Thread: NZ restricted bike license in the UK

Bike
    2000 vtr250

NZ restricted bike license in the UK

HI there, anyone know what a nz restricted bike license is worth in the UK, I realise I should have got my full license

thanks

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by retep130 View Post
    HI there, anyone know what a nz restricted bike license is worth in the UK, I realise I should have got my full license

thanks

Its fine to use an NZ licence in the UK if you are a tourist. If you are moving there you should convert to a UK licence.

You are using your NZ licence, so the terms and conditions of your NZ licence apply.

This is why Germans can come to NZ and rent and drive campervans that are larger than a kiwi could drive on a car licence. They have a more generous weight restriction than the NZ licence, so its legal for them to drive a heavier vehicle.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    A blue one
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Its fine to use an NZ licence in the UK if you are a tourist. If you are moving there you should convert to a UK licence.

You are using your NZ licence, so the terms and conditions of your NZ licence apply.

This is why Germans can come to NZ and rent and drive campervans that are larger than a kiwi could drive on a car licence. They have a more generous weight restriction than the NZ licence, so its legal for them to drive a heavier vehicle.
    The holder of a full Class 1 licence can drive:
    •a vehicle that has a gross laden weight (GLW) or gross combined weight (GCW) of not more than 6000kg (this includes tractors and combination vehicles, but does not include motorcycles)

no they don't have a generous weight limit.. Rentals have to comform to NZ rules.. you you Joe blogs can drive one..

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    The holder of a full Class 1 licence can drive:
    •a vehicle that has a gross laden weight (GLW) or gross combined weight (GCW) of not more than 6000kg (this includes tractors and combination vehicles, but does not include motorcycles) no they don't have a generous weight limit.. Rentals have to comform to NZ rules.. you you Joe blogs can drive one..
    You are quite correct that kiwis may drive up to 6000kg on a car licence.

But we are signatories to The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968. So your tourist must obey local traffic rules, but he is bound by the conditions of his licence. This may be to your advantage or disadvantage depending on where you travel to.

Note that learner licences are not covered by the convention, so th OP may be well advised to see where restricted licences fall !

With camper vans, a C1 licence allows an EU& resident to drive up to 7500kg, and for most older drivers the introduction of the new EU system put them all onto C1 licences.

Younger drivers will be in the new system so actually have a lower weight limit !

There is no NZ equivalent, with our class 1 allowing 6000kg and class 2 allowing up to 18000kg.

I suppose you could argue that a class 2 is the equivalent of a c1... in which case we are the ones with the generous limits !
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    BLACKbird

thanks
    You should be ok within the terms of your driving licence restrictions but if your licence falls between two UK categories, you will be restricted to the lower one despite what your licence says.

http://www.rac.co.uk/advice/car-know...on-gb-licence/

If you intend swapping your NZ licence for a UK one then I suggest you get your full one here because changes to the licensing system driven by the unelected eurcrats are going to make upgrading a nightmare.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...sing/DG_201188
    'Tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. (Abraham Lincoln. 1809-65 )

Bike
    1996, Bandit 600

thanks
    There is no restricted licence in the UK, they only have provisonal (learner) and full. They may issue you a full licence (with bike endorsement) becuse there is no equivelant to the restricted licence. Although with red tape and officialdom the powers that be may insist that they issue a full car licence and a provisional bike licence; then isnist that you take the Compulsory Bike Test (CBT) which would then let you ride a bike (sorry unsure what the cc restrictions are).

Bike
    ?
    Last year I changed my NZ drivers license to a GB one. My Restricted motorcycle license changed to the equivalent of a learners. (Despite being told via email it would be changed to a full.. oh well, would have been nice )

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The Chermans need the higher allowance due to the latent effects of bratwurst and frankfurters.

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    (sorry unsure what the cc restrictions are).
    125cc and 14bhp. Enjoy.
    https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclis...e-requirements

op. Do yourself a favor and get your full here. The test here is Mickey Mouse anyway. Average full license holder in NZ wouldn't have a shitshow in hell of passing the UK test without more training. It's a coont....not sure I'd still pass it TBH. Insurance requirements in the UK are currently ridiculous. You also have this continuous insurance bollox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Thread Information