Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Well, after me and Umopom were being riding Gods over the lamammoors (fav part this year) we were coming down into the paddocks when i missed/cocked up a corner where there was no run off but rather big rocky mounds of shit and tussock. Managed to ride over one, but the front dug into another one and spat me off and i landed on my head about three metres from where the bike landed. After ascertaing that my neck wasn't broken because it went crack, I flipped up my helmet only to notice that there was an awful lot of blood around. The internal sun visor which i had in the down position had come down and sliced a chunk off the end of my nose and then sliced another chunk off the side of my nostril. Got back on and found Umopom who started playing nurse when a 4x4 came along with a real Nurse in it who patched me up with steristrips, and we recruited her husband for next years DB. Lovely couple and a big thanks whoever you are

The lady said i should ride to Dunedin to get it looked at properly and get stitched but Umopom said that I had a lot of riding to get through first so off we went. It took me about an hour to become a riding god again.

The KLR didn't sustain any damage at all that couldn't be kicked back into shape.

Got home yesterday arvo and went to A&E, and after 5 hours they put in 3 stitches, told me the scars will be permanent and sent me home.

Great DB by the way, probarbly the best yet.
    Wear your Dusty Butt battle scars with pride Nige Great weekend BTW.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110

Thumbs up I salute Shrek

I've done several previous DB's and watched Shrek punt that whale around - I used to have one myself

Shrek - I salute you - I have similar bruises from the Off Limits Tussock Adventure - on that was riding my 'little' DR650
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    I know where you live

please note the offending cow shit in 1st pic, & well the next two
    Shit I forgot about that

Photo one granted a strategically placed poo jumped out and grabbed your front wheel.

Photo 2 & 3, cost of a BMW $24K, cost of new tyres $500.00, look on Shreks face when he hoped up "Priceless"
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoshoni View Post
    Have the incident on video no signs or cones to show that there was damage across the road.
    Look liked a ford except the shape didn't look natural looked to square like it had been dug up. The Fulton Hogan truck with the digger on the back was parked on road not far ahead not sure why they were there though......
    Given Faulties were not actually on site you may find it a bit fun to get them to accept liability. If they deny then try Ashburton District Council to find out if they were on site doing a job for them. PM me off line if necessary because I can help with contact names.

Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    if the work involved takes less than 10 minutes then no signage is required, BUT, We only ever do this when there is good visibility both ways, if not then some sort of warning at the apex of the nearest corners like a work vehicle with its beacon going or someone standing there. ......
    I've a 'little bit' of an understanding about CoPPTM and I don't agree with this. I don't agree that CoPTTM actually says this and further CoPTTM is a guideline, not a standard so there are no hard and fasts, though your local council may have provided some additional guidance to CoPTTM. In the end CoPTTM is about doing the job safely while maintaining appropriate efficiency of the network. If this means signage is required for a 2 minute job then so be it. This is something that is getting more than a little bit of attention in Chch at the moment given we have around 1000 TMP's a month to process vs pre-quake figures of around 150 TMP's a month.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Well, after me and Umopom were being riding Gods over the lamammoors (fav part this year) we were coming down into the paddocks when i missed/cocked up a corner where there was no run off but rather big rocky mounds of shit and tussock. Managed to ride over one, but the front dug into another one and spat me off and i landed on my head about three metres from where the bike landed. After ascertaing that my neck wasn't broken because it went crack,. . . .
    Yikes - don't want to be doing your neck in!!!
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Feel free to include thoughts on how to further improve along with the accolades - not that I will guarantee I can or will take all comments on board.

Cheers R

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Feel free to include thoughts on how to further improve along with the accolades - not that I will guarantee I can or will take all comments on board.

Cheers R
    sitting aroung the dinner table talk'n about reg... etc

all $$$ to be payed 1 month before start date or you loose ya spot

& I think you said every one pays for a meal,

great idea R,

coz it will stop the free loaders like we saw & thats not fair on you or the people putting it on

as normal a great weekend & great food
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Yep, top work Ryan & co! That was a great ride! Lots more fun offroad stuff than I expected actually, that Awakino challenge section just kept on giving

Just got started on my ride report, might be a few days before I get to the DB1K pics though:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857611

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    DRZ400
    I've a 'little bit' of an understanding about CoPPTM and I don't agree with this. I don't agree that CoPTTM actually says this and further CoPTTM is a guideline, not a standard so there are no hard and fasts, though your local council may have provided some additional guidance to CoPTTM. In the end CoPTTM is about doing the job safely while maintaining appropriate efficiency of the network. If this means signage is required for a 2 minute job then so be it. This is something that is getting more than a little bit of attention in Chch at the moment given we have around 1000 TMP's a month to process vs pre-quake figures of around 150 TMP's a month.

Cheers R[/QUOTE]

CooneyR is quite right here, any worksite that alters the carriageway from its normal condition, whether attended or not must provide advance warning to approaching traffic. Considering over 80% of accident at worksites occur when unattended it seems inexcusable to have no advance warning of such a hazard.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Adux View Post

Cheers R
    CooneyR is quite right here, any worksite that alters the carriageway from its normal condition, whether attended or not must provide advance warning to approaching traffic. Considering over 80% of accident at worksites occur when unattended it seems inexcusable to have no advance warning of such a hazard.[/QUOTE]

Can't remember if there was cones or not, but pretty sure there were none. I ended up going off road at the corner about 20 metres because the ditch was in my braking area. The Fulton Hogan guys were just sitting in their truck eating lunch with bemused looks on their faces. It makes me wonder how many incidents they saw considering I was near the back end of fifty odd riders. Wouldn't have taken much effort for them to just run over with some cones really.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    DR650 - Tiger 955

Thanks Ryan

Cheers R
    Happy with it just the way it is. Well done and thanks again. Highlight of the year!
    Made it all the way back to Auckland with my son without incidents. Very thankful for the Sargent seats on both DRs. Worth their weight in gold.
    See you next year (hope its on again!). Will put a few pics up in due course once they are sorted.
    Carpe Diem

Bike
    MT09, XT250

Thumbs up Still grinning like a Cheshire cat

It was my first DB1k and I loved it, every minute!

It didn't all go smoothly....with a few navigational errors on both days.

The second day was a biggie, my riding buddy's DRZ getting a puncture, pinched tubes etc....still we were able to carry on and I got to see the sun setting from the Omarama Saddle

Huge thanks to Mattsdakar and Greg (who we ran into in Omakau)....without the fuel and tube we wouldn't have been able to carry on.

We also found a tool tube end cap an tool bag near the serpentine section - if it is yours let me know and I can get it returned to you.

Great to meet more adv riders too and put faces to names.

The ride home (through the Rainbow Rd) was going well until the XT packed up 30km out of St Arnaud, so after two hours on the side of the road it was back to Picton on a recovery truck.....oh well.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE

Cheers R
    Um well now you mention it, a couple of light alterations could be handy, I see Woodman has managed to go around the water holes this time but it looks like he still hasnt mastered the corners yet

After seeing the pic of his nose (excuse the pun) and looking like he is on his way to a fancy dress party to play doctors and nurses do you think I am asking to much to straighten only all the corners for the KLR

I realise this might take a little effort but Woodman is running out of lives (he should meow) and he is not a bad stick really so I think we need to look after him
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Um well now you mention it, a couple of light alterations could be handy, I see Woodman has managed to go around the water holes this time but it looks like he still hasnt mastered the corners yet

After seeing the pic of his nose (excuse the pun) and looking like he is on his way to a fancy dress party to play doctors and nurses do you think I am asking to much to straighten only all the corners for the KLR

I realise this might take a little effort but Woodman is running out of lives (he should meow) and he is not a bad stick really so I think we need to look after him
    Been waiting for this ribbing to start I'll see if I can convince the Minister of Transport, Big G, to provide funding for a Woodman ADV ride route. No sharp corners and no water

Cheers R

Bike
    Ducatis,Ktms
    Quote Originally Posted by pouakai View Post
    Replying to my own post:
    I have the figures now. I did a ride out round the Waimak tonight riding lots of gravel at 90-100k, as much off road trail terrain (single track, river bed, sand and shingle) as I could find ridden at about 7/10ths, bike is 2009 450EXC with 4500Ks. Main tank went dry at 105km, reserve at 123.7km and took 8.8l to refill (spec says 9l).
    So 14.06 kpl or 7.11 l/100k or 21l for the Alexandra-omarama leg or (12l in the saddle bags !) - on the thirsty side, but I was having fun not nursing it.

See you Friday!
    P
    Total result for the weekend:
    102l / 1543km = 6.61 l/100km - Just a little better than fanging around the Waimak. The Lawence-Omarama leg did 19l in the end so the 24l jumbo tank was never under threat except for breaking the plumbing to one of the fuel taps !

P

Thread Information