Thread: Rebuilding a master cylinder - oring grease?.

Bike
    CR250

Rebuilding a master cylinder - oring grease?.

Is there a specific grease to use? I have some molykote 111 grease, is this ok?

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Is there a specific grease to use? I have some molykote 111 grease, is this ok?
    Simply wet the o-ring in brake fluid. Or a bit of vaseline does no harm.

Really the point is to allow the seal to slide in first time and not fold or tear. Once there is fluid in the system all becomes moot
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    CRF250R
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    Simply wet the o-ring in brake fluid. Or a bit of vaseline does no harm.

Really the point is to allow the seal to slide in first time and not fold or tear. Once there is fluid in the system all becomes moot
    Rodger that
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    CR250
    Thats what I thought, but I got told something slightly different I thought that the grease could gum things up??

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Use only brake fluid inside it, and any sort of grease under the boot to reduce corrosion.
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2011, Mikilon D7 250
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Use only brake fluid inside it, and any sort of grease under the boot to reduce corrosion.
    You can buy specialized rubber grease (Red Colour)specifically for brake pistons it keeps the pistons corrosion free and keeps the dust seals and piston seals supple.
    Regards Kevin

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    You can buy specialized rubber grease (Red Colour)specifically for brake pistons it keeps the pistons corrosion free and keeps the dust seals and piston seals supple.
    Yeah I know, but it washes out with the brake fluid anyway, and where there is brake fluid you wont get water and correspondingly you wont get corrosion.

Behind the boot where there is no brake fluid should be copiously gooped with any grease - doesnt need to be anything fancy.
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Sadly, it does not for any significant length of time. Basically it's an assembly lubricant. PL7S is still the best for that too (IMO, but I've tried a few).

If you're only doing the odd one once a year, brake fluid is all you need. When you're doing fifty a week a tub of red rubber grease is an economical way to go.

Thread Information