Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: darned slippery

Bike
    Honda PC800

darned slippery

Heading northbound onto the auckland harbour bridge this morning I hit a 1.0m wide metal joiner plate. -the plate goes right across the road
    Its pretty darned slippery -I got a fair ol sideways shift on it.
    Worth watchin out for
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I always catch that in the wet..
    don't be acceleratin hard, or you'll get the taste of concrete. Just cruise gentley over them and no harsh/rash movements.
    I used to power it over them, see if I could get the wheel to spin up. Not recommended, but cheap thrills..
    just mind how you go, and good point frosty..

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    It's not just on the road either - those manhole type covers are bad enough on the footpath - my niece has just slipped on one and broken her elbow.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    One of the guys at work had a whinge about that the other day, I don't go over the brigde daily so it's not a problem for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer
    It's not just on the road either - those manhole type covers are bad enough on the footpath - my niece has just slipped on one and broken her elbow.
    Um I sorta hope noone here is riding on the footpath.Could get very messy very fast
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    On my last ride I went over four rail tracks in row. The bike got a bit twitchy. Woke me up I can tell you.!
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    That metal bit on the bridge is a bit dodgy in the wet... I've also noticed when your in the 3rd lane heading towards the city... the metal thingy is pretty un-even and when you hit it, it feels like you've hit a small ramp on the road... *doesn't go in the 3rd lane anymore*
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    Um I sorta hope noone here is riding on the footpath.Could get very messy very fast
    Knowing my niece, the only wheels she'd have on the footpath would be the ones on her two year-old's baby buggy!

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Heading northbound onto the auckland harbour bridge this morning I hit a 1.0m wide metal joiner plate. -the plate goes right across the road
    Worth watchin out for
    sounds like riding the TL in the wet everywhere..... I love riding to work hehehe
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    There are a number of metal gratings on the Haast Pass road that have a very similar effect. I tend to approach them as straight on as possible, and lift the front wheel ever so slightly as I cross them.
    Time to ride

Bike
    In between bikes
    Had the misfortune recently one dark winter morning of hitting two man hole covers slightly spaced out mid-corner!

Hitting the first caused the front to suddenly slide away. Moments later while still regaining control, hit the second which did a repeat of the first.

Fortunately there were no parked cars because hitting them both forced my line to drift wide by 2m. That corner of now taken very slowly with extreme caution.

Railway lines can be nasty and I've got to cross some 2 & 4 tracks daily. Got those nailed for the smoothest and safest line.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I did the whole -slide on the lines hit the deck bit in the bay of islands once--by blind chance--and my not thinking I was angled so both friggin wheels hit the rails same time - Bloddy funny sitting on my ass in the middle of Kawakawa laughing my head off --I was doing 5km/h at the time

Bike
    CB900
    Another thing to watch out for is wet cardboard. I had a moment turning into a side street in the wet the other night, halfway around the corner the front gets a slide on, I just about shit myself and can't work out what it was. So I continue on my way. On the way home I slow down and have a look at the corner and low and behold there is a soggy wet and slippery piece of cardboard box sitting there. Impossible to see as it had obviously been there a while and been run over by numerous cars. I managed to scrape it of the road and get rid of it. Just another hazzard out there trying it's best to remove the friction between the road and tyre.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Yes, wet cardboard is nasty! So are discarded ball point pens - you wouldn't believe the number of times I have put my foot down and slipped on one someone has thrown away.

Around our way it's usually cow shit and mud from tractors - loverly! Thank god we got rid of the steep gravel driveway though, that's one less hazard to worry about.

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Worth watchin out for
    even the dirty little vanvan can get out of shape on that.
    def. a throtlle OFF maneouver.
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Thread Information