Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 18 months on your Restricted no matter your age and Basic Handling from 1 November

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I think we are all on the same page... you just have a really bad way of expressing it man!
    Jeez, stop saying we all think we're Rossi, not all bikers are like that and it's no wonder you get into arguments! I think it'd almost be fair to say you thought you were Rossi (or whoever was top dog) when you were younger, just don't put all riders in that same box, some of us try to be a bit more sensible than that.
    You are not to be used as an example huh? So stop using us as examples of little pricks that want a big bike as soon as they are allowed one!!?? You got the wrong end of the stick and off you went! lol I'm sure there are people like that on here but I am sure not one of them and I'd like to think they are the minority here too.

Not discussing this further as it's stupid.
    Sadly Twitch, I have to agree with Drew, sadly because he is about right in what he says. Lets be pedantically honest. Bikes have evolved over the last 30 years from being transport (UJM) to weekend toys. I would say from just pure observation on the number of bikes on the road commuting Vs weekend warriors, that 70% of so called 'bikers' are just that 'weekend warriors'. Sunday morning, get out the 'ooooh look did 3000 km's last year, crotch rocket', don the one piece leathers and put on the alter ego (rossi paint job helmet) and lookitme, Im a biker! Then proceed to ride like a fucknut over the Taka's (over taking on blind corners, thrashing past a line of cars, and slam the brakes on, force themselves back into the traffic to avoid hitting the oncoming vehicle, scrape the pegs round a blind bend at speeds they wouldnt even have time to 'THINK' about applying the brakes in the event of an obstruction... etc, etc) So 18 months is too long? Nope, disagree totally. If you really looked at the times people actually ride a bike, again from observation, 90% are NOT riding in shit weather conditions. Fuck I know plenty who wont even ride in the wet/rain unless it catches them, out on the road. There are quite a few on here who do 20,000+km a year, but if you compared them against the number who do less than 10k a year? We are a small fraction. All I have to do is ride to Martinboro' in the height of summer, and again in the height of winter.... and I'll bet there is less than 20% of the summer bike numbers there in winter. When the number of 'UJM' style bikes or sport tourers outweigh the number of 'crotch rocket' toys on the road?? Then I MAY agree 18 months 'could' be too long..... and I just saw a porcine glide across my vision
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdave View Post

You need to stop making all this personal its what gets peoples heckles up. MY training has been more than sufficient. The INDUSTRY training...what can I say? Your next battle to take up with the LTSA maybe? Like I said earlier there are heaps of shitarse cowboy truckers and that fucks me off.
    Wasn't directing my comments at you directly. It was a generalisation. I am no encouraged, that a truck driver is saying it's too easy for truck drivers to get out on the roads.

Untill now, I'd assumed that there was quite a bit of training required.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferdave View Post
    Good riders see potential situations and react accordingly for preventative measures. Any good DDC will teach that. Again it goes back to you and me agreeing that its not a time thing is driver training. The minority get it the majority don't, hence they not only find themself in a sticky situation but then turn to jelly coz they have no idea how to react or they react totally wrong. Game Over.

All in all dude so you can sleep easy and we can end on a happy good note please try to understand this. I don't think I'm the best driver/rider in the world. I am always open for more training etc as I have the philosophy I can always get better. I DO have over 20 years of driving/riding experience and 18 years heavy vehicle. I've driven in the worst conditions you can imagine and would consider myself a competant and safe driver. To sum up: you're preaching to the choir!

Peace
    I haven't observed you, I just lumped you in with the majority. Odds were I wasn't gonna be wrong.

So, if everyone here is in agreement that rider training is the answer to lower the road toll, and there was an open government forum not long ago asking for input as to how to do just that, why the fuck did the letter I got back say, "thanks for your ideas, we're ignoring them"?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    You keep this up, and people might mistake you for katman
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    I was just takin the piss out of Drew mate. I actually agree with pretty much everything you say with regards to rider safety and taking responsibility and all of that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Sadly Twitch, I have to agree with Drew, sadly because he is about right in what he says. Lets be pedantically honest. Bikes have evolved over the last 30 years from being transport (UJM) to weekend toys. I would say from just pure observation on the number of bikes on the road commuting Vs weekend warriors, that 70% of so called 'bikers' are just that 'weekend warriors'. Sunday morning, get out the 'ooooh look did 3000 km's last year, crotch rocket', don the one piece leathers and put on the alter ego (rossi paint job helmet) and lookitme, Im a biker! Then proceed to ride like a fucknut over the Taka's (over taking on blind corners, thrashing past a line of cars, and slam the brakes on, force themselves back into the traffic to avoid hitting the oncoming vehicle, scrape the pegs round a blind bend at speeds they wouldnt even have time to 'THINK' about applying the brakes in the event of an obstruction... etc, etc) So 18 months is too long? Nope, disagree totally. If you really looked at the times people actually ride a bike, again from observation, 90% are NOT riding in shit weather conditions. Fuck I know plenty who wont even ride in the wet/rain unless it catches them, out on the road. There are quite a few on here who do 20,000+km a year, but if you compared them against the number who do less than 10k a year? We are a small fraction. All I have to do is ride to Martinboro' in the height of summer, and again in the height of winter.... and I'll bet there is less than 20% of the summer bike numbers there in winter. When the number of 'UJM' style bikes or sport tourers outweigh the number of 'crotch rocket' toys on the road?? Then I MAY agree 18 months 'could' be too long..... and I just saw a porcine glide across my vision
    I totally agree with you, I started riding back in March, and it's my only form of transport. I've probably put on 8-10k KMS in the last 7 months in just about every condition possible. I don't think that you'll be able to fix the problem you describe through law changes, however, unless you somehow make it compulsory they attend X amount of training like they do for cars.

This thread alone has a few people who couldn't be bothered with the licensing system when it was 9 months to a year to complete. How many people do you think will ignore the system now that it's 2 years and the tests are much stricter?

The problem you have Greywolf is with the type of people picking up riding now. The "rossi wannabes" as you put it. I don't think there's anyway you can stop them through laws from doing what they're going to do. If johnny wannabes life goal is to own an R6, he's going to own an R6. Even if he does wait the 2 years, do you think the new 2 year limit is going to force him to ride in shit weather? To get rider training? To do lots of Ks on a bike he doesn't want? I've known quite a lot of people who got their L, didn't ride for 6 months, practiced on a friends bike for a week, took the R, then rinsed and repeated for the full. 18 months to 2 years on their Ls and Rs isn't going to change that. Just increases their chance of failing the tests, which is a good thing I reckon. But unless you making the R and Full tests very difficult, you're still going to have muppets on the road on bikes they have no business on.

Assuming they go for a license at all.

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Sadly Twitch, I have to agree with Drew, sadly because he is about right in what he says. Lets be pedantically honest. Bikes have evolved over the last 30 years from being transport (UJM) to weekend toys.
    Greywolf Bikes 30yrs back and beyond were only weekend toys also. Very few ever rode to work or even toured on them. Makes me wonder why so many older persons are calling themselves returned bikers. Wellington bikies (gangs) only came out to play Friday and Saturday nights. That was more to just line up the machines along a street and to intimidate shoppers, plus make a lot of noise at the stop lights down Mannering street.

For the 18month job 'learners' it still makes no sence that persons can ride around on smaller bikes for 18 months barley clocking up 3000 k's over that period then allowed to be let loose on a seriously more powerful bike. So many come to grief . It's almost as if a log book system should be in place and untill you have at least 10,000 k's logged then sorry you cannot obtain your full. Gezz that will make some on this site fizz up a mite.

For some it can take many years to be proficent on a bike all atribtated to the number of k's per year they ride .

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

So, if everyone here is in agreement that rider training is the answer to lower the road toll, and there was an open government forum not long ago asking for input as to how to do just that, why the fuck did the letter I got back say, "thanks for your ideas, we're ignoring them"?
    No Drew I am not in agreement that rider training is the 'answer' to lowering the road toll but it may help...I fully support defensive driving courses.

Always thought they were not needed (driving courses) untill the company I worked for years back made all drivers attend. Out thoughts were what a waste of time. Apart from enjoying the day back in class having our heads played with, we all actually learned something.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    Greywolf Bikes 30yrs back and beyond were only weekend toys also. Very few ever rode to work or even toured on them. Makes me wonder why so many older persons are calling themselves returned bikers. Wellington bikies (gangs) only came out to play Friday and Saturday nights. That was more to just line up the machines along a street and to intimidate shoppers, plus make a lot of noise at the stop lights down Mannering street.

For the 18month job 'learners' it still makes no sence that persons can ride around on smaller bikes for 18 months barley clocking up 3000 k's over that period then allowed to be let loose on a seriously more powerful bike. So many come to grief . It's almost as if a log book system should be in place and untill you have at least 10,000 k's logged then sorry you cannot obtain your full. Gezz that will make some on this site fizz up a mite.

For some it can take many years to be proficent on a bike all atribtated to the number of k's per year they ride .
    I agree with most of what you say Duck, I know and admit I was a 'fucknut' in the 70's... Kwaka 250 S1 (not a KH), L plates, and rode it out the bike shop door. I'll admit to being 'lucky' a few times and to a couple of bikes gathering a 'few' war wounds during the learning process. Now I do not know aboyt NZ 30-40 yrs ago, but Bikes and sidecars were a very often used cheap transport in the 50's/60's (UK). Even when I started in the 70's there were still a lot of 'old fuckers' riding Brit iron on the road. So I do base my views from this. I used to with a few mates frequently on long weekends thrash across Europe to Spain etc and back again in a 5 day period. Maybe because of traffic levels especially in London there were/are? a lot of motorcyclists. I absolutely agree on a 'log book' in fact what I would love to see is the 'stepped licence' system in place. An R6 as I have commented to death is FASTER than the original masterblaster Z1 by a considerable margin, and they with 80+bhp were considered INSANE in the 1970's. I think the inevitable is written on the wall via the crap going on in Europe, there will be enforced power/weight restrictions and power limits placed on bikes soon. You wont stop the idiots riding an R6, but I hope that having to wait for 2 years, may just allow for changes in circumstances of life. I did 20,000 miles in a year on an RD250E-dx back then, and man that was interesting as an experience. The good thing about todays bikes IS the improved technology, I would LOVE to see some of the rossiwannabe's riding in the same fashion on my old Kwaka H1A 500..... now that would be priceless to watch on the Taka's. Only a measly 60 odd BHP, hehehehe!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Second this question. I'll be on my R next week. Does this mean I'll be able to take my full in December as I'm over 25 with a DDC, or am I stuck with the full restricted period? Is the cutoff those who get their R plates AFTER October first, or apply to ANYONE on an R plate?
    I have my restricted this week, I take it you cant book any longer than 3 months in advance for you full licence? I wasn't in any rush to get tested as I am quite happy on my bike, but this is excessive. I didnt realise the DDC took over a week to complete. Does anyone know a 3rd party that could provide a cert and I complete the course after October 1st ...that was a joke...but seriously if you do msg me!

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    I have literally just got my R licence, so I gave AA a call and basically if you are on your R licence put in an application for your Full now. I haven't done a DDC, but as I have applied before 1st October I come under the old regs, which means my application will remain pending until I book my test date, which can be in 6 month time. Really happy with that outcome, its not something they have really advertised but it's a little loophole R licence holders can take advantage of.

Bike
    '95 Bandit 250
    Quote Originally Posted by richie-nz View Post
    I have literally just got my R licence, so I gave AA a call and basically if you are on your R licence put in an application for your Full now. I haven't done a DDC, but as I have applied before 1st October I come under the old regs, which means my application will remain pending until I book my test date, which can be in 6 month time. Really happy with that outcome, its not something they have really advertised but it's a little loophole R licence holders who who are over 25 can take advantage of.
    Fixed. And graywolf, youre speaking the truth. respect

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1000 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    You may have heard by now that ALL RESTRICTED LICENCE HOLDERS, from the 1st October, regardless of age, will now spend 18 months on their Restricted Licence. You will no longer be allowed to use the DDC or Street talk to shorten your time on Restricted Licence.
    New Basic Handling starting on November 1st.
    Lams starting on October 1st.
    Tricia
    RoADA (Dip)
    Teaching Classes 1 and 6
    consultant to NZTA
    I was told, when I was rung up to confirm my street talk course (am doing it anyway as I need my full car license for work) that the government was replacing the Street Talk course with another advance motorcycling course that was more suited to motorcyclists and they could use that to shorten their time!
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Yep, that is true. But we haven't developed it yet. We have only just brushed the initial stages of this. It is called CBTA (Competency Based Training and Assessment), It is due to be implemented towards the end of 2013.

Tricia1000
    RoADA(Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA

Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    I was told, when I was rung up to confirm my street talk course (am doing it anyway as I need my full car license for work) that the government was replacing the Street Talk course with another advance motorcycling course that was more suited to motorcyclists and they could use that to shorten their time!
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    If you completed an approved advanced driving course (Street Talk or Defensive Driving Course) before 1 October 2012, you may be eligible for an exemption to reduce the time you spend in the restricted licence phase to less than 18 months. See the DL4 exemption form for further information.

Read this and know what there is to know.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...cles/time.html
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information