Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed enforcement - what tricks are the police using?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Speed enforcement - what tricks are the police using?

Having spent the last 10 years living in the UK, i have become a little naive to the tactics and techniques the police are using, i have held a clean licence for 14 years but i am picking up a gixer 1000 this weekend and want to keep it that way, i am looking at a TPX radar detector today but when i left fixed speed cameras were just been installed in Napier at the time there was only one or two.

I hear that there are undercover crappy vans out and about now by some private firms that are not even marked up at all? - one was pointed out to me on the side of the road, do the take images both sides or just from the back of there van IE can i stick my finger up as i ride towards it?

Can someone educate me on the systems the police have in there cars, are they always sending out signals or reading speeds of vehicles all the time, does it work both ways ie giving reads for persons in front of there car or both sides of the road or are they having to aim it towards a vehicle first as they are driving along?

Any other things i need to be aware of, i am assuming its still ford xrs and holdens they are using for undercover vehicles?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    can i stick my finger up as i ride towards it?
    You're welcome to stick your finger up your own arse, but why stick it up at a speed camera. somewhere there'll be a pile of photos of fuckwits like you with their fingers 'up' and they'll use these to legislate front number plates I'm thinking...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Simple answer is don't speed.

or wear a disguise, I recommend silly hats
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silly hat.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	248519
    White Trash Pearls of Wisdom #2654 - Refering to yourself in the 3rd person: The only thing gayer, would be being caught handcuffed around a public toilet bowl, an apple stuffed in your mouth and George Michael administering an epic caneing to your exposed cheeks while Boy George documents the event on a handicam.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Simple answer is don't speed.
    No it isn't, not speeding is actually really fecking hard to do...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    No it isn't, not speeding is actually really fecking hard to do...
    Really?

You don't have enough "Mantrol" then.

If I really wanted to stay below "speeding" limits, then it isn't that hard.
    I choose to exceed them.

My choice, my consequence.
    My fine, my demerits.

I still recommend silly hats though...
    White Trash Pearls of Wisdom #2654 - Refering to yourself in the 3rd person: The only thing gayer, would be being caught handcuffed around a public toilet bowl, an apple stuffed in your mouth and George Michael administering an epic caneing to your exposed cheeks while Boy George documents the event on a handicam.

Bike
    1999, BMX201332

Having spent the last 10 years living in the UK, i have become a little naive to the tactics and techniques the police are using, i have held a clean licence for 14 years but i am picking up a gixer 1000 this weekend and want to keep it that way, i am looking at a TPX radar detector today but when i left fixed speed cameras were just been installed in Napier at the time there was only one or two.

I hear that there are undercover crappy vans out and about now by some private firms that are not even marked up at all? - one was pointed out to me on the side of the road, do the take images both sides or just from the back of there van IE can i stick my finger up as i ride towards it?

Can someone educate me on the systems the police have in there cars, are they always sending out signals or reading speeds of vehicles all the time, does it work both ways ie giving reads for persons in front of there car or both sides of the road or are they having to aim it towards a vehicle first as they are driving along?

Any other things i need to be aware of, i am assuming its still ford xrs and holdens they are using for undercover vehicles?
    Thanks for sharing that mate... greatly appreciated .........
    However, on other note:

Originally Posted by zippy

This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. ://" onclick="kh99_iqts_show('1130174924_1'); return false;">Show Quote
    can i stick my finger up as i ride towards it?

You're welcome to stick your finger up your own arse, but why stick it up at a speed camera. somewhere there'll be a pile of photos of fuckwits like you with their fingers 'up' and they'll use these to legislate front number plates I'm thinking...

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Yes, they have old vans with cameras inside, and the odd station wagon too. Their unmarked cars can be just about any newish car, certainly not restricted to just fords and holdens. Patrol cars with radar often use what they call "instant on" which means they see you and press the button and it zaps on and zaps you. As far as I'm aware radar detectors are not much good against this technique.
    Personally I find it all just a bit too stressful riding with eyes on stalks these days and can not be bothered speeding on state highways, main roads etc.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Really?

If I really wanted to stay below "speeding" limits, then it isn't that hard.
    I choose to exceed them.

My choice, my consequence.
    My fine, my demerits.

I still recommend silly hats though...
    So from that I assume you've not tried to not speed at all during the entirety of a journeny of reasonable length then? I don't mean generally not exceeding the speed limit, mean not at all, ever, for the whole trip.

Try it this weekend, in fact try it for the whole weekend. Don't speed once. Then tell me how easy it is...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    So from that I assume you've not tried to not speed at all during the entirety of a journeny of reasonable length then? I don't mean generally not exceeding the speed limit, mean not at all, ever, for the whole trip.

Try it this weekend, in fact try it for the whole weekend. Don't speed once. Then tell me how easy it is...
    Done over 700kms in a single journey without ever going over 100kms.

If they are unknown roads to me I generally go at a slower pace, but that is just me.
    Roads I know are a different story.

This weekend will be a breeze to not speed. I'll be intoxicated all weekend so will not be on the bike.

Obviously a familiar ride or route it is easy for your speed to go above without realising. But saying that it is freckin hard to not speed is a load of crap.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Really?

I was just wondering...

Is the female version of Mantrol something like...Cuntrol?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1997 Suzuki TL1000S
    It's quite difficult to keep to the speed limit on a 1000 cc sportbike...you barely get into 3rd on a 6 speed g/box....anyway why do we have these bikes, because of the thrill of the power !!!!....a 150 cc will quite adequately do 100 kph....I can't see many of us on those...no direspect....

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Done over 700kms in a single journey without ever going over 100kms.

If they are unknown roads to me I generally go at a slower pace, but that is just me.
    Roads I know are a different story.

This weekend will be a breeze to not speed. I'll be intoxicated all weekend so will not be on the bike.

Obviously a familiar ride or route it is easy for your speed to go above without realising. But saying that it is freckin hard to not speed is a load of crap.
    Now are you sure you didn’t speed over that entire journey? You may not have exceeded 100kph, but was 100kph the only posted speed limit you were subject to on that journey? Did you strictly adhere to any of the other speed limits you encountered on that journey? You didn’t at any point go from a 100kph zone to say a 70 or 50kph zone and not slow down to below that speed, before you passed that new speed limit sign? Or any other situation where you might have exceeded a lower speed limit without even noticing? I’m intrigued, any specific reason for not exceeding 100kph in this journey that you’re not telling me?

I also find it interesting that in your reply, you even offer up a situation where it’s easy to speed… surely that would by logic mean that in that situation, it’s not easy to not speed?

The point I’m making is it might be easy to maintain a speed somewhere in the region of the posted speed limit, but unless you spend a lot of time concentrating on your speed, make a point of travelling at a reasonable amount below the posted speed limit to avoid speed creep, as well as watch yourself closely on hills and when you enter new, lower posted speed limit zones, you will at some point speed. Which is, unless there is a very, very good reason, something we all do.

Already it’s not sounding simple, is it?

Bike
    zx12
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Is the female version of Mantrol something like...Cuntrol?
    She-troll?

Bike
    cbr600rr 04
    Now are you sure you didn’t speed over that entire journey? You may not have exceeded 100kph, but was 100kph the only posted speed limit you were subject to on that journey? Did you strictly adhere to any of the other speed limits you encountered on that journey? You didn’t at any point go from a 100kph zone to say a 70 or 50kph zone and not slow down to below that speed, before you passed that new speed limit sign? Or any other situation where you might have exceeded a lower speed limit without even noticing? I’m intrigued, any specific reason for not exceeding 100kph in this journey that you’re not telling me?
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...limits-ignored

I like this bit... havent seen it anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by police guidelines
    police guidelines prevented officers from enforcing speed limits within 250 metres of a speed limit drop –

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Yeah keeping speed down while cruising is not too hard but when have to pass a slow car/cars(you know the 80-90k codgers) then opening up a 1000 it's easy to exceed speed limit by heaps.

In the interests of road safety less time spent on wrong side of the road the better unfortunately doesn't wash with boys in blue.

Also beware that during holiday weekend like the one coming up the Police drop speed tolerance to 4ks.

Thread Information