRZ rod, whichever, it ain't a pretty sight eh clint
    Nope, but one can retain much more of a sense of humour about it at 95K km on a 'high maintenance high performance euro bike' than 27K km on an 'indestructable jap 250'

Clint

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    ADVGD

What oil were you using and what mileage between changes? (No, I don't want another oil thread!).
    Did you spend quite a bit of time pootling / plodding along at low revs?

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    ADVGD

What oil were you using and what mileage between changes? (No, I don't want another oil thread!).
    Did you spend quite a bit of time pootling / plodding along at low revs?
    With previously being an engine reconditioner and seeing first hand the damage done by lack of oil changes, I'm very conscientious regarding intervals. Factory recommendations is 6000km but I do it every 4000km and use a quality oil (Elf semi-synthetic)

As for the plodding along, I understand exactly where you are going regarding the premature wear this can cause to big ends and/or chatter damage to gearboxes. Even being aware of this, to be honest, this could be a factor to at least some degree. For typical off road adventure riding I certainly don't labour the engine or ride at exceptionally low revs, but nor do I ride predominantly in the upper rev range where some say 250s should be ridden. In saying that, different terrain calls for different riding styles and this changes all the time, hill climbs at a typical example certainly sees a lot more revs. When exploring new places though I often just tick along enjoying the scenery, to be honest I feel comfortable I am not in a low enough rev range that would be causing any harm but then again my thoughts on an acceptable rev range may be slightly too low and overlapping a rev range the big end doesn't agree with...

To be on the safe side, best I stick to 14,000 RPM everywhere I go

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    I agree with you about Phil,outstanding bloke.....and I ve seen the way you ride and that bike should not have blown up....well looked after and well serviced....

Bike
    91 R80GS
    2 more weeks for the full license and I'll be on a shiny new DRZ400, can't wait!

Are you really buying brand new?
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    To be on the safe side, best I stick to 14,000 RPM everywhere I go
    I'm building an adventure bike like that.

Thread Information