Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 October 2012 new era for motorcycling

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Its good old 650 British bikes are included as you can learn to become a mechanic at the same time......probably a 80/20 split between fixing and riding.
    My lams 83 BMW 650 is a real hoot to ride.....as is my lams 78 Yamaha 200 skootah....bugger the rego is so high on them.
    Will the rego label have indication of its learner status?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Hi Tricia

I couldn't find how to do this, and the NZTA told me that they don't have a procedure for this unless you are a motorcycle manufacturer.

Id love to be proven wrong, so please do post a link or tell me who to talk to in the NZTA.

So far LAMs has proven to be just more evidence of the inability of the NZTA to get simple things right. Lovely learner bikes like the NC700 cant get on the list as the NZTA could not resist putting a cc limit in, even though best international practice is to limit size weight and power.

Things are undoubtedly better than they were, but as usual, NZ gets a cock up, and a poor effort from NZTA.
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett....html#applying

It is probably a drawn out and complicated process, but it can be done...

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    On an XS1100, that happens just taking it off the side stand Trev. Let alone getting it into gear....

To the OP
    For a person on a learners or a restricted license right now, and over the age of 25.
    Do the current rules apply for their license restrictions after Oct 1st?
    Specifically the time reductions for age, IE, over 25 years of age , restricted period only 6 mths till applying for full.
    I am now on my restricted, and can apply for full in Feb next year under the current system , or Aug next year under the new......
    Interested in you professional comment as a license training facilitator.
    I came here to ask this exact question. I can't find anything about it on the NZTA website. Hopefully the changes don't apply. Anyone who is in the same situation, and ready to get their Full on October 2nd, will be mighty unhappy...

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GN250
    Just wanted to say thanks for the replies re learner bikes. It is awesome to get all these thoughts and opinions.
    PhD Student and Photographer
    Participate in Research - See my photography - Blog

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Fair enough, I'm not trying to debate that. The technicalities of enforcing such a rule are very difficult though. The police don't have the time, nor the skills to check the vehicles of learner or restricted license holders to ensure they don't have any illegal modifications if the modifications are well hidden.

A turbo fitted to an otherwise NA car is obvious just by looking at it, but if a vehicle has an aftermarket ECU, cams, pistons, or other modifications that are not obvious upon a brief visual inspection, then how is it meant to be enforced? Should routine traffic stops involve stripping the engine down to inspect it?
    I'd assume that the police could find a way to enforce whatever they want to. Suspicion is usually enough to get a vehicle impounded & checked over, often @ your expense. Most boi racers have the loud exhaust, turbo'd or otherwise modified car & usually a crap attitude. That should be enough to alert the po lice

All I'm saying is that if it is good enough for the learner/restricted riders to be subject to these restrictions then it is good enough to have all the learners regardless of wether they are a car or motorcycle learner be subject to the same restrictions. Fairly simple I would have thought.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, I'm not trying to debate that. The technicalities of enforcing such a rule are very difficult though. The police don't have the time, nor the skills to check the vehicles of learner or restricted license holders to ensure they don't have any illegal modifications if the modifications are well hidden.

A turbo fitted to an otherwise NA car is obvious just by looking at it, but if a vehicle has an aftermarket ECU, cams, pistons, or other modifications that are not obvious upon a brief visual inspection, then how is it meant to be enforced? Should routine traffic stops involve stripping the engine down to inspect it?
    A lot of cops ride bikes ... and the GN250 that gets clocked at 210 km's on the Southern motorway, is likely to be modified ... and "on suspicion of ... " the proud owner may risk the inpounding of, and checking of (at owners expence no doubt) .... along with a speeding fine and licence loss, plus one of riding a motorcycle for which the appropriate class of licence is not held (if it is found to be modified)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    XT660r
    I bet all the bike shops will have there 20 year old ZXR, CBR, GSXR and FZR 250's out the front and have there sale signs out.....

No more getting $5000 to $6000 for them any more, Might make a whole heap more 250 Minilite race bikes available as they will actualy be proper price, and crashed ones can end up bucket racers
    Dale Kerrigan: If there's anything Dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Unfortunately I just don't see young people getting into bikes. A few of course but it just ain't happening anymore as they are expensive to buy, expensive to run and you can fit all your yobbo mates or slapper chicks in to a high performance $8k used jappa car.

A sad state of affairs. Maybe when petrol hits $3 more scooters etc will hit the roads.
    Nah Allan, I don't buy that. The situation hasn't changed that much to 10 or so years ago when i got my first bike. Bikes were expensive then, jappa cars were cheap. Had all the same gear/mate carrying issues. There will always be those of us that crave bikes. I do not use m'bikes for general day-to day use, just not practical for my everyday use...but i still look forward to those days when I can scoot around on a bike. The reality is that most bike riders will have a car as well...how else do you get broken bikes home from trackdays
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    sold!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Same as our LAM's ... if it's on the list, and NOT modified ... they're free to carry on. If its not on the list OR modified ... it will be impounded/parked up (depending on a attitude pass) if a licenced (sober) driver cannot be found.
    In NSW the registration sticker states whether or not the bike is LAMS or not. If you're on your L-Plates or P-Plates rding an unrestricted bike that's not LAMS approved you're in trouble and in for some big fines. The pre-leaners BSH course in NSW covers 2 days and is really heavy on rider safety. I suppose the same will now apply here too. BTW. the new LAMS approved (Aussie) Ducati Monster 659 is here, but not on the LAMS list yet. But then, who has $17,495 to spend on a "learner" bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducati Monstar 659 (0).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	269364  
    Never Take Life Seriously - Nobody Gets Out Alive Anyway!

Bike
    2013, KTM, Duke 690
    Quote Originally Posted by PeloNZ View Post
    I came here to ask this exact question. I can't find anything about it on the NZTA website. Hopefully the changes don't apply. Anyone who is in the same situation, and ready to get their Full on October 2nd, will be mighty unhappy...
    Check out the newest page on the time reductions here - http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/time.html

basically - and i quote
    " Age based time reduction

From 1 October 2012, all motorcycle riders regardless of age will have the same minimum time requirement of 18 months in the restricted licence phase.

This will give all riders more time to gain on-road riding experience under restricted licence conditions."

"Exemptions

If you completed an approved advanced driving course (Street Talk or Defensive Driving Course) before 1 October 2012, you may be eligible for an exemption to reduce the time you spend in the restricted licence phase to less than 18 months. See the DL4 exemption form for further information."

The latest info I have from NZTA is that "sometime' next year there will be a competency based training and assessment course (CBTA) that we will hopefully be approved to run and you will be able to do. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/cbta.html

Basically 2 parts

Part 1 at learner stage will allow you to get to restricted before 6 months is up if you pass
    Part 2 at restricted phase will allow you get your full after 12 months ( regardless of age - see above changes from oct 1) rather than 18 months.

hope that helps
    D
    2 Drive Safe Rider Training

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Although we have done some preliminary work on the CBTA, it is still very much in the early stages. with the New Restricted Car licence test, and the new Basic Handling test preparations taking up the majority of our meeting times, we haven't had too much time to work on CBTA.
    I didn't think that the 18 month requirement for Restricted bike licences would come in until we had the new CBTA up and running, at least that was the original plan. I knew that the DDC course wouldn't be a suitable time reducer.

As regards getting an exemption to reduce your time, if you hold a ddc certificate issued before 1st October, I expect that the same conditions apply. You have held the licence long enough, when the exemption request has been made, and secondly, that you haven't had any fines, speeding tickets, demerit points etc. Basically, you haven't been stopped by police..

Next on the to do list, should be to plan the CBTA, as I said, some work has already been done, and it is looking good..

Tricia
    021 269 3246
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by 2DriveSafe View Post
    Check out the newest page on the time reductions here - http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/time.html

basically - and i quote
    " Age based time reduction

From 1 October 2012, all motorcycle riders regardless of age will have the same minimum time requirement of 18 months in the restricted licence phase.

This will give all riders more time to gain on-road riding experience under restricted licence conditions."

"Exemptions

If you completed an approved advanced driving course (Street Talk or Defensive Driving Course) before 1 October 2012, you may be eligible for an exemption to reduce the time you spend in the restricted licence phase to less than 18 months. See the DL4 exemption form for further information."

The latest info I have from NZTA is that "sometime' next year there will be a competency based training and assessment course (CBTA) that we will hopefully be approved to run and you will be able to do. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/cbta.html

Basically 2 parts

Part 1 at learner stage will allow you to get to restricted before 6 months is up if you pass
    Part 2 at restricted phase will allow you get your full after 12 months ( regardless of age - see above changes from oct 1) rather than 18 months.

hope that helps
    D
    2 Drive Safe Rider Training
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1000 View Post
    and secondly, that you haven't had any fines, speeding tickets, demerit points etc. Basically, you haven't been stopped by police..

Tricia
    021 269 3246
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    for clarification , is this for the time inside your learners/restricted , or is all historical ticketing taken into account.

I have not been issued an infringement notice in over 2 years, so is it worth applying for the exemption.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Not 100% sure about that one. It would be worth the 27.20 to send the exemption form in. But you also need to have a DDc certificate issued prior to 1st October this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    for clarification , is this for the time inside your learners/restricted , or is all historical ticketing taken into account.

I have not been issued an infringement notice in over 2 years, so is it worth applying for the exemption.
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    1000cc sports bikes are for n00bs, all learners should start on either a Hayabusa or ZX14.

And when they get REALLY experienced and become a skilful rider they can graduate to a Harley...

But a 250-350 twin is any amount for somebody who has zero riding experience.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    but if a vehicle has an aftermarket ECU, cams, pistons, or other modifications that are not obvious upon a brief visual inspection, then how is it meant to be enforced? Should routine traffic stops involve stripping the engine down to inspect it?
    Veru slim chance of this happening, no doubt somebody with more mouth than brain will talk themselves into having a closer inspection of their ride...

And any decent cam makes for a 'funny' idle.

But not all cops are petrol-heads, so if it's your luck day...????
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information