Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So why aren't they?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by red mermaid View Post
    Where in the article does it say the headlight of the motorcycle was on, or off?
    It doesn't. It is reasonable to assume that a rider, who was reported to be wearing all the right safety gear, would not ignore using the headlight too.
    I don't assume that, because he was riding a Harley, he was one of your knuckle-dragging mates.

And it says the motorcyclist had all the correct safety gear...possibly to the officer this means he did have a fluro vest on.
    Perhaps he was wearing one. It really helped, eh?

You always assume too much to twist things round to your point of view.
    And you always follow me around the forums, cherry picking posts of mine to quote so you can disagree. Maybe you believe you can make me look silly. I have no idea why you would do this, unless it's because I turned down your offer of a blowie, but it is obvious to many that the only one with egg on their face is you. As for what I think, I don't think it's egg...more likely to be what your boyfriend left.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 23rd April 2011 at 15:27.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    OH this is probably something they are going to waiste all our MSL "safety levy" dollars on! A driver awareness campaign that we shouldn't be paying for!' That should be out of normal funding like the drink drive campaigns etc!

Money collected from a tax nobody else pays to use the road.

Then they'll say look at all the wonderful things we spent your money on???
    My thoughts exactly! I wish we would both be proven wrong...

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Where in the article does it say the headlight of the motorcycle was on, or off?

And it says the motorcyclist had all the correct safety gear...possibly to the officer this means he did have a fluro vest on.

You always assume too much to twist things round to your point of view.
    Have you ever ridden a modern bike,the bloody headlight is automatically on at ignition,many jappas from the mid 90's and euro bikes as well.Sure heaps of harley riders wear black,and only black for sure,but many (the born again 40yr and above)still don't have a death wish,I know personally 3 guys all 48plus who ride hogs and do everything possible to avoid crashes,have consideration for road users(no loud pipes).

And yep I have travelled this intersection frequently,amazing how many near misses happen,and between cars and trucks,the crucial thing is not "I didn't see them officer,more like I miss judged the distance" to me the "I didn't see the bike" is better than admitting they couldn't judge the distance and speed.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    None any more
    I note that Ulysses appears to have become the Aged Fluoro Riders Club.

If people want to wear these infernal things, good on them, as long as it remains an area of personal choice. My fear is that some regulator somewhere will, one day in a burst of enthusiasm, make the wearing of fluoro garb mandatory. I for one, hate pointless and ineffective laws.

Fluoro has become the norm in the construction industry together with a range of other more useful personal protective equipment (PPE). I suspect that it is used more as a uniform so that employers and the public know who is a paid employee.

There is absolutely no evidence anywhere that shows that the wearing of fluoro on its own makes any difference to accidents as a consequence of making its wearers more conspicuous.

The biggest danger of such gear is attitudinal: the people who wear it believe that they are more conspicuous. They're not. Car drivers who clean up bikers invariably do so because they claim they didn't see the person they lovingly killed or maimed prior to doing so. That is generally because they weren't looking or paying attention. Wearing flashing neon is unlikely to have made any difference in such circumstances.

Ride on the basis that car drivers can't see you and, if they can, that they want to kill you. That will see you riding in a much better space than wearing something shamefully coloured orange or lime.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Flouro-the placebo of thinking wearing it makes me invincible to all road users.
    I detest the fact that someone will think if I am made to wear it I am safe,on the road I wear all the gear,don't need some poly telling me to be safe be seen,ffs I have light always(unless low beam blows)on at ignition,can't bypass it,and wearing a flouro vest at best will probably come open and fly off lol,another hazzard.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i think they do see us but the single headlight and small profile make speed judgement difficult.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    So bright colours doesn't increase visibility of vehicles?

Interesting theory, any proof to back it up?
    Any proof it does?If they cant see a headlight they wont notice the colour of your bike either.

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i think they do see us but the single headlight and small profile make speed judgement difficult.
    Same reason maybe people get hit by trains as well,nothing to do with in-attention.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Riding home today some silly little tart just about cleaned me up in a round-a-bout, just as well I saw that fact she didn't even look to see if anything was coming and just barreled on through, was only doing about 25-30kph and had plenty of time to stop mid interestion.

Bike
    NZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    My fear is that some regulator somewhere will, one day in a burst of enthusiasm, make the wearing of fluoro garb mandatory.
    I think that encroaches too far on civil liberties for there not to be a serious backlash.

You could argue that pedestrians should all wear hi-vi gear, they're always getting hit because they're "unseen".

I personally don't even like that it's mandatory to wear helmets but cyclists have to and car drivers have to wear seatbelts so I guess it's even for now.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by jazfender View Post
    I think that encroaches too far on civil liberties for there not to be a serious backlash.

I personally don't even like that it's mandatory to wear helmets but cyclists have to and car drivers have to wear seatbelts so I guess it's even for now.
    Put a helmet on give your mrs a hammer and get her to smack you across the head then remove helmet get her to do it again,simple really.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creature View Post
    this article has inspired CREATURE an L Plate rider that you can never learn enough to be a safe rider.
    The REAL point is ... no matter how safe a rider you are ... there are enough dangerous riders/drivers out there to negate the safeness you may feel ...

Motorcycling is dangerous ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Any proof it does?If they cant see a headlight they wont notice the colour of your bike either.
    OR see a high vis' vest ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    NZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Put a helmet on give your mrs a hammer and get her to smack you across the head then remove helmet get her to do it again,simple really.
    Yup, but not the point.

Might just hammer the missus.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by ynot slow View Post
    Same reason maybe people get hit by trains as well,nothing to do with in-attention.
    Perhaps trains should also wear fluoro vests.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information