Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADV shell jackets

Bike
    DRZ400E

ADV shell jackets

Anyone got any experience with the Fox All Pro Weather Jacket?

Traction have a couple of sizes coming down for me to try out and inspect but neither them or the Fox rep has had any experience with them so they couldn't comment on performance.

Having a prick of a time finding a quality waterproof lightweight but durable shell jacket (eg no armour in jacket) to go over a body armour suit, I wanted the Thor Ride series Jacket...

...but NZ wholesaler said 2011 range wont arrive till September with no other models in my size currently in NZ

Been to a number of stores that have jackets that have been too bulky, or not fully waterproof, or has body armour installed, or is not available in the right size. Last option is to see what the Fox All Pro Weather Jacket is like, failing that does anyone have any other recommendations for NZ shops holding stock of good quality fully waterproof lightweight but durable durable ADV shell jackets?

Bike
    Agent Orange
    It looks like this new Fox All Weather jacket may be replacing the Fox 360 Enduro jacket (no armour, shell only style). Its a well made cordura jacket but not what I'd call waterproof, more to keep mud or splashes out, not rain.

The Thor Ride jackets have been avail for a couple of years now but 2011 or new season ones are prob the ones out of stock.
    KTM now use Thor Ride jackets in their Enduro range

I was looking into getting one but scored a KTM Race Comp jacket by chance on TM here in NZ. Velly speshal plice.
    It is the schizz, lots of pockets for tools, time card window on sleeve, etc etc. Reasonably waterproof too, but not by wet West Coast standards, lol. Comes with soft armour which is removeable if you want to wear compression suit armour.

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    It looks like this new Fox All Weather jacket may be replacing the Fox 360 Enduro jacket...
    Hmm, Traction mentioned the Fox 360 Enduro Brace jacket with compatability to run a neck brace, presumably there are two models? Will have to look into that

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    ...I was looking into getting one but scored a KTM Race Comp jacket by chance on TM here in NZ.
    Nice jacket, for those who ride "Fast Orange dirty ones"

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I've got Wulfsport and Thor Phase enduro jackets. Neither are waterproof.

I love them both.

I need to give them a going over with the spray stuff and see how they cope then.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Waterproof usually means a sauna jacket once the speed drops and the terrain gets tricky.
    It's a tuff thing to work out which option to use sometimes and for me usually depends on where I'm going.

Actually not sure I read the question properly... tiny screen on this netbook is annoying me and no net where the big screen is at home at present .

ahh... more to say....
    I pack a dri rider overjacket on most potentially wet rides now, was carting a warehouse one but they a bit heavier.
    When on the CRF and real muddy etc over my armour I using a Dririder mesh thing with it's armour removed and a zip in water resistant liner but I usually get wet from the inside out or from swimming in it.

Got no experience with the ones you are actually asking about.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Transalp 600, WR250R
    I agree with Transalper's comment that most times you get wetter from the sauna inside rather than the rain outside. So I wanted just a shell and bought a Thor Pack jacket. Good wind protection on the road then it goes into my backpack or can be stuffed into itself & has belt. Has back vents and is moderately waterproof. My biggest complaint is the neck opening isn't big enough to pull over a helmet - doh I don't want to take off my helmet just when it starts pissing down! Lightweight fabric means no abrasion protection and I don't expect it to last many crashes. Check out these superceded ranges, the prices quoted are retail, you order thru your bikeshop.
    http://vm.net.nz/454unlimited/catalo...=1&pageCount=1

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
    I agree with Transalper's comment that most times you get wetter from the sauna inside rather than the rain outside. So I wanted just a shell and bought a Thor Pack jacket. Good wind protection on the road then it goes into my backpack or can be stuffed into itself & has belt. Has back vents and is moderately waterproof.
    To be honest, I have always run DriRider RallyCross armoured jackets. I do rate them, but they can be bulky when storing in the panniers when off fishing, walking etc, the removable waterproof liner is waterproof but the sleeve setup makes it hard to get a watertight seal (it only takes one fuel stop and a bad reseal to get wet), and even though it is mostly mesh with the waterproof liner out, when it is a stinking hot day or when riding aggressively it is just too hot to wear leaving me riding without armour/protection, and I'm not a fan of that. ATGATT

So, based on a lot of research and planning, this is the riding setup I have put together (just awaiting final shell jacket)...

Layers from the ground up:

Warmth building layers
    Icebreaker Marino 200g/m2 Mondo Zip - Build layer 1
    Icebreaker Marino 200g/m2 Mondo Zip - Build layer 2
    Icebreaker Marino 260g/m2 Tech Top - Build layer 3

Total 660g/m2 marino in layering which should be more than adequate

Crash protection
    Thor Impact Rig

Fits nice and snug with no thermal layers for nice cool use on hot days plus also fits snug with all 3 build layers for those cold days

Wind protection
    Thor Pack Jacket

Used to create a nice snug fit (more snug than just using a single firm shell jacket) to encapsulate heat within the thermals

Rain Protection
    Fox All Weather Pro Jacket

Used primarily on days when the rain is pissing down and there is open road or long gravel sections where you are plowing into the rain

The multiple layer setup should allow me to add/strip combinations of layers for any given situation, from stinking hot through to snowy southerly storms, pretty much anything NZ can throw at me. I certainly hope so, collectively this is a costly way of setting up, but it is all quality gear that should work well, be far more flexible, and make riding in NZ winters and summers much more comfortable... I'll let you know

Quote Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
    Check out these superceded ranges, the prices quoted are retail, you order thru your bikeshop.
    http://vm.net.nz/454unlimited/catalo...=1&pageCount=1
    Thats some good prices

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Everyone who sells the Thor Phase jackets quotes the same "hook-and-loop cuff gaiters".
    It's a zip people! Get it right!

Sorry, as you were...

Bike
    DR650SEK9

Thumbs up Spanky one-piece

I reckon the tiny packaway style, over the top jobber. You can get seperates or a spanky one-piece. Liteweight, waterproof and can disappear into your panniers lickity-split...
    Skiddies and Wheelies!

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by badblackbuell View Post
    I reckon the tiny packaway style, over the top jobber. You can get seperates or a spanky one-piece. Liteweight, waterproof and can disappear into your panniers lickity-split...
    Good suggestion on the onesie, done, just ordered me one of these...

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Good suggestion on the onesie, done, just ordered me one of these...

Oooh look, it's the teletubbies

Bike
    800XC

Did you get one?

These guys are supposed to be the ducks nuts and with the exchange rate.......

http://www.klimusa.com/catalog/Jackets,99.htm

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Yep, I got the Fox in the end

So far I am happy. It packs down very very small which is great, fits well, it appears to be well constructed, good sealed YKK zips throughout, fantastic ventilation, good neck and pull cord base seal to keep that cold wind out, and priced reasonably at $370.

My only gripe is the clear panel on the left sleeve. For gloves worn internally and the jacket pulled up for a tight seal it bunches this ridged clear panel and doesn't get the best seal. Other than that it is a brilliant jacket., so far I likey

Last weekend I was kitted out with the gear as listed above (Marino building layers X 3 > Thor Impact Rig > Thor Pack Jacket > Fox Jacket) so far it is a much preferred option over my normal armoured ADV jacket setup, I find it more comfortable and non-restricted to wear, more flexible with the the ability to chop and change any combination of layers to perfectly suit the conditions, and more compact

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The window is for enduro time cards.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SAR
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The window is for enduro time cards.
    Aaaand... so you don't have to take your glubs off every ten minutes so you can show the nice officer your licence.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information