Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed, 300 EXC or 450 EXC?

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm84mxc View Post
    Here we go boris
    SXf motocross linkage, no side stand, 19inch rear, close ratio gear box, mx suspension
    XCf mx linkage, side stand, larger fuel tank, mx exhaust, mx suspension, wide ratio gear box, no lights.
    EXCf PDS no linkage, full lighting & can road reg, side stand, enduro spec suspension & exhaust
    The XC models are an american model built up for there cross country races in the desert & prairies eg montana, texas, utah.
    At last count KTM make 10 distinct 250cc models, some times it is to much choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    SX-F - Motocross bike, 5 speed, 19in rear wheel, black standard tank, linkage rear
    XC-F - Cross country bike, based on SX-F, 6 speed, 18in rear wheel, clear larger tank, linkage rear
    EXC-F - Enduro bike, enduro spec engines, 6 speed, 18 in rear wheel, clear larger tank, no linkage/PDS rear.

Or something close to that anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    What these two esteemed gentlemen have already pointed out.
    Thanks all, EXC-F it looks like it will be.
    Now WT if you give me 10k for my bike i can buy one nowSo it looks like i have some saving to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungatoke Mad View Post
    EXC Stands for Excellent Choice XCF stands for Xtraordinary cute Fucker & sxf's are for silly X fukers who would rather fuk around with a kick start rather than push a button
    Very good

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Boris there will always be trade ins & run out models for sale, a 2yr old ktm with service history & low hours eg100 will be 3-5g under the current model.
    Best to talk to KTM dealer as they may have trade ins to clear or sellers wanting a quick cash up, dealers don't like there cash tied up on floor stock.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm84mxc View Post
    Boris there will always be trade ins & run out models for sale, a 2yr old ktm with service history & low hours eg100 will be 3-5g under the current model.
    Best to talk to KTM dealer as they may have trade ins to clear or sellers wanting a quick cash up, dealers don't like there cash tied up on floor stock.
    i was only dreaming. our two road bikes we got on run out specials.

I hadn't thought of changing until next year anyway, But if someone gives me a good deal then i could be persuaded to buy early.
    And i normally only buy new.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
    Would love to hear from somone who has ridden both the bikes you mention in tight stuff particularly. Or maybe I should meet you up at woodhill one weekend, and we swap bikes for a while? Or should we go for the wires
    Hi Roger, thanks for the feedback, it was this sort of stuff I was looking for, I'm hoping the demo day next weekend will answer most of these questions, if I can punt the bikes thru the Convict or Criminal trails that wll answer almost all my questions.
    I'm also a bit cautious of the weight of a 4 stroke but if I buy the 450 I can use it on Brittons adventure trail rides as well so there's more than one agenda here.

Catch up with you some time (hopefully not in the too far distant future).

Thanks to the other 450 comments guys, anyone got a 300 to 450 comparison?

Bike
    . .
    Ian, If I hadn't originally got my 525 for adventure riding and road duties I would probably have gotten a 400exc. BTW my 525 has done over 10,000 kms so far with no issues.

Bike
    Sandpit 2 Smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by barty5 View Post
    might have to come have a look as it is just round the corner. if i dont go fishing
    Its just another day at the Sandpit and entry is as per normal. So you bring your own bike and ride all day and then demo a bike as the need arises.

The Half price admission is still being discussed and is only if you turn up to demo the bike without your own. Its really only to discourage tyre kickers that could also be ghost riders (them that could steal the bike). This does happen.

I'm a 300 owner and I'm sorry CRF119 but it does have the legs over a stock 450. 140km/h of legs in fact. On the last two man I was coming out of the fenceline corner and just overtaking 450's in the Expert class by the end of the 500m straight.
    They definately are not just a trail bike and on the other hand they handle like the Queen Mary on an MX track. Bloody awful.

Bike
    KTM300EXC

Bike
    2008 CRF450, CBR900RR, 125 Pit bike
    I'm a 300 owner and I'm sorry CRF119 but it does have the legs over a stock 450. 140km/h of legs in fact. On the last two man I was coming out of the fenceline corner and just overtaking 450's in the Expert class by the end of the 500m straight.
    KTMBOY i wasn't talking top speed i was talking about it lacks top end power. If i wanted i could gear my 450 to do well over 140kmh but from the box they are geared for MX tracks and the KTM is geared for the trail. It has been a long time since ive ridden a stock 450 tho.

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Yep you are correct crf119 top speed is not so important unless you're doing the Finke race etc, how you get there is.
    My old 84mxc wud do ova 140kph on standard gearing but 1st was to low for mx & 5th well over geared unless the straits a kilometre long. Great for hare scrambles etc.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    I'd go for the 300 2T for sure , seems the word 'powerband' has'nt been mentioned in this thread ....?

I think it's called the 'Fun Factor' , nothing beats the buzz you get when the wheel lifts when you're shifting through the gears ....even in 4th and 5th , omg

Bike
    GG 300 SD 10
    Really all this thread says is buy the 300 2t.
    You won't regret it.

450 you might like it but will always hear the 2 strokes and then you'll wonder.

I went up that wires track once. Sure glad it was on the 300. I may have had a tanty if I was on a heavy 450.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    One thing I have to say in the 300's favour, everyone I've spoken to who owns one has a slightly unhinged look in their eyes and a passion about their bike that other riders never quite have... so there must be something very, very good about them that those who haven't ridden one don't know about...

Bike
    Sandpit 2 Smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by CRF119 View Post
    KTMBOY i wasn't talking top speed i was talking about it lacks top end power. If i wanted i could gear my 450 to do well over 140kmh but from the box they are geared for MX tracks and the KTM is geared for the trail. It has been a long time since ive ridden a stock 450 tho.
    We've had a few tests on straight line speed and there is only a bike length in them until the 300 winds up. KX and CRF 450's stock.

What I have been told is that the 2012 300's have been fiddled with again. The 250 2t is now the best of the field. Freakin confusing if you ask me.

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    I've not ridden a 300 2t but have ridden a 250 exc 2t against my 350SXF. If I don't do any more motocross (based on recent injuries this might be the case); I'd go for a 2t. The 250EXC is an awesome bike, and far more torque than any mx 250 2t I have evre riden. I loved it -and when you are an hour into the ride, it starts to rain and your dealing with snotty ruts, tree roots, slippery clay cliff faces and bush clad valleys of doom (as you do) the weight advantage of the 2t really shines. Or if you are on a stroker the weight really sucks.....If the 300 is the same weight as teh 250EXC 2t, and even more torquey, I'd get that. It has the electric leg too which also is a life saver when in said valleys of doom.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Definate leanings towards the stroker eh?

The reasons I'm considering the 4 stroke are based upon a ride on a Husaberg 390 I had a year ago, very smooth power and easier to ride more quickly than my current 200. I always find the 200 a bit of a handfull when it hits the power band and althought I could soften that by tuning the power valve it needs all it's power so that seemed a bit counterproductive. The 4 stroke with it's flat torque curve has a lot of appeal as I'm not out to win any races but want to be able to ride smoothly for longer and the 390 seemed to give me that ability.
    My concern with the 450 is that it will be a stump puller and I will end up being cautious of it's throttle as well.

Why so much "extra weight " warnings, the 4 strokes are 10 to 15 kgs heavier but is that enough to go from "light" to "heavy"? The ride I had on a 525 didn't give me that impression, it felt heavier in the front but given the 200 spends most of it's life with the front in the air, anything would feel like that.

Any answers?

Thread Information