Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Riders down all OK. Video (Dec 2011)

Bike
    CB750
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    No comment on the roads or riders but I did like the camera work.
    Maybe a little less of some of those special effects cross overs, really screws with ya eyes, makes me want to stop watching.

I,ve ridden that road wet too, farmers shit all over it, but if you ride to the conditions its fine.Sounds like a case of "I'll ride as fast as the bike in front".

But what do I know I wasnt there, but I do know how to ride to the conditions, and not copy the person in front.

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Good on the Rescue crew. Have just made a donation to the Helicopter guys since they also helped me out once too

https://www.rescue.org.nz/make-a-donation/

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    it does look pretty slick, but how on earth did so many riders go down? A bit more traction-awareness might have prevented the first domino in this one....

any more details forthcoming?
    What about your magical "wheels just fell out" bin on your freshly-painted viffer?

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    Repsol CBR250RR Trackbike
    Blog Entries
    Glad to know everyone is relatively okay!

My thoughts; it'd be interesting to find out the exact location of this section of road - I work for a company that works alongside the likes of Fulton Hogan etc. in seal repairs, and I noticed a few of the little white painted X's on the road, that indicate repair work planned on being carried out in the near future. If indeed the surface was sub-par, I'm hoping this accident will speed up any plans for such work (the site project manager legally has to take any incident / injury on the stretch of road into consideration with his resource plan), so the risk of another accident is reduced in the future.

But again, in any case, glad those involved are okay from the sounds of things.
    1990 CBR250RR - fully rebuilt and awesome!
    1999 CBR900RR - a work in progress...

Bike
    05' Zx6r
    Why do older bikers complain about ACC levies when shit like this happens

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    "drive to the conditions when they change reduce your speed" ahaha.. good that everyones ok or the ACC levies might go up even more.

Bike
    CB1000R
    Shame to hear of anybody coming off there bike for whatever reason it maybe, but it doesn't sound like it is an out of the blue piece bad piece of road as at least one person who has posted that was on the ride knew about it being shite.

So why was that information not passed to the group?

For 3 bikes to all go down together, it begs the question were they not keeping a safe riding distance especially considering road is wet?

Bike
    '95 Bandit 250
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else notice the Camera Man that came with Westpac Flight Crew?? Might have to be watching Rescue One for the next series me thinks....

Anyway, As for the Riders, I hope they all heal Fast and arent in too much pain. Bikes can be Replaced. We cant.
    The only stupid question is a question not asked!

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Gutting.

No whiney, hypocritical, pre-judgement from this end.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantman_ View Post
    Gutting.
    Yes. Let us together offer internet sympathy. The brotherhood of bikers has been through a traumatic experience.

If you are particularly nice to them, Grantman_, they might be your mates! They have big bikes so they are cool. You could be cool, too, particularly once you've got a few bins under your belt to talk about at pubs.

But first, the sympathy.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    Yes - crap road, lots of roads are crappy ..... but why did they crash? Why did 3 go down?
    It is always sad when some one drops their pride and joy. I watched that vid with interest, I have ridden with this group and may have even appeared on one of the videos. First thing that I thought was they must have been riding too close together. It is one of the FIRST things that is talked about on any group ride we organise for the learners.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Take one group ride, add a video camera for everyone to play up to and nine times out of ten you'll have the recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe a bit unfair there. This group regularly ride with a camera filming, there is little by way of ego (unless it is the bling/chrome/shine on the bikes). While it first crossed my mind that may have been a distraction, I dont think that really would have played a BIG part in what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    The ONLY viable excuse.
    ATTN NZ moyorcyclists!!! The roads in NZ are not all like black marzipan! There will be irregularities! There will be potholes, esp after rain! There will be pea shingle in places where it may not be glaringly obvious and /or signposted!
    If you are riding to the edge of your personal limits and a changing road surface causes you to crash, THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!
    To blame the road surface is quite frankly an embarrasment!
    Not to say I have no sympathy as of course we all make mistakes. Own up to them!
    Hope these guys are OK now.
    Cant say more than this. You have to ride with every sense engaged. That looked like a horrible bit of road to me, not only shiney, but wet to boot. Heaven only knows what went wrong, but I would venture to suggest it might be difficult to regain traction in those conditions if you were indeed riding at the limit of your ability. Finding the limit of your ability may well be the problem here, along with a bit of target fixation from the followers?

Quote Originally Posted by Warr View Post
    Good on the Rescue crew. Have just made a donation to the Helicopter guys since they also helped me out once too

https://www.rescue.org.nz/make-a-donation/
    Nice post! I also noticed the emergency crews working so hard. I might just have to do the same.

Ride safe you lot. We are merely skin and bones, no match for the obstacle we can encounter at speed.

Those injured will have lots of time to rethink what went wong. I hope they are recovering well and safely home with their families.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Regardless of road surface it's got me fucked how two bikes can crash on what looks like a straight section of road

edit: actually I'd like to see a shot from up the road preceeding the "crap road"

Were the two that went down the lead bikes or had others already been across that section of road?
    count again Kick, there's three.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    so unless you were there don't make a judgement.
    I wasn't there but with your video evidence can make a judgement.
    Take a look at how many riders are travelling too close together earlier on, there's a big part of the reason so many bikes went down.You can't keep a good eye on the road, to look for issues like irregular surfaces, when there's a bike ahead that needs attention too, simple as that.

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Yes. Let us together offer internet sympathy. The brotherhood of bikers has been through a traumatic experience.

If you are particularly nice to them, Grantman_, they might be your mates! They have big bikes so they are cool. You could be cool, too, particularly once you've got a few bins under your belt to talk about at pubs.

But first, the sympathy.
    What a laugh.

I'm not remotely attracted to cruisers. I couldn't care less about currying favour. Cool like them someday? Hah, oh boy... how wrong could you possibly be.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayden View Post
    Why do older bikers complain about ACC levies when shit like this happens
    a mate of mine would have consumed at least 100k in medical costs fixing him after his crash early this year, including chopper ride, makes a few hundie look cheap for a acc levy

Thread Information