Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This bloody L-plate!!! First ride...

Bike
    '92 CBR600 F2

This bloody L-plate!!! First ride...

Okay... Now I'd heard some people bitch about this plate before but today I had my first experience with the whole thing...

A workmate and I drove up to Whangarei to pick up a nice shiney 2004 GSX250, 5200km, $3600... sweeeet For a first bike, this is a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, we got back (he rode it back), I stuck the L-plate on and got out clocking up a few K's... 20 minutes later after riding round the block I had the hang of the bike (mostly) and got went out for a longer ride. Not two minutes later I had dickhead #1 overtake me on the inside 50m past the end of a two lane merge into one... If I was in my car that sure as hell wouldn't have happened... I'd been riding 2/3rd across from the left (as it was about a 1.5 car wide lane - west coast road) at about 55kmh. Plenty fast enough... Maybe it was the bike? Maybe it was the L-plate... Anyway...

Twenty minutes later... dickhead #2 tail gates me by hanging around about 2m away... once again, doing 55kmh, in the right hand tyre track... I figured this just had to be a fluke... I put up with that for about a minute before pulling down side road (I wasn't going anywhere in particular anyway).

On my way back from my little excursion... yet again doing 55ish in the right hand track (no cars in front) dickhead #3 comes right up along side my back end on the left hand side and sits there before pulling back a bit... I moved a little more to the centre of the lane (slowly) only to have them overtake me at around 70ish and blow the horn at me. Bargh! What did I do? No indicator left on... certainly not going too slowly... And then they just pulled into some shops 500m in front.

Is this just something to do with being on a bike in general, or is it an L-plate thing, or is it just because I live in Auckland? I've been driving for nine years now and don't see this many dumb-ass things take place in two weeks, let alone one hour... I say two weeks because this is Auckland... These are those once-a-month kinda things anywhere else in the country.

Other things I had fun with (on a little back road) was trying to hill-start. That's a hell of a lot more difficult than in a car I suspect I just need to get all my limbs trained to doing different jobs.

Aside from that, two out of three riders (must have been 10 or so all up) acknowledged me in some way with a nod or slight wave... and of course you do much the same back... it was very interesting to see how other bikers treat you when you're on the back of one of these things! And, just as I was nearly home, a biker pulled out of a driveway ahead of me (heading toward me) and popped a wheelie as they rode past... made the end of my ride all that much more enjoyable. And just to top it all off... I got lost!!! That was fun! Haven't done that in years! Somewhere in Titirangi at the roundabout... rode around for 30 minutes and popped back out at the round about thinking I was up more towards henderson. Great fun... and bloody enjoyable.

So! The saga of the first ride...

[Edit] Just to be fair, I did stall it twice and drivers behind me were pretty patient for the extra few seconds it took me to get moving. Hopefully the friendly wave was enough for them to get the idea I was trying to thank them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyGSX250.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	12158  

Bike
    05 R6 & 89 GSXR250
    It IS the plate. When I got my 2nd bike, I rode for a week with L plate on...tailgaters, overtaking etc. Took plate off, haven't had any probs.

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    It's an L plate thing, I took mine off as soon as I felt comfortable on my bike and found people a lot more respectful.
    You'll learn the hill starting thing, like you say it is just retraining
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Hahaha... get used to the whole 'ass riding overtake in your lane' thing... some people are just bastards.

When you get used to the bike and its control features, weave around (like warming tyres etc) in the lane if they tailgate you badly (*AND are not overtaking you at the time for obvious reasons*). They think you are a psycho and they get scared - dropping back... works every time, even Pajeros .

One of my old mates called Simon (non kb'r) lives down Atkinson road and he has a gsxr across 250. I used to live down that road too!

Btw I will be riding scenic drv tomorrow around 12:00 with gareth_d... both our first time on bikes on that road so you are more than welcome to meet us by titirangi village shops. (Anyone else can come along if needed ;D).

Bike
    '92 CBR600 F2
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTboy
    It's an L plate thing, I took mine off as soon as I felt comfortable on my bike and found people a lot more respectful.
    You'll learn the hill starting thing, like you say it is just retraining
    No doubt I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing it right... putting it in first and holding it in place with the back brake until I got going seemed to work pretty well. Is there an easier way? I kept stalling it in the process of letting the clutch out in conjunction with more throtle and letting go of the brake. Kinda like a contortionist trying to squeeze into a little box.

Bike
    '92 CBR600 F2
    Quote Originally Posted by tristank
    Btw I will be riding scenic drv tomorrow around 12:00 with gareth_d... both our first time on bikes on that road so you are more than welcome to meet us by titirangi village shops. (Anyone else can come along if needed ;D).
    That's a nice drive... Thanks for the offer. Almost tempted to take the day off work so I can ride the bike.

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoarMouse
    No doubt I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing it right... putting it in first and holding it in place with the back brake until I got going seemed to work pretty well. Is there an easier way? I kept stalling it in the process of letting the clutch out in conjunction with more throtle and letting go of the brake. Kinda like a contortionist trying to squeeze into a little box.
    That's the way it's done, it's all about getting the timing right and you'll be able to do it as easily as in a manual car
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    Aprilia RS250

When you get used to the bike and its control features, weave around (like warming tyres etc) in the lane if they tailgate you badly (*AND are not overtaking you at the time for obvious reasons*). They think you are a psycho and they get scared - dropping back... works every time, even Pajeros .
    That does the trick every time, those following closely shit themselves and reckon that you are about to fall off and drop right back.

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoarMouse
    I've always managed to get it right with using the front brake alone. I just give throttle whilst still keeping two fingers on the brake lever and as I release the clutch I ease off the brake. I've used the rear brake for hill starts but I much prefer using the front brake alone as my right leg is the preferred human sidestand.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave
    I've always managed to get it right with using the front brake alone. I just give throttle whilst still keeping two fingers on the brake lever and as I release the clutch I ease off the brake. I've used the rear brake for hill starts but I much prefer using the front brake alone as my right leg is the preferred human sidestand.
    Rear brake for hill starts the Road Code says. But I use the front, cos the rear brake nowdays is on the wrong side!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    justsomebike
    YOU BASTARD ........

You went for a ride down scenic drive without me???

I thought we were friends!!!!!

Good thing - Erik and I went down there at 2:30....... to Helensville and back......

So how did you find my favourite road in the whole wide world???????? Please tell

By the way - any time you want to cruise Scenic Drive PLEASE give me a yell!!!

I can never get enough of it - it gets even better at night too..... guessing the road gets that much more fun - everythings pitch black as there are no streetlights and the trees shade the road from Moon or starlight

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    Hill starts and stuff are best done with the front brake IMO, yes the L plate attracts a lot of unwanted attention, you either live with that for 6 months or risk a ticket and take it off, most of us have taken ours off, I can sit my restricted as soon as I get the money and a working bike ARGHH!

Glad your bikes running great and it turned out fine!

JSG I have a councillor who would be happy to meet you...

Bike
    2005 ZX6R
    lol

been riding 2 months without a plate and licence with no problems. I even stalled my bike (died in second gear with the cluth fully in ?) while slowing down to a round about in front of a cop and he just watched as I restarted the bike and rode on (cautiously). Passed at least 6 coppers so far, some times 10k over the speed limit. I'm probably just lucky.

But who travels at the speed limit ? I've hardly ever come across a car doing 55 in a 50 k zone.

Bike
    justsomebike
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    ........the L plate attracts a lot of unwanted attention, you either live with that for 3 months or risk a ticket and take it off, .........
    Glad your bikes running great and it turned out fine!

JSG I have a councillor who would be happy to meet you...
    3 Months?? I thought it was 6..... ?? Is it 3 for over 25's??

Why do I need to see a councillor?? I am not addicted to that road...... I can quit riding it any time I want.

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    6 months I must have being thinking of sumin else dunno.

Thread Information