Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KX250 rebuild - after all I've ridden it half a dozen times and it's worn out

Bike
    KTM 250 EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Did a little more pulling apart tonight... main aim was to have the frame and swingarm ready to go to the powder coaters tomorrow.

Everything was going fine until it came to removing the collapsed swing arm bearings... the swingarm bolt had started working its way through the side of the bearing shell.... and there are two bearings on each side and both on one side were rooted. there is nothing to hit them out with and they are in there very tight.

Time to start up the arc welder and put some weld on the inner shell and shrink the shell and give me somthing to hit...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

removed, if these had been left much longer it would have been very bad for the swingarm so from that point of view its all good.

Spent my first few dollars last night..

FMF Fatty pipe $238
    FMF Power Core silencer $109
    Pivot works bearings and seals for the swingarm, steering head, shock and linkage .. all from the USA landed for $200 plus freight of $98. So total is $644 NZ.

Quite happy with the price as I have seen a FMF fatty on trademe for $475.
    Score, which site did you buy from?
    HOW DARE YOU SAY I HAVE A BIG PIPE
    Sometimes I ride Slow, sometimes I Ride Quick, But When its Time To Get Busy Out The Hat Comes The Trick.

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Photobucket

Found them on the net... basically I search around looking for a company that a) shio to NZ... b) shipping costs where reasonable...
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    The frame, swingarm and subframe are at the powder coaters...

Silver and orange for the frame want it to look like a KTM....... should look cool.
    One for the road...
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Measured the cylinder tonight and have the following measurment as follows..

Cylinder new 66.400 - 66.415
    mine averaged at (telescopic gauge and digital varinier) at 66.43 and 66.41 at 90deg.

Service limit 66.48
    So based on that we are good to go.

Only issuie is cylinder wear... pitting looks bad but can't feel it with my finger..

Photobucket

and a couple of scores on the cylinder which i can feel.... with my finger nail..

Photobucket

I'm thinking this will be OK..

Piston skirt clearance new 66.35 old is 66.30 service limit is 66.17... but i have a new wisco piston and that measures at 66.33.

But why the differance in pistons... old has a cut out new wisco does not... anyone have an idea on this/

Photobucket

Photobucket

cleaned the power valves also.. noticed the bottom of them are broken.. the whole assebly was well seized. But looks ok.. cleaned it and re assembled it and it seems to work ok. My guess is the broken bits will not be a problem... please tell me if I'm wrong.

Photobucket

Just for interest this is whats left after pouring out the oil... no shit its like clay... now you know why I am seperating the cases... and I plan to make a crank seperation tool myself.. piss easy.

Photobucket

not good i say...

Look at this dirt and shit...

Photobucket
    One for the road...

Bike
    Engine on the bench..

Needs a good clean..

Photobucket

Soaked the barrel in de greaser all day and the carbon shit is still there... anyone know how to get rid of this shit? other wsie looks mint..
    Photobucket

next picture is cylinder soaking in degreaer for the day... looks great.
    Photobucket

Best part of the day was getting my frame etc back...

looks cool.

Photobucket
    One for the road...

Bike
    CRF250R
    Oven cleaner for the carbon build up might take a few goes but works

That cylinder doesnt look good you priced up a sleeve for that bad boy?

Also heard that some wiseco pistons need holes drilled in em might be worth looking into............I could be wrong here we used a Namura one on the rebuild i did.

The old KX's you gotta get the cylinder measured right we had one throw a piston as the cylinder was tapered and bigger at the bottom which caused it to rock over and explode big time we were shovling alloy chips out the exhaust port even before it was torn down.............Lesson learned
    Even on the old ones if you dont race serious and you wanna just go do the odd club day and smoke everyone on a big old 5hundy it great and if you get beaten you have a handful of excuses

Bike
    Changes Weekly
    must be a few people doing up old kawis, saw another green frame at the powder coaters in cambridge when i went to pick mine up
    SHE LOOKED UP AT ME WITH BLOOD IN HER EYES
    THEN HER SKIN FELL OFF
    AND SHE PROMPTLY DIED
    IT WAS EBOLA, LA LA LA EBOLA

Bike
    Flyingcr... it was me..!!! I picked up my frame today from NZ Powder Coaters... they are the best.
    One for the road...

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    hey dude went and had look at bits on frame and those tank bits are there also was looking at those power valves it got the better of me had a look and although ours is a year older and a 125 looks like the part numbers are the same we are going to be stripping the motor for parts as well due to the guy not buying the other day if your keen ill see what they look like condition wise
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    Changes Weekly
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Flyingcr... it was me..!!! I picked up my frame today from NZ Powder Coaters... they are the best.
    ha ha ha, that was me picking up the orange frame. yea they do a pretty good job, cheap too, sandblasted and powdercoated for $130
    SHE LOOKED UP AT ME WITH BLOOD IN HER EYES
    THEN HER SKIN FELL OFF
    AND SHE PROMPTLY DIED
    IT WAS EBOLA, LA LA LA EBOLA

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcr250 View Post
    ha ha ha, that was me picking up the orange frame. yea they do a pretty good job, cheap too, sandblasted and powdercoated for $130
    Orange frame... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(would love to do the same)

Bike
    Flying CR... your orange frame looked mint...
    Dam small world I say.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by barty5 View Post
    hey dude went and had look at bits on frame and those tank bits are there also was looking at those power valves it got the better of me had a look and although ours is a year older and a 125 looks like the part numbers are the same we are going to be stripping the motor for parts as well due to the guy not buying the other day if your keen ill see what they look like condition wise
    Yes please.... PM me with cost... what about the swingarm adhuster bolts? and throttle.... Oh and the power valve parts would be most cool.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4king View Post
    Oven cleaner for the carbon build up might take a few goes but works

That cylinder doesnt look good you priced up a sleeve for that bad boy?

Also heard that some wiseco pistons need holes drilled in em might be worth looking into............I could be wrong here we used a Namura one on the rebuild i did.

The old KX's you gotta get the cylinder measured right we had one throw a piston as the cylinder was tapered and bigger at the bottom which caused it to rock over and explode big time we were shovling alloy chips out the exhaust port even before it was torn down.............Lesson learned
    Thanks for the info... I will take it to a engine reco man and get it measured up correctly.

Anyone recommend someone who is farmilar with MX bikes?

Resleeve... big bore 310cc...... naaa Thats just been stupid. I think it will be just fine as long as it measures up ok... if not I will worry about it then.
    One for the road...

Bike
    Fun bits arrive today... cool.

I was pleased to see the box sitting at the top of my driveway when i got home.. I was worried that I would be paying GST on this @ about $94... and that would sux.

Grabbed a beer for the occasion and headed out to the shed.

Beer in hand and I opened the packing slip... The packing slip was in US $ and was for $232.32 + $84 shipping... and guess what the fatty pipe is not listed on the packing slip And I feel gutted. Stood there thinking I don't need this shit.... Then i think.. dam that is a large box for whats listed.

So I open the box and bugger me... it all there and one nice big FATTY pipe.... Don't know if it was a mistake or they did it on purpose but OEMCYCLES.COM just saved me a heap of coin... I could not be happier.

Photobucket

Running gear bearings, bushes and seals...

and to make sure the pipe and muffler will fit...

Photobucket

And yip look good...
    Time to start cleaning and putting some bits togeather.
    One for the road...

Thread Information