Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheeecutter saves motorcyclist's life - 2 April 2011

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400 SMK5 with knobblies
    MURPHY'S LAW

....I just KNOW I'm going to get 'taken out' by a WRB one day.....that's the irony.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    C'mon with the trolling already.

The frikkin WRB (or whatever you prefer to call it) didn't exactly leap out and attack the dude, did it??

So how did he end up wrapped around it?
    Having driven past the accident just after it happened and having ridden over the same bit of road since, there appears to be about 800 metres of kittly litter in patches prior to the scene, inducating that there may have been something slippery dropped on the road before the accident. When I saw on Friday he had hit the WRB I felt sick to the stomach. The bike went back across the lanes and ended up a twisted wreck on the shoulder.

I dont condone drinking and driving, but I am certainly not about to condemn this fella without knowing all the details. I have said this clumsily. If there was shit spilled on the road that created the problem in the first place, that needs to be acknowledged and reported as well.. I have no doubt the Plice will investigate this and we will find out what the nitty gritty was if we eally want to. I hope the poor bastard that tangled with the wire makes a full recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekk View Post
    well, regardless, it's important to have debate. blindly following a campaign without asking questions and challenging conventionally accepted ideas is bad for any process.
    Definetely, there has been a signifciant amount of research done over in the EU, and some in Aus too I think (I would offer to find it but our internet has the go-slows). They explain the benefits/failing of WRBs as well as concrete, and also covered WRBs, and also do a cost analysis. I read them and think, why are WRBs still used (and installed incorrectly)? it just doesn't make any sense to me.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
    MURPHY'S LAW

....I just KNOW I'm going to get 'taken out' by a WRB one day.....that's the irony.
    Dont joke mate, up this way that could in fact be a reality. They have been installed in the most crazy places and in some instances, completely without thought to safety for us two wheeled riders. You have no real idea until you start riding some of our roads to experience "wind shear" as you are travelling at legal speeds and are driven a metre across the road right next to the friggen WRB is an experience I dont wish on anyone.

There is a bit of road just north of here, I have travelled it 3 times this weekend. It is one of the top 10 accident black spots in NZ. They have installed WRB on the outsides of the road in both directions, when in fact most fatalities in there invlove 2 vehicles head on. If I am riding in there and I am faced with an oncoming vehicle in my lane I have 2 options. Head on with said vehicle or into the WRB. Great choices eh?
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I find it strange that so many people fail to see the bigger picture here.
    Can you please explain to this naive small-town boy, what the bigger picture is.

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say self-preservation through awareness, reducing the risk before it even happens.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Dont joke mate, up this way that could in fact be a reality. They have been installed in the most crazy places and in some instances, completely without thought to safety for us two wheeled riders. You have no real idea until you start riding some of our roads to experience "wind shear" as you are travelling at legal speeds and are driven a metre across the road right next to the friggen WRB is an experience I dont wish on anyone.

There is a bit of road just north of here, I have travelled it 3 times this weekend. It is one of the top 10 accident black spots in NZ. They have installed WRB on the outsides of the road in both directions, when in fact most fatalities in there invlove 2 vehicles head on. If I am riding in there and I am faced with an oncoming vehicle in my lane I have 2 options. Head on with said vehicle or into the WRB. Great choices eh?
    Motorcycling is optional.
    It is a hobby, an indulgence.
    We are all (99.9%) car/vehicle drivers.
    We are a pimple, a minority, a thorn in roading society.
    Special conditions for a motley few, are a self-centred fantasy.
    Motorcycling is NOT the real world.
    Let's get real.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say self-preservation through awareness, reducing the risk before it even happens.
    WTF are you doing on this thread, spouting common sense, man ??????

BUGGER OFF !!!!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Can you please explain to this naive small-town boy, what the bigger picture is.
    Picure this........

The government are moving against us, the media appear to be on their side and the public are being gently wooed.

Any clearer?

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Special conditions for a mottley few, are a self-centred fantasy.
    Let's get real.
    That might be true for you, but dont try to fit others in your slot. I have been a dedicated car commuter and bike enthusiast as a hobby for a long time for sure, but I am about to become a first form of transport motorcyclist once again. I expect, nay DEMAND my roads are safe for me to ride. I have gone back to my 2 wheeled, first call of wheels, to save a bit of money and make my commute affordable, the things we do eh?

Seriously, you are talking shit. You dont have WRB down there. You really dont understand what some of us are on about. Motorcycling is my world, it has been part of my life for the last 35 years. I take every precaution to ensure my safety, but I dont appreciate people introducing hazards into my life that I can not mitigate.

Please dont suggest I take a different route to work, no matter which way I go I have to deal with these fucken things on my way to work and back.

For the record I AM NOT MOTELY, and I much prefer different kind of fantasies
    Nonono,

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Picure this........

The government are moving against us, the media appear to be on their side and the public are being gently wooed.

Any clearer?

Thanks.
    I'd have to agree with you there.

......and the Govt too.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Let's get real.
    Then why don't you take your pimply, motley, minority self off to a car/vehicle driver's forum?

It is not certain that "There but for the WRB the rider would have died" so it is a long bow to draw to say that the WRB saved his life.

Personally I'd rather not hit them, or concrete, or armco, but if I ever do end up hitting something I'd much prefer that it wasn't a WRB tyvm.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Let's get real.
    Special conditions? I still don't see why it makes any difference (for other vehicle users) to TPTB whether they use a WRB or concrete barrier, can you point me to the research that shows there is?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Triple Delight
    I think there are some on here that should sell their bikes and become the Sanctimonious Arsehole's that attempt to kill bikers every day on the roads of NZ.

Yes, as a demographic there are some bikers that do nothing to help the cause, but you simply can not bag the majority, to highlight the minority. We have an appalling rate of killing ourselves, all by ourselves, that is a given, but FFS, dont accept road furniture that can and will kill you despite taking all precautions and being a careful biker.

Dead horse flogging time...

Fill your boots!
    Nonono,

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    That might be true for you, but dont try to fit others in your slot. I have been a dedicated car commuter and bike enthusiast as a hobby for a long time for sure, but I am about to become a first form of transport motorcyclist once again. I expect, nay DEMAND my roads are safe for me to ride. I have gone back to my 2 wheeled, first call of wheels, to save a bit of money and make my commute affordable, the things we do eh?

Seriously, you are talking shit. You dont have WRB down there. You really dont understand what some of us are on about. Motorcycling is my world, it has been part of my life for the last 35 years. I take every precaution to ensure my safety, but I dont appreciate people introducing hazards into my life that I can not mitigate.

Just goes to show how a hobby takes over one's life, so one is deluded into believing that one's fantasy is reality.
    A classic case in your case.

I may taik shit. I have been riding for MORE than 35 years, so therefore on your scale, I DO know what I am talking about. I bet you, you look for "vanishing points" when you ride.
    Last edited by Virago; 3rd April 2011 at 18:37. Reason: HTML

Thread Information