Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest basic handling test + VTR250

Bike
    2008 Ninja 250R

Question Cheapest basic handling test + VTR250

Hey, I was just wondering if someone can tell me the cheapest place in Wellington to do the basic handling test? I was going to do it up in Auckland during the uni break but ran out of time. It seems all the places in Wellington that offer the test only charge $150+ where as it was going to cost me around $70 in Auckland. Only after the testing portion as I can already ride a bike well (lived on a farm until last year and regularly rode).

Also since I'm seeking my license, I'm looking at getting getting a 250 bike for riding to uni every day and for going on occasional rides. The Honda dealer back home has a 1997 VTR250 that they're reconditioning the motor. It's done about 60,000kms and has a few dents but that's not really an issue. At roughly $2500 would this be a worthwhile buy, or should I spend a little more on something not in a state of repair and a little less mileage?

Thanks in advance!

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    $70 sounds too cheap for a BHC. $150 isnt unusual.

The VTRs are fantastic little bikes, I had a 2000 model which I started on.
    Provided you like the bike. No point getting a bargain if the bike doesnt suit you.

Keep in mind they are reco-ing the motor, but bearings etc may be original (I had to replace the steering head bearings on my bike and it had less than 40km on the clock)
    Tbh though, for that money, 60kay isnt that much, Id be pretty happy if the bike is tidy.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Down here someone charging $150 for a BHS would get laughed out of town.

Yes the VTR is a pretty good bike, but define reconditioning, what exactly was wrong with it, how did it happen, and what exactly are they doing to repair it?
    2500 is probably on ok price, but if you have experience with bikes, wait till a little later this year and get a bigger bike under the new changes to the approved bikes list.

If you like the VTR, and are keen because of the low price, AND you are getting a warranty for the work the dealer is doing to the bike, then go for it.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    $70 is all you should pay for the test only. Quick search tells me people are getting ripped off in Wellington.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Is that the test you just hop on the scoot and dodge some cones? I paid 20 bucks for mine.. might have gone up to 40 or 50 here since then though

not a bad deal on the 250, by dealer prices anyway
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Is that the test you just hop on the scoot and dodge some cones? I paid 20 bucks for mine.. might have gone up to 40 or 50 here since then though

I did figures of 8 in a carpark, cost me nothing. It was many, many years ago though

To the OP...

The market dictates the price. If that is what it costs where you are, pay it, or wait till you are back in the shitty city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2008 Ninja 250R
    Yea exactly, I don't see how 30 minutes of riding around a car park warrants a $150 fee.

In regards to the VTR, they didn't really tell us much about it, only that they were reconditioning the motor because of low compression in the rear cylinder I think. I wouldn't say the bike is exactly tidy, but at this stage it seems the best for the price.
    As for getting a larger bike but waiting until later this year; I don't see the need for a bigger bike yet, considering I'm only learning and mainly commuting. I would rather grow out of something smaller and upgrade than learn to ride on the road on a bike too large for my skill level.

When I around testing out bikes at several dealers a few weeks ago I found the Honda VTR250, Hornet, and Kawasaki Ninja 250 the most comfortable. Hornet is probably out of the question mainly due to the price, so it's probably between the VTR250 and a Ninja.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Well in my day 3mins warranted 20bucks, so if you're getting more time, must be more money!

Hard to say with reconditioned motors, it all depends on how much reconditioning they do, and with how much skill it is done.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    there again you might not grow out of the vtr
    just because a bike is 250cc, does not mean that its automatically not fun.
    you might find that commuting it will be perfect, and then also touring at the speed limit,
    just as capable as a bigger bike but a whole heap cheaper to run.
    Anyways,
    $150, for a person to put his name on a paper that says you are , in his opinion, safe to be allowed on the road.
    Which means your not a Muppet and run into everything cause you know where the brake is
    That is why he is a registered training provider with associated costs..... 30 min $150 cheap.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    $70 is all you should pay for the test only. Quick search tells me people are getting ripped off in Wellington.
    Price isn't set by skill level. Yes someone may already be able to ride and fly through the test. However, there are others who are given that extra 'practice'. I know Andrew Templeton (Roadsafe) will repeat, repeat, repeat the exercise until he is confident that the op can do it. Then Andrew tells them the next loop is the real thing.

Cetainly better to spend more time practicing first and then passing first time than paying a cheap rate and failing, only to have to do it again.
    When Andrew sets the price, he has no idea of how many he will get or what skill level they will be at. Running a course costs and those costs have to be met. It's called running a business.

I know a number of people that have went through Roadsafe and have yet to meet someone that feels ripped off. One thing they do feel is confident to go out on the open road.

(And No, I have no connection with Andrew or Roadsafe - But I am prepared to give credit where credit it due).
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Price isn't set by skill level. Yes someone may already be able to ride and fly through the test. However, there are others who are given that extra 'practice'. I know Andrew Templeton (Roadsafe) will repeat, repeat, repeat the exercise until he is confident that the op can do it. Then Andrew tells them the next loop is the real thing.

Cetainly better to spend more time practicing first and then passing first time than paying a cheap rate and failing, only to have to do it again.
    When Andrew sets the price, he has no idea of how many he will get or what skill level they will be at. Running a course costs and those costs have to be met. It's called running a business.

I know a number of people that have went through Roadsafe and have yet to meet someone that feels ripped off. One thing they do feel is confident to go out on the open road.

(And No, I have no connection with Andrew or Roadsafe - But I am prepared to give credit where credit it due).
    Sorry no idea what you are on about. I did my test in Auckland with these guys http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...htbar=certnews

As you can see the test only is $80 (thought it was $70 woops) and $150 for the full training which I did. Don't see why Wellington should be any different.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

That's what I paid for my BHS too at the start of '05, back before Phil Turnbull fucked up

Good price on the VTR, but you'll want an itemised report of the work they've done so you can find what was wrong and why it was wrong.
    Unusual for a VTR motor to spit the dummy below 100,000k though, my guess is poor oil and failed cam chain tensioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Sorry no idea what you are on about. I did my test in Auckland with these guys http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...htbar=certnews

As you can see the test only is $80 (thought it was $70 woops) and $150 for the full training which I did. Don't see why Wellington should be any different.
    I paid the same in Auckland. Sure you can pay $80 odd for just the test, but if you are a complete bike noob, its not a good idea.
    I had pottered around on friends bikes and on a dirt bike before, but it had been years, so I went for the full training. Only took 30 mins for me to be comfortable whizzing around and doing the slalom and low speed run, but theres a good chance I would have failed the test without that practice.

Btw for a learner, regardless of the new allowances, I'd still go for a trusty little 250 like the VTR. Even if you upgrade within a few months, they are ideal bikes to learn to ride on.

Bike
    It might be worth giving one of the operators a ring and telling them you only want to sit the test and don't need any training to do so.

$2500 for a 1997 VTR with 60km doesn't sound too bad.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Cant remember exactly how much my test cost, I think it was around $120 and took 45mins. I got about 25-30 mins of training and practice.
    That was with Dan Ornsby in Chch, top bloke

Thread Information