Thread: Gn250 bobber / Newbie introduction

Bike
    gn250 83

Gn250 bobber / Newbie introduction

Hi all,

Names Quinton I am a student doing Engineering at Canterbury and came across this site when doing some looking into doing a bobber project.

Don't be hating the Gn250 bobber idea till I explain myself :P

I got given (for a box of beer) an 83 Gn250 the other day. It is a perfect runner.. Just needs a new battery and a slow tire leak fixed. (Should have new bits Tuesday)

I plan on stripping it down, painting it, single seat, chop bits here.. strut the rear end etc just for some practical experience working on a bike. I am only 20 and want to get a bit more hands on.

I plan on doing another (bigger bike) in time but for a basically free bike I thought I would have some fun over the summer ++ at the end of the day I should get what I spend on it back if/when I come to sell (although thats not what its about!)

There are some cool examples of what a Gn250 can become on youtube which gives me a little bit of hope that what I am doing isn't a complete waste of time. Search gn250 bobber.

Not much to see yet, will upload some photos of it before I start ripping it to pieces later on next week.

Bike
    Two wheeler
    All the best with that, good on you for doing something a bit different. And just remember, as long as it's safe, and you like it, it doesn't matter whether anyone else loves it or loathes it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Way to go guy ... the GN in its original form is ... has been much maligned ...

Do it how you want ... but keep it legal and safe. Ignore any knockers ... you will learn the spanner skills (among other skills) for the next project ...

Top tip ... do it right the first time ... no second best's ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinton Penniall View Post

I got given (for a box of beer) an 83 Gn250 the other day. It is a perfect runner.. Just needs a new battery and a slow tire leak fixed. (Should have new bits Tuesday)
    I wish my GN250 had only cost me a box of beer! How cool is that!
    I loved my GN250, it was such an awesome little bike that helped me build my confidence.
    I am pretty sure I have seen a GN bobber on trade me - and it was pretty cool.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Knock yer brains out mate... Awsome project. The essence of a bobber is taking a bike no one wants and turning it into something useful n cool. GN250? Why not.... Free? Hell yes... The recession bobber...

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingboatfish View Post
    Hi all,

Names Quinton I am a student doing Engineering at Canterbury and came across this site when doing some looking into doing a bobber project.

I plan on stripping it down, painting it, single seat, chop bits here.. strut the rear end etc just for some practical experience working on a bike. I am only 20 and want to get a bit more hands on.

I plan on doing another (bigger bike) in time but for a basically free bike I thought I would have some fun over the summer ++ at the end of the day I should get what I spend on it back if/when I come to sell (although thats not what its about!)

There are some cool examples of what a Gn250 can become on youtube which gives me a little bit of hope that what I am doing isn't a complete waste of time. Search gn250 bobber.

Not much to see yet, will upload some photos of it before I start ripping it to pieces later on next week.
    You and I may have talked by chance once. You should come around to my workshop and have a look, although the CU has a better workshop than I.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Welcome to the site man,
    Just make sure you do all the stuff to the book and legally so you dont get yourself in the crapper later on down the track,
    all the best, and im expecting photos! haha

Bike
    gn250 83
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    You and I may have talked by chance once. You should come around to my workshop and have a look, although the CU has a better workshop than I.
    Ha, I talk to a lot of people but don't remember talking to someone re bobber / someone also building one.

As for an update on the bike - Have started pulling it apart, will get it done to frame so it can be painted or powder-coated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	249342

Not much done yet but you can atleast get a look at the bike.

Cheers for all the comments guys. I defo will do it so it is safe! --> last summers project was a lexus v8 into a hilux surf + 4inch lift etc (which I wish I had helped more on... I owe my brother for that one) so atleast I have a someone who knows what they are doing around.

--> also the whole doing it right first time <--

I want to hardtail the bike... but doing that properly requires access to draw bender which I don't have... plus bending tube and making a frame accurate enough would be a challenge enough.

Therefore I am considering removing shocks and just making up some 10" struts or something similar. *opinions* - given no draw bender to work with...

Again cheers for the welcome. I will try to keep this updated (bit slow at the moment with exams ).

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    By the way, build threads should be posted here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/fo...ing-Motorbikes

It is a new category that was long overdue.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingboatfish View Post
    I want to hardtail the bike... but doing that properly requires access to draw bender which I don't have... plus bending tube and making a frame accurate enough would be a challenge enough.

Therefore I am considering removing shocks and just making up some 10" struts or something similar. *opinions* - given no draw bender to work with...

Again cheers for the welcome. I will try to keep this updated (bit slow at the moment with exams ).
    The other option is welding up the swingarm (where the bearings are/were) to the main chassis body. Extra (fancy ???) support brackets down low at the front of the swingarm may be required .... as that weld will get a hammering ...

Get a certified welder to do this as certification of the weld will be required for WOF.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    gn250 83

Gn250 bobber / Newbie introduction

Hi all,

Bike
    gn250 83
    This was originally in Hogs and other cruisers but turned into a build thread

As for an update on the bike - Have started pulling it apart, will get it done to frame so it can be painted or powder-coated.

Not much done yet but you can atleast get a look at the bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	249381

--> also the whole doing it right first time <--

Bike
    gn250 83
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...e-introduction

Have moved thread to the Modifying bikes thread.

---> Can this one be deleted? <--- if so who do I holla at?

Thread Information