Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fingertight Racing Sidecar Project

Bike
    I just lost count

The Fingertight Racing Sidecar Project

So as a result of the amazing effort by Warren (wildman) sitting the shed as of 6pm tonight is my new old sidecar chassis.

I cannot thank him enough, you mate are a legend

So now I just need to get my arse into gear.

As I see it I will strip it down give it a good wash, check all the bearings, sort out the mounts for the new engine (I hope it fits), then may get it blasted, a new coat of paint and away we go. Sounds easy. Check back in 6 months and we will see how far we have got

Oh photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	787.4 KB 
ID:	272043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	790.4 KB 
ID:	272042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	798.3 KB 
ID:	272044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	801.6 KB 
ID:	272045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	796.6 KB 
ID:	272046  

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    first look it looked like lustys old sidecar but dont know

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    That's what I thought as well. I don't think so though but I last saw it a long time ago.

My second thought was how uncomfortable it looks with all the sharp edges. Should be good fun though.

I'd suggest getting it running before you make it look pretty. Chances are you will end up changing stuff and mess up your pretty paint etc.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Yea got it off Doug Shalier. Don't know where it came from prior to that.

Just sitting on it I am alerted to a few square edges that won't last. Yea thinking getting the engine in will be the first thing to do and then go from there.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    l know Doug Shalier but got out of buckets when he started sidecars so did not get to see it. l would think that lusty would of had somthing to do with building it. just along the same lines as his

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR
    Looks bloody good to me, another rig destined for the track

Speedpro is right though, get every thing sorted first engine wise and comfort for pilot and swinger, then make it pretty. I'm still changing bits and pieces now... Last change was the engine swap and i was only a couple of mm's clearence short of chopping the frame. There seems to be plenty of bars for the swinger, does look like a stretch from the kneelers to the bars, but that could just be the photo.
    Any idea of the engine going in to it?
    If a second pair of hands would be of any help just yell out, most weekends I would be free to in.

Also like to put in a good word for Warren, he gave me the font end which is on Chris and Richies (almost) completed rig, so with out him I wouldn't even had enough to start that one, cheers mate.

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    so is this rig going to be ready for the first round?

Bike
    I just lost count
    Unfortuently not. Real world has gotten in the way.

Complicated by the fact that my shed is under the house and my 11 month old sons room is directly above the work bench. Means late night work and noisy activities are fairly limited.

The Mrs and Kid are looking at heading away to the parents place this week, and I am borrowing a welder, so we should see some good progress.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar

Keep on Truckin!

Well it will be a shame not to see it on this first outing, Crazyman and myself are keen to see what the Sidecar fraternity have in store when we get up there. We're still tossing up as to who will be where on the outfit, such a awesome looking meeting with plenty of options on the two days. Keep persevering, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Unfortuently not. Real world has gotten in the way.

Complicated by the fact that my shed is under the house and my 11 month old sons room is directly above the work bench. Means late night work and noisy activities are fairly limited.

The Mrs and Kid are looking at heading away to the parents place this week, and I am borrowing a welder, so we should see some good progress.
    that a shame but aleast you will have some progress soon . what engine did it have in it and what are you putting in it? amazzing after 2 week sint the sandblasers had it my sidecar not far of finshed

Bike
    I just lost count
    When Doug was racing it I think he had a 125 Honda in (CB, CG, SL, one of those) but after they stopped racing down there it was re-powered with a DT200 as a toy for the kids and farm hack/toy.

Got an FXR engine that will be going in it.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    none at moment
    Quote Originally Posted by seymour14 View Post
    Well it will be a shame not to see it on this first outing, Crazyman and myself are keen to see what the Sidecar fraternity have in store when we get up there. We're still tossing up as to who will be where on the outfit, such a awesome looking meeting with plenty of options on the two days. Keep persevering, Rome wasn't built in a day!
    Hey are you guys coming up for meeting on 24-25th nov? We need to make yous feel welcome if you are Can we have a get together at your place Gazzza?

Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Hey are you guys coming up for meeting on 24-25th nov? We need to make yous feel welcome if you are Can we have a get together at your place Gazzza?
    yip we will be there . hope to have it running early this week. party time then is it. some old carcar fotage in the gpr thread now if you have not seen it .will bring a copy down with us if you still want it

Bike
    I just lost count
    Well 2 nights of hard work in the shed has resulted in the engine now fixed in place. My welding skills resemble something that looks more like a flock of seagulls have visited the garage. All my measuring tells we it is pretty much in the right place and lined up, but my calibrated eye is telling me it may not be sitting perfectly true. Close enough is good enough I say. Tell you what, as this is the first engine I have fitted I have a new respect for you sick bastards that have fitted engines into odd ball frames, especially the FXR, that is one heavy lump of steel to be lifting in and out of place.

I have also done a bit on the front end. Stripped it all, and pulled the brakes apart. I am quite surprised as once I got all the gunk off them the are in pretty good nick, seals seem fine as well, just need to get some new brake pads as the other fell apart in my hands. Haven't got the forks apart yet, that should be fun. seems to have an internal star fitting under the fork cap holding the springs in. Not sure what tool I am going to need to make to get that out.

Anyway, Mrs and Kid are back tomorrow so back, things will slow down. Will need to tidy the house tomorrow morning to gain some points that I can burn away over the weekend again spending more time in the shed.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Hmmm, well things have slowed down, and today they have come to a temporary hault

I have picked myself up a new job and we are on the move south out of Auckland and to Waikato. This means the house needs to be sold which unfortuently means today I had to pack up some of my toys and get them out of my shed and send them to storage, aka the old mans shed. Problem with toys in storage they are harder for me to play with, especially when they are an 1.5hrs away.

So, yea, not expecting much progress until we actually have a new house to move to, or at least this one is sold. the good news I guess is that the new place should have a bigger shed

Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information