Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High visibility or highly overrated? Information flyer

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Mandatory high viz kit for bikers is coming soon to a torso near you.
    No it won't. Tell them you do not consent. They cannot force you to wear an orange jacket if you do not consent. So don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    This will have nothing to do with science or logic. Another win, unfortunately, for blind emotion. Sigh.
    You immediately consent and capitulate. Spot the error? Are you not angry enough yet? What will it take?
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    At the end of the day (as I've seen no stats from other countries which have mandated high-vis and isolated all other accident "variables") - it's all speculation whether it will save many lives or not.

Even if it only saved one life a year - would we all think it was worth it? we would if that one life was someone near and dear!

I DO wear a high viz when commuting. I don't give a shit that I look fugly, as I look fugly with or without a helmet (at least that's what teenage kids tell me).

I do think there is merit in another thread on KB about reducing in car driver distractions. It seems bizarre the focus on limiting motorcycle choices, when car drivers seem to be getting extra gizmos to take away the boredom of driving (eg. facebook in the car - dear lord!)

PS: To add to the effect, I'm even thinking of buying the fluoro orange Schuberth C3 helmet (seriously!)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Really?

For as long as I can remember we've been crying "Wahhhh, they didn't see me" and everyone laps it up with "Yeah, fucking cagers - why don't they open their fucking eyes" instead of "Well, if you saw them, why didn't you avoid them?"
    I actually agree with you on this. Although I have said as much myself, I do recognise that the onus is on oneself to look after your own skin. This is why my skin has never had major damage resulting from a motorcycle accident.

Sitting back and silently allowing a situation to turn to shit is as bad as those directly responsible for the shit in the first place.
    I am not my brother's keeper. If someone has it in their head that they have the right to save me from myself there's bugger all I can do to change their minds. It is they that are responsible for their deluded mode of thinking, not I. And I'm damned if I'm going to start riding like a nanna just because of how it looks to those that know nothing about motorcycles.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Even if it only saved one life a year - would we all think it was worth it? we would if that one life was someone near and dear!
    No I wouldn't. Freedom is far more valueable that any single human life. Why do you think so many people have freely given their lives throughout history it it's name?

I DO wear a high viz when commuting. I don't give a shit that I look fugly, as I look fugly with or without a helmet (at least that's what teenage kids tell me).
    It's not about how you look. It's about the fact that we have an inalienable right to decide for ourselves what we will and won't do to save our own skin. To this end I would love to see even helmets made optional (I would still wear one but that's my choice, not anyone else's).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I got my lucky Rabbits foot ... the rabbit wasn't as lucky though ...
    How can it be a "lucky" rabbits foot? Wasn't fuck all good for the rabbit, and it aint like it was a case of 'him or you'.

Just one of those questions I guess, like..."Why do men have nipples"?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    So it's easier people to pull your tit ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Actually because the nipples start forming before the embryo even determines whether it will be a boy or a girl.

Bike
    suzuki
    nipples
    Hehehe, He said nipples!

Bike
    750 auw
    Really?

For as long as I can remember we've been crying "Wahhhh, they didn't see me" and everyone laps it up with "Yeah, fucking cagers - why don't they open their fucking eyes" instead of "Well, if you saw them, why didn't you avoid them?"

Sitting back and silently allowing a situation to turn to shit is as bad as those directly responsible for the shit in the first place.
    You are a goose.

Any auckland rider will tell you they have to ride like this to survive on a daily basis. If we posted every time we proactively avoided a car trying to kill us then the site would fall over and spank would have to outsource the site storage to NASA.
    Last edited by Usarka; 7th March 2011 at 19:01. Reason: will get told off for abuse

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    Last edited by Usarka; Today at 20:01. Reason: will get told off for abuse
    Wuss......
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    It's not about how you look. It's about the fact that we have an inalienable right to decide for ourselves what we will and won't do to save our own skin. To this end I would love to see even helmets made optional (I would still wear one but that's my choice, not anyone else's).
    I think many are actually more worried about how they look. After all a high viz vest would be your cheapest piece of ATGATT - so why don't people with the best leathers and Arai wear them?

Bring on personal insurance in that case. Really - I don't want to subsidise all those that choose not to wear ATGATT.

I don't think we have a right when everyone pays for someone elses skin grafts and reconstruction surgery because they exercised their right not to wear any protective gear.
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    You are a goose.

Any auckland rider will tell you they have to ride like this to survive on a daily basis. If we posted every time we proactively avoided a car trying to kill us then the site would fall over and spank would have to outsource the site storage to NASA.
    Now the thread has derailed (that isn't a slight against your post either), we have to acknowledge that no car driver is trying to kill us. I know that is just a saying to make you hyper aware, but reality is most car drivers are in a daze and motorcyclists don't allow a margin for error.

PS: Love your user title

Bike
    Mine
    I think many are actually more worried about how they look. After all a high viz vest would be your cheapest piece of ATGATT - so why don't people with the best leathers and Arai wear them?
    You are right, for a lot of people it is about the look. However, there are those of us that are not convinced that they do any good at all in the first place.

Bring on personal insurance in that case. Really - I don't want to subsidise all those that choose not to wear ATGATT.

I don't think we have a right when everyone pays for someone elses skin grafts and reconstruction surgery because they exercised their right not to wear any protective gear.
    Think of it another way. You don't pay for skin grafts and reconstruction surgery, you pay for freedom of thought and choice.

Besides, a naked rider with their head screwed on is a damn site safer and will cost us far less in ACC than an ATGATT that has their brain in neutral.

Why should I be penalised because I believe that the most important piece of protective gear lies between my ears?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    You are right, for a lot of people it is about the look. However, there are those of us that are not convinced that they do any good at all in the first place.

Think of it another way. You don't pay for skin grafts and reconstruction surgery, you pay for freedom of thought and choice.

Besides, a naked rider with their head screwed on is a damn site safer and will cost us far less in ACC than an ATGATT that has their brain in neutral.

Why should I be penalised because I believe that the most important piece of protective gear lies between my ears?
    The licensing system is too slack / easy to obtain. Even if you tightened up so that only clued up riders could ride, even good people have off days (lack of concentration). People will make mistakes.

As I said - all for freedom of choice - but you have to have that with personal insurance and stuff this ACC crap. Since I believe communal insurance will be here to stay - there should be communal responsbility, otherwise we'll end up with a fuck you dog eat dog society (oh wait - we're already there) - make that a worse society.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    I dont wear high viz during the day, only when its dark or misty or whatever, but I make sure that its clean and the reflective strips are clean. No point wearing day glo vests without the strips so these poor quality free high viz vests can fuck off as far as I am concerned.

And then you go ahead and wear the right gear, jacket, boots, trousers, gloves and lid, just like I was wearing when I was bowled by that lady a year ago. She was found to be at fault, was prosecuted and all that that. But the bastard fuckface wanking insurance companies wont pay out on the gear, the gear that I wear as part of my personal responsibility as a rider.

I can see these corporate pig insurance firms jumping on the high viz bandwagon and not paying out unless you were wearing one. These companies need to recognise protective equipment for what it is....and pay out 100%...

....as my brother said after my crash..."what do you mean she didnt see you, how could she not see you, I mean you being such a fat c**t and all that...."

Thread Information