Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Aprilia going to join the party?

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Is Aprilia going to join the party?

Bike
    . .
    Is there a party?? Where?? When?? Oh that's right fletchers next weekend

Another big fat heavy road bike with adventure styling maybe.

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Speaking of partys and Mr Young, What have you KTM owners been up too . Woke up this morning and my KB World is Orange

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    Speaking of partys and Mr Young, What have you KTM owners been up too . Woke up this morning and my KB World is Orange
    :-) ORANGE!! Yep faster and lighter and cooler and manlier and gruntier and sexier and ....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The pic link inside the link says KTM 990 SMT to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Shame all the manufacturers (you know who you are!) are hell-bent on pushing cc's up. How about some weight loss!!! In a couple of years they'll be 1500cc and 300kg probably with a widescreen so you can replay any bits you missed.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries

Angry

I see the same thing...where will it end? 2000cc, 6 cylinder, 400 kg's with hydraulic lift jacks

These MfG's are really missing the boat or was that bike
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Yep gotta agree with yas on that. Are they responding to the market or creating it.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    fook i reckon, the green zone disapered a couple weeks ago. almost need my sunnys gettin sore eyes
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Yep gotta agree with yas on that. Are they responding to the market or creating it.
    +1 - I am going to keep the KLR till they come out with a 800 - 1200 cc adventure bike with > 30 litre tank that can take two + luggage easily on long road trips and also cover real gnarly stuff and can be lifted, by one, over the Black Forest Station Gate if they change the combination (was getting worried, Mrs Jatz when it wouldn't open) reckon about 29 kgs wet would do it

or is it the bottle (or two) of cab sav that I am imbibing to try and sleep through the night down here in tremor central talking?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    +1 - I am going to keep the KLR till they come out with a 800 - 1200 cc adventure bike with > 30 litre tank that can take two + luggage easily on long road trips and also cover real gnarly stuff and can be lifted, by one, over the Black Forest Station Gate if they change the combination (was getting worried, Mrs Jatz when it wouldn't open) reckon about 29 kgs wet would do it

or is it the bottle (or two) of cab sav that I am imbibing to try and sleep through the night down here in tremor central talking?
    Take that KLR for a spin round the block then you won't notice the other vibrations.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    None any more
    The obvious Aprilia model for a 1200cc 135hp donk is the Shiver. I can't believe that they put this donk in the no range Dorsoduro.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The obvious Aprilia model for a 1200cc 135hp donk is the Shiver. I can't believe that they put this donk in the no range Dorsoduro.
    Others have done mid range motards... they are sooooo limp wristed aye? You definitely need 1.2L in a motard

I like my BMW, although 260+kg fully fueled, then add luggage, she is a bit of a handful in most places. Even at 6'3, if I have parked her on the centre stand facing uphill, I face a real battle getting her off again. Once moving, she handles her weight extremely well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    We need more middle-heavy weight adventure bikes rather than boats.

600-850's

Not fricken 1200's
    Only old, semi-dead people, or people who have dried up careers and feel like doing crap tv series buy those. So they hardly see adventure....
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    We need more middle-heavy weight adventure bikes rather than boats.

600-850's

Not fricken 1200's
    Only old, semi-dead people, or people who have dried up careers and feel like doing crap tv series buy those. So they hardly see adventure....
    Interesting comments re bikes and weight. Here are some thoughts of mine;
    • Aren't "us" riders an aging group, where sport bikes are no longer practical, who want something they can sit upright on behind a screen and do long distances?
    • What constitutes an adventure ride is different for all of us, for some of you it will be a single track through a forest, others a gravel road around the back of the Naki, while others it will be a trans Europe type ride on sealed back roads.
    • In New Zealand what we need for an adventure bike maybe different from what the other countries want, is a manufacturer really going to cater just for us?
    • Do some people like the "image" of riding an adventure bike but will only use it for riding to the local coffee shop, but always knowing that they could ride around the world on it (bit like having an R1 and being able to tell people it does 280km/hr but never going over 100km/hr). How many large 4WDs are sold in NZ that never go off the seal, but the owners like it that if they chose to (and if they could find how to put it in 4WD) they could bash their way through the bush?

So a heavy weight adventure tourer does have a place as does a DRZ400 with panniers. Different bikes for different folks.

I would love to see a stripped down adventure bike brought out by a manufacturer, with the essentials only and not the sparkly bits.

I am surprised that Ducati have never done a true adventure type bike, they have suitable engines and do have a history of looking outside the square (eg Monster etc). Will they be the one to bring to the market what we would like?

So what I saying (got a bit lost there!) is that there is a place for heavy adventrue bikes.

Thread Information