Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Been waiting for this ribbing to start I'll see if I can convince the Minister of Transport, Big G, to provide funding for a Woodman ADV ride route. No sharp corners and no water

Cheers R
    can we add mud to the list
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by nic View Post
    It was my first DB1k and I loved it, every minute!
    ....We also found a tool tube end cap an tool bag near the serpentine section - if it is yours let me know and I can get it returned to you......
    You were looking good when we saw ya.
    Those Tool Tubes are great but need to use large Heavy Duty Zip Ties or large metal hose clamps around the whole tube to frame to keep them from flexing to destruction by the looks of it and the locking cap to keep the cap on by the sound of it.
    We saw the rest of the tube in a bin at the Old Moa Creek Pub.

No, it's not mine, my Mega Tool Tube is well mounted and locked in place, I didn't trust the flexiness of the plastic lugs alone so went a bit overboard on securing it.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    After seeing The Nose in person, I can safely say, ouch!

He was getting a new helmet. Without internal visor...

Bike
    R1150GS & R80GS Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    After seeing The Nose in person, I can safely say, ouch!

He was getting a new helmet. Without internal visor...
    Oh, it was the internal sun visor? For some reason I thought the beak on the helmet had folded in. That's interesting, I've not liked those visors for other reasons, but now there is a safety concern as well.
    R1150GS
    R80GS Basic

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Um well now you mention it, a couple of light alterations could be handy, I see Woodman has managed to go around the water holes this time but it looks like he still hasnt mastered the corners yet

After seeing the pic of his nose (excuse the pun) and looking like he is on his way to a fancy dress party to play doctors and nurses do you think I am asking to much to straighten only all the corners for the KLR

I realise this might take a little effort but Woodman is running out of lives (he should meow) and he is not a bad stick really so I think we need to look after him
    Thanks for your heartfelt concern, but I think if Ryan changed the entire course to suit KLRs then that would be cutting off his nose to spite his face don't you think?

The puddles up the Serpentine have some sort of weird tractor beam type influence on me and my bike. Twice they drew me in while I did everything to avoid them. Actually had to get off and pull the bike backwards out of them.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Thanks for your heartfelt concern, but I think if Ryan changed the entire course to suit KLRs then that would be cutting off his nose to spite his face don't you think?

The puddles up the Serpentine have some sort of weird tractor beam type influence on me and my bike. Twice they drew me in while I did everything to avoid them. Actually had to get off and pull the bike backwards out of them.
    Are I love the nose jokes.

"sort of weird tractor beam" are you calling your KLR a tractor?, I suppose it does look like a Fergy without a three point linkage.

Yes those ruts have a bad habit of drawing large chunks of metal into them, my DR650 has the same problem, although BMW's have a problem with cow poo!! so I dont feel so bad now
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    can we add mud to the list
    Only mud? what about cow poo "refer photo one again"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shrek.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	277102  
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    2012 660 Tenere
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Only mud? what about cow poo "refer photo one again"
    That could be next years T SHIRT
    Contact me for all your Suzuki DRZ400 And Dr650 bash plate needs. Made to order

Bike
    DR650, Valkyrie
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Feel free to include thoughts on how to further improve along with the accolades - not that I will guarantee I can or will take all comments on board.

Cheers R
    Its hard to improve on what I would call a perfect few days, thanks Ryan.

Last year I used a roll chart to navigate the course. The chart worked great but takes a fair bit of concentration compared to a GPS, which I used this year. The GPS made a huge difference to the dusty butt for me, basically by not having to worry about navigation I could concentrate on riding and enjoying the scenery. Am still a shit rider but saw more of the DB this year, without constantly being focused on the sheet and speedo!! and falling off!!

Look forward to another, wherever that may be.

PS, Hope the Lady fom the Oterahau service station comes good next year if by chance we find ourselves in that neck of the woods again.

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    We saw the rest of the tube in a bin at the Old Moa Creek Pub.
    That tube now here. PM sent to nic.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

Serpentine puddles got me as well i tried my upmost to avoid them thought i would skip up the bank to the right DR pannier frame fell on my right ankle when i went down and crack, a hair line crack in the bony bit that sticks out your ankle - BIG thanks to the Wellington boys that opened the gates for me and followed me out to the pub (sorry was in toooooo much pain forgot your name) - off to Clyde for X-rays just sprained they said so go away then two days later of pain i got a call to say the X-rays were re-examined and it was fractured.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Well, turns out giving the bike a good wash and going over after these rides paid off this time, tally so far - 1 bolt missing from exhaust mount up by the rear mudguard/carrier rack.
    Only just getting started with the wash though. Just seemed like a good excuse to have a break, come up stairs and post on the interweb.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Thumbs up Home, but a bit fatigued

Arrived Home last night, after 4600 kms for the trip was feeling slightly tired.

Another awesomme event, no Drama`s for me this year on the event with just a few bolts coming loose.
    Thanks again Ryan, Josh and Karl.

Thanks to Matt for the friday ride and Struan for his back up services for the DB ( pleased i didnt have a need for him this year ).

Had a brillant 10 days away with just 1 minor get off in the awakino, thanks to all my riding buddies

Maybe next year i might even get to ride my own bike.

Not many photo`s taken by Wade and i this year, we were too busy just getting there
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Amazing ride, thanks heaps Ryan and Co for the hard work.

Got my photos sorted, was trying to do more riding-less-photos this time, but still managed to take 300 odd photos, the best of them can be found here.

A couple of my fav's

Some pretty serious roadside repairs (broken shock mount - fixed by using a foot-peg bolt

One slightly wet BMW R80

Bike
    R1150GS & R80GS Basic
    Great photos Chris, it was hard to take bad ones, but these are much better than mine. Poor chap on the BMW, he had to drain the carbs later on, and I heard he also went for a little swim in one of the crossings.
    R1150GS
    R80GS Basic

Thread Information