Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ktm or gas gas?

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC
    Quote Originally Posted by noobi View Post
    What would you like to know about gasgas' ? I know a bit about them.

How tall are you? and how much do you weigh?

I ask as the KTM is a very tall bike, the gasgas is shorter.
    If you're slightly heavier or lighter than the 75kg both of the bikes are stock sprung for, then it will likely need suspension work to get the best out of it. So both bikes may need a fair bit of money spent on the suspension. Its not a necessity, but it will make the bike better.

The gasgas will turn inside the KTM too.
    The e start on both bikes is pretty average, its a bit more hit and miss on whether you get a good one from gasgas. It can be made to work excellently, but the design is still an afterthought on both bikes.
    The gasgas is heavier, especially the e start version.
    6'1" 120kg

Just what they are like compaired to the ktm, the only issue i have with the GG is it's poor resale value, have heard good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Sounds like you've decided you don't want a gasser so don't buy one. I'd take mine over any ktm I've ridden but it's your money.
    Not talking to me i hope.......
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    some honda bits in a kx chassis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    6'1" 120kg

Just what they are like compaired to the ktm, the only issue i have with the GG is it's poor resale value, have heard good things about them.

Not talking to me i hope.......
    I've had and maintained 2 gasgas', and 3 KTMs, for reference. Im also short and lightweight, 5' 7'', 70kg.

So on either bike you're going to want to at the least respring the suspension ~$500, at the most, revalve + respring ~$1000.
    Suspension is something quite a few people over look, and makes a greater difference than an exhaust or graphics.

The GasGas needs a bit more initial 'sorting' than the KTM does, but once that is done, it is just as reliable and resilient.
    The GasGas is a more neutral chassis than the KTM, after riding my KTM for ~9 months, I'm still not entirely happy with how the KTM chassis handles. More of a steer from the rear arrangement. The GasGas is point and go, lots of people describe it as 'oversteery', not true, their previous bike was just slow steering.
    Both of the engines are pretty much bullet proof, 100 hours on a top end easily. Run a clean airfilter, good oil, and enjoy not having to check valves.
    The GasGas engine is over engineered, in that it has massive cooling jackets and heavy cases. Therefore, it is a heavier bike, not even going to attempt to get around that one.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

F5Dave is probably referring to the fact that most people dismiss GasGas because they have never seen/heard/ridden one of them and buy a KTM because all their mates have one. I think your comment about the GasGas being rightly cheaper prompted that comment.
    we may just go where no ones been

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC
    Cheers Noobi,
    I know if i buy the ktm for 9k, in two years time +60-80 hrs say it gonna be worth 7k give or take, the gg at say 8k in the same time maybe 4 - 4.5....
    I base that on my perseption of the gg resale over the past 15yrs i've been dirt riding. Not saying there is anything wrong with them. Same could be said for ktm's 15year ago....

I like the look of both bikes, and your comments on the gg's engine, if the price is right one could be in my shed soon.

Oh yeah, when u weight 120kg a slightly heavier bike don't make a lot of differance!

Consider myself a fast trailrider, done the racing thing and only interested in the fun side if riding these days.
    Going away, busy?

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Ok so why not the Husky WR300?

Bike
    SXF250
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    Ok so why not the Husky WR300?
    No e-start, no ongoing confirmed support in NZ going into 2014 ( Something like confirmed to april but not confirmed past there ).

If you're going there, be better to go YZ250 with a flywheel is my take, which to be fair is what I'd suggest anyway, lighter, better support ( ok ktm support is pretty damn good, but yamaha is better ), spare parts for africa ( been the same bike for god knows how many years ) the only real -ve is the plastic design is looking kinda old now.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by takitimu View Post
    No e-start, no ongoing confirmed support in NZ going into 2014 ( Something like confirmed to april but not confirmed past there ).

If you're going there, be better to go YZ250 with a flywheel is my take, which to be fair is what I'd suggest anyway, lighter, better support ( ok ktm support is pretty damn good, but yamaha is better ), spare parts for africa ( been the same bike for god knows how many years ) the only real -ve is the plastic design is looking kinda old now.
    I wasn't, just curious on what the thoughts on them were.

On a side note why is no one, other that ktm, looking at a smaller sized bike i.e. freeride?

Bike
    SXF250

On a side note why is no one, other that ktm, looking at a smaller sized bike i.e. freeride?
    Wr300, it's not a bad bike, but for Euro ktm/gasser better and for kick only yz better, that's my take anyway, i prefer 4/ though

I am with you, it's odd that more smaller performance bikes don't exist, maybe the emergence of more women riders will help, but you do get the feeling the Japanese are giving ktm alot of rope, maybe hoping that ktm will expose market segments they can exploit.

Bike
    Freeride 250, BETA XT300

I am, it's bloody awesome. 250R. Best bike I've ridden in the trees hands down.

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Talking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131227_140547-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	291593

Went with a 2012 KTM300XC. 37hrs

As usual, once the new bike bug bit i was in a hurry to get one. Only 1 gasser around and was a little rough for the price being asked.

First ride 2moro so hoping the worst of rain holds off.

Cheers.
    Going away, busy?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by takitimu View Post
    Wr300, it's not a bad bike, but for Euro ktm/gasser better and for kick only yz better, that's my take anyway, i prefer 4/ though

I am with you, it's odd that more smaller performance bikes don't exist, maybe the emergence of more women riders will help, but you do get the feeling the Japanese are giving ktm alot of rope, maybe hoping that ktm will expose market segments they can exploit.
    Ossa & Sherco make trail bikes. Good un's too. GG used to do the Pampera.

Wid a bit of luck as the market niche grows we will get the 21st century equivalent of KMX, DT, RMX, CRM etc. Or more road legal / trail bikes evolved from trials bikes.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information