Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Time to buy a bike!

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    My son, you have bad taste
    The Nijna 300 would be great if... well, if it was?
    Aww comeon now. Be fair. Aside from the zzr 250s ( ) it's the best looking ninja theyve made ever. At 40 BHP it's finally caught up to where bikes were 20 years ago

It's certainly a colossal improvement over the current batch. Not saying much, but it's progress! They'd be a great bike at say, $5000. Rather then nearly 10

Quote Originally Posted by MystikEagle View Post
    So the DR is out...

The GS, though a great bike, really is just a little out of my budget (I really only have $5,000)

So I have emailed the guy with the Ninja that's also on here. It's says on here that it will be sold warranted and that the tyre will be fitted when it goes in for a service so basically I am just confirming that. I have also asked if he can get the mechanics to give it a pre-purchase check when they warrant it. I think that if it is all ok, it will be a good buy and is well in my budget.

Thanks alot for all of your help and advice guys!
    Make sure you have a sit on one before comitting. They do lean slightly forward. Not a hell of a lot, but if you're smaller and have a bad back, you'll definitely notice.

Also keep in mind, that you have the rev the little buggers to get em going. Granted I'm a fat bloke, but it makes almost no power below sort of 6k RPM give or take. You'll be sitting around 9k or so at 110 kph. Bearing in mind, the redline is 14,000. The little buggers are parallel twins and do vibrate a lot through the handlebars as well. Particularly on the motorway. Take one for a test ride first, you might find you dont necessarily appreciate that fact. Doesn't bother me overly much, but it clearly does some

I'm not sure, going to get them to get a quote before they take it in
    Make sure you get a checklist of what they're actually checking as well. And be sure to ask them for some specifics. Pre purchse inspections are typically around 75$ and cover little more then a visual inspections. Think a WOF check, except they might check the oil and brake fluid levels. At best you'll know if you need a new tire/brakes, possibly chain or sprocket. Anything really serious will almost certainly be missed, unless its massively obvious (smoke pouring out the back or something similarly catastrophic).

Last bike I had shipped from christchurch, paid for an inspection. they missed heaps of shit that they probably shouldn't have. I didn't bother with one on my current bike.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post

Make sure you get a checklist of what they're actually checking as well. And be sure to ask them for some specifics. Pre purchse inspections are typically around 75$ and cover little more then a visual inspections. Think a WOF check, except they might check the oil and brake fluid levels. At best you'll know if you need a new tire/brakes, possibly chain or sprocket. Anything really serious will almost certainly be missed, unless its massively obvious (smoke pouring out the back or something similarly catastrophic).

Last bike I had shipped from christchurch, paid for an inspection. they missed heaps of shit that they probably shouldn't have. I didn't bother with one on my current bike.
    I'm a newbie and don't know what to look for. My father was a mechanic forty years ago, and when he tried fixing my scooter he gave up, saying it was too modern, and to a) take it to a mechanic and b) get a mechanic inspection on any new motorbike I'm getting. I don't have 75 bucks for every single potential bike I'm looking at, especially if they could miss serious stuff. So what do I do if I'm interested in a bike that's halfway up the north Island?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Make sure you have a sit on one before comitting. They do lean slightly forward. Not a hell of a lot, but if you're smaller and have a bad back, you'll definitely notice.

Also keep in mind, that you have the rev the little buggers to get em going. Granted I'm a fat bloke, but it makes almost no power below sort of 6k RPM give or take. You'll be sitting around 9k or so at 110 kph. Bearing in mind, the redline is 14,000. The little buggers are parallel twins and do vibrate a lot through the handlebars as well. Particularly on the motorway. Take one for a test ride first, you might find you dont necessarily appreciate that fact. Doesn't bother me overly much, but it clearly does some

Thank you so much for all of that!

It would be nice to have a ride of one but there is nothing in the area that I know of. I am about 175cm so I don't think my height will be too much of an issue. I had a sit on a younger, bigger (I think it was 750, from memory) model in the shop and found the position to be alright. I guess it would be different after a few hours of riding???

Is it much of a vibration? Could you compare it to something? Maybe a power sander for instance?

She has had a new rear tyre fitted and had a mechanic (I am assuming a friend from the email) look it over. He said it was in excellent condition and he is taking it for a WoF for her this afternoon. I guess I will at least know if it's road worthy...

Maybe if she took $2,500 it would be ok if a few things need fixing or replacing soon?

Is it worth getting or should I just be patient and see what comes up closer to home? I have really had enough of looking at bikes and just want to get out there riding!!!
    Who am I? Why am I here?
    Forget the questions
    Somebody give me another beer!
    -Meatloaf-

Bike
    Suzuki S50
    Blog Entries
    Don't buy the Ninja just becaue it's the easiest option. I've used this method of purchasing and always been disapointed. Ride a few bikes. Decide what style, engine configuration you like best. Wait for a good one to come up in your price range. Bikes come up for sale all the time, your patience will be well rewarded.

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    I'm a newbie and don't know what to look for. My father was a mechanic forty years ago, and when he tried fixing my scooter he gave up, saying it was too modern, and to a) take it to a mechanic and b) get a mechanic inspection on any new motorbike I'm getting. I don't have 75 bucks for every single potential bike I'm looking at, especially if they could miss serious stuff. So what do I do if I'm interested in a bike that's halfway up the north Island?
    A few things. First, if you're buying your first bike, buy locally. Or, failing that, make absolutely SURE you ride the exact same model or version of bike first. People who have been riding awhile or have owned a few bikes know what they want, and know enough about bikes or what theyre buying to be sure that what they're getting shipped to them, is what they want. This is doubly true if you're buying on a budget. Spending 2000$ and then spending 200$ to get it shipped to you is just silly.

Getting an inspection done beforehand isn't a bad thing. Just make sure you KNOW what you're getting. This is a very good read, dont let it happen to you. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=prepurchase

You would only pay for an inspection to be done on a bike that you're 99.9% sure you'll be getting. IF you're buying locally (which you should be really for your first), gave a good study of this:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html That's a very very very good straight forward and simple guide for how to make sure what you're buying isn't obviously fucked. It even gives you approximate values of repairs and the like. If you have an ipad or print that out, you could do that yourself and have a fair gauge of how the bike fares.

Thank you so much for all of that!

It would be nice to have a ride of one but there is nothing in the area that I know of. I am about 175cm so I don't think my height will be too much of an issue. I had a sit on a younger, bigger (I think it was 750, from memory) model in the shop and found the position to be alright. I guess it would be different after a few hours of riding???

Is it much of a vibration? Could you compare it to something? Maybe a power sander for instance?

She has had a new rear tyre fitted and had a mechanic (I am assuming a friend from the email) look it over. He said it was in excellent condition and he is taking it for a WoF for her this afternoon. I guess I will at least know if it's road worthy...

Maybe if she took $2,500 it would be ok if a few things need fixing or replacing soon?

Is it worth getting or should I just be patient and see what comes up closer to home? I have really had enough of looking at bikes and just want to get out there riding!!!
    As above, I would not buy my first ( or first 3 even) bikes without having ridden on the exact same model first. I bought my first 2 bikes without riding them, and both ended up being wrong for me. Much happier with my third after shopping around awhile and testing shit out. I would not buy another bike now without knowing exactly what it was I was buying. Particularly since I (believe) you mentioned not wanting anything too sporty or forward as you have a bad back. The 250 kwackas are fairly neutral, but you ARE forward. There is noticeable weight on your wrists if you're sitting in traffic and are being lazy ( You're not supposed to put weight on your wrists).

If you're going to be in Auckers for any reason over labor weekend you're more then welcome to have a sit on mine. Otherwise, surely there must be a kawasaki dealership in hamilton somewhere? Just go sit on 08 model. Itll be similar to the previous generations (im not sure what year you're looking at ). Boyde's used to have an 07 for sale. I'd ring them to see if they still have it.

Ride before you buy. If you can, take it for a 20 minute spin. 20 minutes will give you a good indication of what it's like. I would strongly advise you not buy something without having ridden it first.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Don't panic, something will turn up.

If you plan on doing some decent mileage more capacity is a good bet, the novelty of shuffling gears and thrashing a small bike to get anywhere wears off pretty quick.

If you see something in chch you want looking over I could probably help, I'm not a mechanic but know my way around a bike reasonably well, none of the ones I've reassembled lately have fallen to bits......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Waiting for the perfect bike is good. But waiting isn't. Never WAS ... never WILL BE ...

Trust your own decision making skills, your own ability to make the best decision you can ... with the information you have now.

Out there riding is where we'd ALL like to be. Make offers ... (always lower than asked price) and go from there. Ask all the right questions (those on site here would give you those)

Then make a decision. Simple ... eh ... !!!!
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Suzuki SV650
    Thanks for all your help guys.

I currently feel like I'm stuck in a bloody round a bout or something. It's doing my head in! I am totally sick of looking at bikes and finding that they are unsuitable for one reason or another.
    There have been some good bikes come up, but they have all been too far away for me to go look at and test ride, which I do really need to do to make sure I am going to my purchase.

So... I am going to dissappear for a few days, maybe a week, take some time off bikes so that I can come back into this with a clear head and hopefully be excited about the prospect again!
    Who am I? Why am I here?
    Forget the questions
    Somebody give me another beer!
    -Meatloaf-

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    There have been some good bikes come up, but they have all been too far away for me to go look at and test ride, which I do really need to do to make sure I am going to my purchase.

So... I am going to dissappear for a few days, maybe a week, take some time off bikes so that I can come back into this with a clear head and hopefully be excited about the prospect again!
    You will love it because it will be yours ... to take you where you want to go ... if you have time/money for gas. And clean and polish when you haven't.

It may not be the latest model ... or even the most popular model. But ... it WILL be yours.

Some things about it you may NOT like ... but you will remember those things ... when you upgrade to the NEXT bike .... being older and wiser in things motorcycle related.

Go with what YOU can afford ... because out riding is always better ... than thinking about being out riding ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Ducati 1199 R
    Thanks for all your help guys.

I currently feel like I'm stuck in a bloody round a bout or something. It's doing my head in! I am totally sick of looking at bikes and finding that they are unsuitable for one reason or another.

Check this out: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=525188018

my mate listed this today - its a great buy

Thread Information