View Poll Results: What single cylinder adv bike for Jimmy ?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suzukii DR 250

4 23.53%
  • KTM 450 EXC

1 5.88%
  • KTM 525 EXC

2 11.76%
  • KTM 625 EXC

1 5.88%
  • Other (please specify)

9 52.94%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which bike for Jimmy?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I have not much experience in the true off road realm however from my experience in the weekend at the laid back trail ride I witnessed many guys sweating & swearing trying to kick their bikes back into life. These were usually in the middle of bogs, dips or tight spots. I personally wouldn't be without an electric start.

Also many MX type riders comment on the weight of the DRZ 400 as being heavy. I suspect if you end up riding with said MX types, an adv style bike will be regarded as a Hippo & you'll end up buying something small & lite to fit in & possibly end up trailering it.

Ithink some more info is really required such as your experience off road, actual age & ability & what you want to do ie drops & jumps, flatout racing or cruisy trail riding.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The thing the 350 has going for it over the 400 is the gearbox.
    It'll trail ride all day and cruise home at 100kph without blurring your vision for the next 3 days.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The thing the 350 has going for it over the 400 is the gearbox.
    It'll trail ride all day and cruise home at 100kph without blurring your vision for the next 3 days.
    350 with 441 kit

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    350 with 441 kit
    480 kit for the DR350

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Also many MX type riders comment on the weight of the DRZ 400 as being heavy.

That goes to show how dumb many MX riders are.

Horses for courses - lets see them ride their YZ250 through the Molesworth.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Ahhhh, but your equation misses the most vital ingrediant for adventure/dual purpose.......TORQUE......but don't ask me where to put that. I suck at algebra.
    thats the /100 bit....but don't beat yaself up for not spottin it .....it is a highly complex formula
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    What about a road legal XR400?
    Neat bike. Rare as a Taswegian virgin, and lack the 'leccy start, and pale in comparison to modern machinery. Was dead set interested in one, but apart from being rare in good road-legal condition, they are like Land Rovers... they're really good if you are an enthusiast and replace the engine, electrics, suspension, etc etc and it'll be AWESOME! Ok for casual trail work but simply don't cut it 15 years on. They were blown into the weeds by the WR400F in 1998... which one is still around today?
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    But in the past I've found that the extra power of the 350 is barely worth the increase in weight & bulk.
    They don't give any extra power, but they give wonderful extra torque for little extra anything. eg a KLX300 (kicker only) puts out 33% more torque than a DR-Z250 in an otherwise identical bike. DR350 is quite a pleasant improvement on the 250.

And given that I'm already underwhelmed by the perfomance of 600s ...
    You haven't answered my previous question. Tourability and trailability are opposite ends of the see-saw, thus heavily influence the compromises you make. How far away are the trails you want to ride? Even in AKL I'd rather trailer a dedicated dirt bike to Woodhill than ride an adv bike. I wouldn't ride a dirt bike half the length of the country either... umm, errmm, ok a quasi-dirt bike I would - but only for a good coupla days off-road ridin'!

As to your poll, the 625EXC don't exist. It's actually badged a 625SXC or 640 Hard Enduro; it has an LC4 engine, 5000km oil changes. The 4T EXCs have RFS engines (until recently but those be out of your budget), 1500km oil changes on road. Totally different animals. The DR is an old's cool trail bike. The LC4 is a hi-po trail bike. The EXC is an enduro race weapon. Each hits it's mark, I reckon.

The 450EXC makes about the same peak power as the 525, but has less grunt. So it is easier to ride in the forest, but will still rip your arms out. The 525 is a rip-snortin' enduro beast, not for the faint hearted, but is probably a little better for longer and faster road trips. On-road is not exactly their forte.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    VSTROM - 650XT
    Another vote for the DRZ400.

And there happens to be a great example on TM at the moment for around the $4950.00 mark

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    You haven't answered my previous question. Tourability and trailability are opposite ends of the see-saw
    Defiantely want something at the Trail end of the spectrum

But has to be road registerable - as it will probably become my hack around all-purpose machine. And I will still have the Ducati for road blasting

I prefer bottom end grunt to reving my nuts off - so two valve head, long stroke maybe...

With the right gearing a 250 would be "adequate" but the KTM's look like much more fun for not a lot more dollars. I do my own servicing, so their shoirts service interval isnt really a problem
    =mjc=

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Defiantely want something at the Trail end of the spectrum

But has to be road registerable - as it will probably become my hack around all-purpose machine. And I will still have the Ducati for road blasting

I prefer bottom end grunt to reving my nuts off - so two valve head, long stroke maybe...

With the right gearing a 250 would be "adequate" but the KTM's look like much more fun for not a lot more dollars. I do my own servicing, so their shoirts service interval isnt really a problem
    What Warewolf said re. the KTM's.
    I've owned a 450EXC and now a 525EXC. CooneyR has got my 450 now.
    Love 'em both, good power and handling, 525 slighly better for road work. Good for short road trips to the trails, but not a tourer in any sense.
    Both weight 109kg dry, and will leave you grinning.
    Don't rape the motor for any length of time and theres no reason they won't last years, just change the oil regularly and do valve clearances.

Now wait for all the orange haters to chime in about the hard seat.............

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    More like single cam instead of twin cam.

You're only going to get a two valve head in a CRF230 or smaller.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    More like single cam instead of twin cam.

You're only going to get a two valve head in a CRF230 or smaller.
    And a long stroke isn’t necessary for low range torque either, my 525 is reasonably stall-proof and it’s a pretty short stroke.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    That's real old skool thinking. These days pretty much everything is 4-valve oversquare short-stroke, getting torque from a long rod and better design/tuning. However you still can't beat cubes, so it sounds like you'd prefer a bigger engine.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I would advise getting a bike witha good seat. I've found all my KTMs have had terrible seats- like really hard on my bum. Other than that they are ok

In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Thread Information