Thread: Jetting DRZ400E

Bike
    2005 Suzuk DRZ400E & 2008 Hyosung GT650R
    Blog Entries

Cog Jetting DRZ400E

Can anybody help me here?

I just bought a 2006 DRZ400E after 15 years away from bikes. I wanted a reliable bike that requires less maintanence than a modern day thumper. I chose the DRZ400E for these reasons and also because here in New Zealand the DRZ400E has two E models. I have been told that oth have FCR39 Keihn carbie. One E model is dirt only. One is "dual purpose" (DP) model and is road registerable. The Suzuki dealer stated the difference is that the dirt version has a flatside carb whereas the DP model has a CV carb. I don't know if this is actually the case or which is fitted to my bike....however if what the dealer says is true I have the CV carbie.

I have fitted a Leo Vince X3 muffler since purchasing the bike. I got the shop to do it as I have yet to learn basic motorcycle tuning etc. They rejetted the carbie with a 175 main jet. (It was 165 which I believe is stock for the Australian and New Zealand market E models). I was hoping that rejetting would solve the following problem.....

Prior to taking it to the shop I found that the bike often cut out when stationary when off the throttle (i.e at the lights) or when first appying throttle after sitting at lights or an intersection etc. Also, there seems to be some "bog" at low rpm.

FYI the kickstand shut off has been disengaged.

The rejetting did'nt stop the cutting out or "bog"......and the bike seems to idle worse than before, particulaly when cold and/or with the choke pulled out.

Could someone please advise me as to what spec's I should get the guys at the shop to set my carbie up for?

Also, Should I leave the Coast Enricher on or remove it?...I see that alot of people are removing it. What if any advantage is there of removing it? Won't it cause the bike to backfire etc?

I will be doing mostly trail riding but as the bike is registered I plan to do some adventure type riding to.

If you need to know anything regarding my setup just ask and I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks heaps!

Goose

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Try asking the same questions on Thumper talk .com? I think that's the home of all things DRZ, failing that Rogson on here is very good with bike set up and he might chime in but his DRZ is a bit more modified than yours.

If you want to set your jetting up tho you will neeed to be prepared to get your hands dirty and play with the carb, there is no one answer to these things.

Edit: I see you found the adventure riding forum, you will probably get your answers there....

Bike
    xr400r

more gas more power

well the bike shop richened the main jet , ask them if they increased the pilot jet size as well . if you read up on jetting and tuning you have described a lean condition in the pilot circut of the carb , they may be able to just tune it out by adjusting the mixture screw. also check idle speed.

Bike
    2005 Suzuk DRZ400E & 2008 Hyosung GT650R
    Blog Entries

Jetting

Cheers for that.

Just got it back from the shop. Got these settings from Thumpertalk prior to my previous post but thought someone local i.e NZ, might have had some idea.

160 Main jet.
    Needle moved to clip 5
    45 pilot jet
    Fuel screw 2 turns.

Also had the valves shimmed and replaced the spark plug as the shops previous jetting (175) was to rich and had fouled the plug.

Overall it is running a hell of a lot better.

Bike
    xr400r

Cool

good to hear you got it sorted , did you ask 4 cut price on tune cause they messed up the the previous tune.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Thats the info I need to get mine back to stock. I was getting 100-120k out of a tank.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Thread Information