Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harley Sportster 883 Low Rider on a learner licence!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Cops don't have access to drivers licence photos unless they happen to be holding onto the actual card. It would need a law change for that to happen, and its pretty unlikely. I imagine they have firearms etc on smart though.

He will still come to grief though as he has demonstrated a dumb attitude.

There are plenty of great bikes available on LAMS. Its not perfect, but it not bad, and learners aren't stuck on 250cc rubbish

My bad - not from the licence.
    But they do have access to photographs...

Often those photos show an ethnic/gender/age disparity between the dude sitting behind the wheel and what the licence holder is like...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    hen a punch in the scrot for buying a crap bike.
    Oi!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    My bad - not from the licence.
    But they do have access to photographs...Often those photos show an ethnic/gender/age disparity between the dude sitting behind the wheel and what the licence holder is like...
    Yep, NIA holds firearms, intelligence and arrest photos - pretty wide database particularly of those likely to tell fibs.

Plus it will be able to have access to our ID card photos as "real me" rolls out, and everyone will be on that soon enough.

The bloody annoying part about this is, as others have said, that the 883 is a great learners bike. Low, wide bars, modest and predictable power output.

I asked NZTA why they made a 660cc limit.

They told me they didn't want learners riding bikes that were to big or heavy. I pointed out that cc's weigh nothing, and the best measure of size and weight was mm and kg.

As usual the NZTA didnt care, and ignored best practice - they just couldn't shake off an old fashioned obsession with cc ratings.

Consequently, bikes like the 883, or even the NC700 which is specifically designed for learners, are off limits here.

Still, plenty of good bikes are available for LAMs and in practice, as the database is such crap, it will morph into a 660cc limit, as it will be virtually impossible to tell if a bike is LAMs compliant on the side of the road, due to the number of crap records on the MVR.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    +1 on that. I know guys who wont go anywhere near a jap bike, but drive toyotas and nissans.
    Boy have I seen that A LOT.

P.S. They are/were opening a factory in India. For selling in India and nearby areas. A few parts made in the USA will/does get set over, the rest from Japan and the remainder in India.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    He sounds like a knuckle dragging bum bandit. He's fucked.
    $800 for false info and $400 for breach of licence conditions, then a punch in the scrot for buying a crap bike.
    Along with several punches in the head for abusing an "Ex" mates name.

Back in the days when people could get away with that sort of shit I had an "ex mate" steal my licence and clock up several tickets ect as he travelled from Ak to ChCh.

Little cunt never came back to Franklin,,,,,but I'm still waiting.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No - not me!! My stupid brother-in-law! His mate has a Harley Sportster 1200, so he just had to get one too! Nothing wrong with the bike, although I found the seat height a tad low. However, my brother-in-law insists on riding his new Harley on a learners licence. He wouldn't be seen dead on a learner legal Yamaha V-Star XVS-650 because it's Japanese. He also reckons that he'll be OK using the names of his mates with full licences. So, when he gets caught (probably by the dreaded "ginga" cop as he lives up that way) just how much trouble will he be in?
    I was going to reply, but this largely sums it up
    He sounds like a knuckle dragging bum bandit. He's fucked.
    $800 for false info and $400 for breach of licence conditions, then a punch in the scrot for buying a crap bike.
    Of course, what happens if he is speeding, gets away with telling lies but gets a ticket for 130 clicks, and his 'mate' starts getting tickets? Im betting he wont have any 'mates' for very long. Frankly he sounds like a dumb cunt, and a fuckwit.

On the other hand, if he wants to take the risk of getting pulled over WITHOUT telling fuckin lies - have at it.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No - not me!! My stupid brother-in-law! His mate has a Harley Sportster 1200, so he just had to get one too! Nothing wrong with the bike, although I found the seat height a tad low. However, my brother-in-law insists on riding his new Harley on a learners licence. He wouldn't be seen dead on a learner legal Yamaha V-Star XVS-650 because it's Japanese. He also reckons that he'll be OK using the names of his mates with full licences. So, when he gets caught (probably by the dreaded "ginga" cop as he lives up that way) just how much trouble will he be in?
    tell the dumb twat to buy an Enfield 500, it aint 'jap crap' its about as authentic retro as is possible, and its LAMS legal.......
    Or simply stop being a wanker and buy an LS650 or similar!!!!

Kids n Effin gin drinkers!!!!!!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    883 is an ok learner bike, bit heavy but low enough and slow enough. I doubt he'll get any attention from the police

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    tell the dumb twat to buy an Enfield 500,

Kids n Effin gin drinkers!!!!!!
    After 25 years as a Honda mechanic , I DID buy an enfield ,3 of them ,
    Gin I can understand , but kids ....I like mine

stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    2012 Honda GL1800
    I'm also wondering if his insurance coverage will hold up when it is discovered that he is not legally licenced for the bike he chooses to ride? In my experience if they can avoid paying out then they will. I know of instances after crashes where the uninsured rider was held on the hook for a lifetime of support payments to the person they injured/disabled. Heck of a gamble just to feed his ego.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    I'm also wondering if his insurance coverage will hold up when it is discovered that he is not legally licenced for the bike he chooses to ride? In my experience if they can avoid paying out then they will. I know of instances after crashes where the uninsured rider was held on the hook for a lifetime of support payments to the person they injured/disabled. Heck of a gamble just to feed his ego.
    He wont have any insurance cover if incorrectly licensed.

But your ACC levy covers the cost of support payments regardless of cause or responsibility.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    I'm also wondering if his insurance coverage will hold up when it is discovered that he is not legally licenced for the bike he chooses to ride? .
    He wont have any insurance cover if incorrectly licensed.

This has been covered before. You can actually have insurance, and they will pay out provided you're not at fault. Trust me.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    This has been covered before. You can actually have insurance, and they will pay out provided you're not at fault. Trust me.
    If you are not at fault who cares.

They can't decline you because your vehicle isn't licensed.

But if you are at fault and do not have a (correct and valid) driver licence you are fucked. Trust Me.

Bike
    Various things
    If you are not at fault who cares.

Anyone that has insurance when the other cunt doesn't. Trust me.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Anyone that has insurance when the other cunt doesn't. Trust me.
    LOL yeah fair enough... especially if the fella that hits you is on His 883 on a learners...

Thread Information