Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My response to the proposed strategy by MAG-NZ

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Good luck with that.
    Exactly, it will be all about how many have died not how many survive.

= bad press.

Bike
    It was on the good
    A 'fallen bikers day' would serve no purpose other than trying to make us feel better about ourselves.

The public would just see it as further reinforcement of the idea that motorcycles are dangerous and motorcyclists are temporary NZers.
    What he said.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Smile

I do miss the "Anglo American Easter Memorial Run". Was the highlight of the year!

Bring it back I say!

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Sorry, those stats are worse than MSTRS's.
    Apologies if MOT's figures don't line up with the ones in your head...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Pillion
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Exactly, it will be all about how many have died not how many survive.

= bad press.
    Yeah, be a real bitch to discover we really do deserve to pay more in ACC levies
    It is entirely possible to teach an old blond new tricks!!!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Apologies if MOT's figures don't line up with the ones in your head...
    They line up just fine John. MOT's stats say 75% of fatal motorcycle accidents are the responsibility of the motorcyclist.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    They line up just fine John. MOT's stats say 75% of fatal motorcycle accidents are the responsibility of the motorcyclist.
    Quite. But we're talking all cases. Injuries tend to cost ACC more than fatals, anyway.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    So what?Do they not deserve some kind of memorial.They died doing what they loved ,they didnt go out and kill themselves on purpose,they would have been friends ,brothers,sisters etc.It can be a rallying point to ensure we DONT

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Good boy, FM.
    Actually, approx 40% of all m/c crashes are the fault of someone else, and a further 7-10% where fault lay with both parties. That leaves some 50% where fault lies with the rider. We need to work on improving that. The result of success there, will mean more aware riders who will then be better skilled to avoid some of the crashes where others are at fault.
    Win - win.
    I don't log onto KB much these days so I'm probably behind the 8 ball a bit but I'd like to pick up on MSTRS comments above which are bloody important.

Don't get me wrong, the increased ACC levies are nonsense because they do nothing to address the root cause of accidents. For that reason, a protest is worthwhile to keep the pressure on.

However, one sure-fire way of weakening the ACC case at the same time is to significantly reduce the accidents we're having. That comes back to personal accountability. I wonder just how many KB'ers have taken some form of 3rd party advanced roadcraft in (say) the last 18 months where situational awareness training is a key component of the course? Come to that, who has taken any type of safety course?

Sorry to be blunt but just whinging about ACC rates isn't actually going to solve the problem. Forget about other members of the motoring public and fix the one thing you can influence - yourself!

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I don't log onto KB much these days so I'm probably behind the 8 ball a bit but I'd like to pick up on MSTRS comments above which are bloody important.

Don't get me wrong, the increased ACC levies are nonsense because they do nothing to address the root cause of accidents. For that reason, a protest is worthwhile to keep the pressure on.

However, one sure-fire way of weakening the ACC case at the same time is to significantly reduce the accidents we're having. That comes back to personal accountability. I wonder just how many KB'ers have taken some form of 3rd party advanced roadcraft in (say) the last 18 months where situational awareness training is a key component of the course? Come to that, who has taken any type of safety course?

Sorry to be blunt but just whinging about ACC rates isn't actually going to solve the problem. Forget about other members of the motoring public and fix the one thing you can influence - yourself!
    It took me a while to see this point of view but now I completely agree with it. Get out house in order then we can really push for protest.

Back on topic though (if I may be so bold), the MAG strategy is for members to contribute ideas for action etc and I support that ethic. MAG promote action on a personal level, thats a great thing, as long as personal action includes being a better rider then I cannot see any downside to that element of the MAG philosophy.

Support that I reckon, good for all of us in the long run

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by allycatz View Post
    Sadly 'apathy' can be one of the biggest dangers of them all
    That and political correctness. All well and good getting fired up about stuff, but getting out there and active is another story all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    Could, therefore, a 'Fallen Bikers' day promote the MAG ideals of

- Safe riding
    - Training and upskilling
    - Personal responsibility
    - Bikers as equal road users and should be treated as such
    - Accidents that can and do happen
    - Flawed statistics giiving the wrong impression on motorcyclists.
    It could, but it would never be that. I personally would NEVER support a fallen biker day. I much prefer to grieve my losses privately, and not high light the reasons these people are no longer with me in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    especially if the media doesn't put their own spin on it.
    Never going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    MAG promote action on a personal level, thats a great thing, as long as personal action includes being a better rider then I cannot see any downside to that element of the MAG philosophy.
    Good for MAG for pushing personal accountability but I'm still prepared to bet that the majority of people attending a protest rally have done eff all to help themselves and if we got an honest response on a KB poll, the result would probably be the same. Until last Sunday, the last formal assessment of my skills (or lack, thereof) was an advanced course in 2003 which is bloody long and embarrassing interval. Finally put my money where my mouth was and started on the road to becoming an IAM Observer (instructor) and seeing just how good those IAM people are was a humbling experience. Something worthwhile to aim for.

Bike
    696 Ducati
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of private insurance over ACC. Personal registration not vehicle registration. I guess this has already been put through the shredder... but I can't read everything...

Bike
    Pillion
    Interestingly (is that a word), googled 'Fallen Bikers Day' and came up with a large number of ssuch rides world wide though. Reading through a few of them, one had changed name to ' Biker Awareness Day'....maybe a better option?
    It is entirely possible to teach an old blond new tricks!!!

Thread Information