Thread: Yamaha TDM 850/900

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue

Yamaha TDM 850/900

Anyone out there got one of these - have a friend who is thinking of getting one and need some feedback from current/ex owners.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    I was looking at one of them quite pricy and rare... in NZ.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    BSA A10
    I don't own one but did a 140km ride on one of them

Not overly powewrful so it was quite easy to ride with a decent amount low down to midrange,I thought the sitting up riding position would mean a lot of wind blast but even up to an indicated 180kmh it didn't get uncomfortable, brakes were good and it stop started and steered good enough for me to really like it

it was while ago so I don't remember much more, but it belonged to KBer Brochaus and he toured NZ on it while he was over here from Austria http://marcus.fhstudent.at/website/
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Oscar has one....I think.The later models run the 270 crank,same as the TRX.Seem like the ideal road bike to me.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Oscar has one....I think.The later models run the 270 crank,same as the TRX.Seem like the ideal road bike to me.
    yep - i closely looked at buying a mint one with no tank - fairings etc on trademe and building a stripped down naked from it.
    turned out the guy wanted stupid money for it.
    i'm with you motu, they would be a sweet road bike with all that crap removed...

sigh....
    Last edited by Badcat; 18th July 2005 at 09:26. Reason: typo schmypo
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500

amps and red baron

Quote Originally Posted by SP
    Anyone out there got one of these - have a friend who is thinking of getting one and need some feedback from current/ex owners.
    there's one at amps - too pricey though.
    anbd i think red baron still has one.

ken

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    I got a '93 TDM850 - it's a great road bike for an aging dirt rider, if you get my meaning. Nice seating position, grunty motor and neutral handling.

I really like it but I'm thinking of trading up to a V-Strom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TDM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	12709  

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    Never owned one. I was wondering what the difference between that and a TRX was. The TRX looks great, and the sound of that parallel twin is surprisingly nice. I'm surprised from the posts that they are pricey. How does the TRX compare?
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by zadok
    Never owned one. I was wondering what the difference between that and a TRX was. The TRX looks great, and the sound of that parallel twin is surprisingly nice. I'm surprised from the posts that they are pricey. How does the TRX compare?
    the trx is a ducati lookalike, trellis frame, 17" rims and sportbike ergos.
    sweet bike.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccolin/trx.html

the TDM is a big trailie/tourer - same motor but 19" front wheel and large tank fairing gubbins.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/tdm.html

both are cool - but in nz - there are very few tdms - possibly a reason for the high prices?
    k

Bike
    ..soon, soon..
    I've tried one (95? 850cc one) for about 10mins. With that limited experience I'd say comfy, torquey, bit slow handling and heavy-feeling (compared to say an Honda XR600 or most sports bikes).

If it lost about 30kgs and had it's steering sharpened up, it would be awesome!
    Slob by name, not by nature..

Bike
    LC4 SM
    Quote Originally Posted by SP
    I had a '95 TDM850 (in silver and yellow) and loved it. It had bags of torque and at sensible road speeds was comfy and great fun. I did find the chassis could have been stiffer when really pushing it, but for every day riding it was excellent and different.

Andy

Bike
    tedium
    Had a 97/98 TDM (the mark 2) and it was super. Most comfortable bike I've owned, very stable handling. Only time ground clearance and slow handling became a problem was on track days. Faster than sportsbikes I've owned on "real" roads (you know..the ones that are wet and have bumps and gravel on them).

Had a shot of the Mark 3 (the 900), felt a little lighter, quicker steering and more powerful but there wasn't enough difference to trade up.

Thread Information