Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Thinking about The Grand Challenge, what bike?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So Im hoping to do a decent run this weekend. 400 to 500 k on Saturday. I want to see what speed I can average when riding alone. Also see what does and dosent hurt.

Have found in the warmer weather that my leather pants are cooler than my textile ones. And that I get sore legs in my textile ones but not in the leathers. So thats easy.

I had to clean out the carbs for the first time in the 8k Ive had the bike, I think the idle circut of the primary carb was a bit blocked as when you rolled on power (all tyre ripping 32hp) it died then came back on. Now sorted.

Going to get and try some gel grips to help with vibration. Going to try to get some fishing weights to but inside the bar ends to help that as well.

Would really like to reduce the noise of the motor so thinking about wrapping some aircleaner foam around the pods.

Last thing im going to fit a different bike computer that scrolls through its screens as has a average speed indicator so it tells you if your above or below. Also will mount it higher to be easier for quick glances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Last thing im going to fit a different bike computer that scrolls through its screens as has a average speed indicator so it tells you if your above or below. Also will mount it higher to be easier for quick glances.
    But be wary of disturbing your night vision....I hate dash type lights at night

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    I can see it off my current dash lights. Wont be adding any to the dash. Agree that would be bad to have to much dash light.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Actually, that's a good point. I have a square of tape over my high beam indicator light. I can still see the glow of blue around the edges of the tape, but riding at night with high beam on for long periods, the blue light is terribly piercing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Actually, that's a good point. I have a square of tape over my high beam indicator light. I can still see the glow of blue around the edges of the tape, but riding at night with high beam on for long periods, the blue light is terribly piercing.
    My high beam light was blue once, its kinda aqua now.

Speaking of lights, did I say how much better mine is now Ive fitted relays?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Did my first "fast" night ride tonight. Headlight is great now but need more, thinking of some secondry leds for slower speed turns.

But I had 4 issues.

1, Hit gravel at 100kph. Not sign posted on a back road. Its was a short stretch but the bike got very sideways. I just rolled off the throttle and she came right.

2, Rabbit jumped out, bit of a shock as I missed it by an inch our so.

3, I somehow after indicating I turned the lights off a 60kph. Glad I got a bright park light!!

4, I was approching a T intersection and a car turned into my lane and came towards me. I missed him just.

After the last one I went home.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Some "riding lights" on each side angled out ... to see the the inside of the corners may help. They dont need to light up too far ahead ...

Un-signed gravel is the worst fear of riders on night rides ... look for warnings like cones/signs lying on the side of the road.

Ignore the rabbits .. they're pretty soft. Opossums on the other hand are quite solid ...

Switching lights off on a familar bike ... mmmmmm

Cars in your lane an night ... coming toward you ... a flash of high beam as soon as you see them, then get out of their way ...

Try an after midnight run .... doesn't need to be "high speed" ...

But welcome to the pleasures of the night ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Switching lights off on a familar bike ... mmmmmm
    Lol, I bumped it not turned it off. But yeah my fault.

Short ride but learned heaps.

I do think the "turning lights" area good idea, probably on a seperate circut from the main lights to be turned on when needed only.

Also the GPS is to distracting to leave on. Will only use it when needed.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Also keep an eye on the surface of the oncoming lane. If there's roadworks, you'll know the severity by observing the oncoming lane, as the cars have just been through it. Assuming it's across both lanes of course.

Wascally wabbits are soft, you'll get used to hitting them, but watch out for hares. You'll know it's one coz they're a whole lot bigger. I haven't hit one yet, but don't think I want to.

At times, riding at night is nice and relaxing. Other times, you wished it was day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Also keep an eye on the surface of the oncoming lane. If there's roadworks, you'll know the severity by observing the oncoming lane, as the cars have just been through it. Assuming it's across both lanes of course.
    It was where a side road had roadworks and i passed the end of it. Was a country road so no traffic or even catseyes.

Thread Information