Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Competely noob towards all things bike

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries

Competely noob towards all things bike

Hey there, I dont really know where to start! probably a good thing i've made my way onto a bike site.

Anyway I am currently interested in getting myself a bike as I have to travel from Howick(auckland) over to the northshore 4 days a week for uni. Hoping maybe I could dial down on fuel and parking costs by aquiring a bike of my own. Also to incorperate the absolutely nuts traffic between the two places on the motorway!.

As the title says, I am a complete noob! I can ride, and have been riding dirt bikes on farms for years, but i know nothing of bike brands and clothing needed....

So i guess i have a few questions for the knowledgable

1. And most important question. Is it worth having a car aswell as a bike? Have people been able to do everyday stuff just with a bike or has carrying things become quite a nuisance?. Does anyone wish that they had a car aswell or is just having a bike actually not so bad? I will probably have access to a second family car, and selling my car would give me more spending money obviously. I would sell my car in an instant if I knew it was simple to do normal stuff just with a backpack and bike.

2. Are bikes actually cheaper to maintain and run?

3. What kinds of things am I looking for in purchasing riding gear and also a bike. My budget is rather low 3-3.5 for a bike plus a decent amount for some quality riding gear.

4. Do you guys find it a hassle to have to get dressed into riding equipment before you shoot out anywhere, and vice versa do you find it annoying lugging around your gear all day if you cant put it anywhere?

Sorry I bet these questions have been asked before, but I cant really find my way around the forum as of yet.

Looking forward to your feedback

Cheers

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

Thumbs up

All answers are IMHO

1- if you have access to the family car, you could sell yours. I went bike only for two years and my only REAL hassle was carting groceries as I lived out of town so tried to carry as many as possible to cut down on the number of trips.

2- yes, but dearer to register and insure.

3- if its your sole form of transport, number one consideration is reliability. You will find plenty of sub 4k bikes, here's one to start you off.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=560090801
    Look for layered and waterproof gear so it can be used in all seasons.

4- yes it is a minor hassle gearing up each time you want to pop down to the dairy, get a Givi box or saddle bags to stash your gear in.
    Last edited by Skiwi; 6th February 2013 at 07:35. Reason: Speelliinnngg

Bike
    Speed Triple
    What Skiwi said, good advice there chap.

But the best part is how much fun you can have.
    Imagine actually being happy after your daily commute.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Yeah I used to find it a hassle putting my gear on after work, cos that meant my brother had a head start on me in his car. And it was only 13kms home so I would have to get my gear on and then beat him home.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    I am 55, I sold my car last year and now do everything on my bike. For economy they work out about the same in the long run, maybe a little mores expensive if you go to larger CC's. But the ability to beat the traffic, the freedom of not being asked to take anyone anywhere, the fun of going out on the weekends and just ride for pleasure. Leaves a cage for dead.
    I ride in all weathers, just adjust my riding style to the conditions.
    Shopping is not a worry, just plan you weekly Pac in Save shopping around your daily routine . I have bought some rather large items home on my 2fiddy, without a hassle.
    Get involved in some road craft training, Search in here and read as many thread of riding as you can,. Dont feel afraid to ask dumb questions, ( only dumb from yours and the trolls perspective). And check out the others who commute to uni on bike.
    Check out threads by Bosslady, she is a learner thats doing it, and doing it well, some great advice on her threads you could use.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for the help guys, just a little nervous about selling my car as I surf a bit and dont know what id do on long road trips.

Anyway, any specific things I should be looking for other than waterproofing and titanium protection in gear? Whats the differences between a $199 helmet and a $599 helmet. How much should I budget for good protective gear?

Was thinking maybe something like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-558905285.htm

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    1. Short answer. Yes. I have a car aswell as my bike and I won't be selling it. I've got kids so never could have anyway but every now and then I take my car if I need to go somewhere but am feeling a little tired. It's not safe to ride a bike when tired. Also, I have my full class 1 so no restrictions but only a 6L so no riding between 10pm and 5am and no, I'm not interested in breaking the law. And yes, it can be a hassle to have to get all your gear on esp when you only wanna pop down the road to get a pie or something! Also my bike was out of action for a few days a few weeks ago so I have a car as back up if something happens to the bike and vice versa.

2. Hells yes. In the weekend I spent no more than $15 for 200km. Bike flew through it's warrant to. I only have a wee 250cc though, simple bike, no fancy smellectronics.

3. I spent $2100 on a tidy bike with very low mileage, just over $1k on very decent riding gear and a few hundy extra for professional instruction. Get quality gear, do your research.

4. oops I answered this in 1.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Dude, the hyobag looks cool man.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man-on-motorcycle-with-surfboard.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	278001
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Hi
    as said all answers are IMO

I've ridden a bike for just on 39yrs. Bike has always been MY transport. I've owned just 5-6 cars in this time. When married, of course we had a car (hers)...
    overall my time without access to a car has been over 15 yrs in total. The grocery thing can be a pain, decent panniers (throw over) Top box if you prefer or, as well, can carry most of a single persons shopping. Probably the biggest issue is when purchasing 'big ticket' items like TV, washing machines etc.... either use friends/family cars, or, accept you pay for delivery.

Bike? the new law enables you to purchase GOOD larger capacity bikes. Firstly you need to decide on what type of bike you want? If you are really only going to commute most of the time (I will almost guarantee it wont stay just commute for long) a dual purpose like the XT600/DR650/FG650/KR650 are your best bets. They are torquey, sit up high, so you can see over the tin tops and are manoeuvrable. There are also plenty of people racking up big mileage on them doing distance riding. They are reasonably economical, simple to work on, cheap to service.... As a student all those factors need to be taken to account. Shops have a fixed fee schedule for servicing... a single is usually around $300 upwards, a 4cyl $450-600 depending on whether its a minor (oil change etc) or a full (major) service.
    regardless of being told how good they are and reliable... MOST 250's have simply been hammered the fuck out of day in, day out. Most sport 250's are high revving (15000rpm+) and need to have their necks wrung to get real performance out of them. I will add a disclaimer here, high revving easy to flick about bikes can be an absolute thrill to ride, but to me? Not as an everyday ride. Bikes like the XT/DR etc are no faster than the 250's but rev at only 50% of their redlines (around 8000rpm max revs) and are more 'usable' in power delivery. There are other options, and older 5-600cc 4 cyl can be a good buy if well maintained.... Z500/XJ500/GS500 all are good bikes IF well looked after. There are twin cylinder V or Parallel 250's that are quite competent ZZR/ZRX250, VT250, Hyo GT250.. these can be found in low K state, BUT often again have been owned by 1 or more young, enthusiastic (thrashes the fuck out of it) owner with low financial ability or know how to maintain it fully .... ALL high performance 250 can/will become a grenade if NOT well looked after. A 650 single will still probably be more economical than a 250 sprot bike, high performance comes at the expense of economy....

The gear?
    there are many online sellers on tardme, My advice here, again personal opinion. DONT SKRIMP on what you pay. Even allowing for low overheads for a seller working from home, when compared to a retail shop... a $200 jacket is still 'budget bin'..... I own jackets ranging from the 250-300 to 600+ price bracket. There is a REASON the $600+ jacket cost that much. if you research the net on Cordura and similar materials the higher thread count (just like bed sheets) the better the material. MOST 'cheap end' jackets are around a 600 count.... for good protection it should be around 900
    Again it's marketing... many jackets will have tags saying the armour meets or exceeds DOT/Snell/Euro standard..... read carefully how many actually have information on the abrasion resistance to the actual 'cordura' the jacket/pants are made of.
    Leather is STILL the best 'abrasion resistant' material... at the expense of being the hardest one to dry out when wet..... a good compromise and often expensive is a cordura jacket with leather on the high abrasion areas... shoulders/elbows etc.
    As for carting gear around? Either you will, or you wont... casual situations? there are kevlar lined jeans (tardme) available.. look as good as normal jeans, some offer a cargo pant as well.

Bike boots are the 'best' thing but a good pair of industrial 'cowboy style' (johnny reb etc) are pretty reasonable, lace up boots are going to leak... period.

Helmet? do you have a $100 head? then buy a $100 helmet.
    Some dealers have 'run out' stock that is at a reduced price. Go to the SHARP site. it's a UK test facility that has got a rating for helmets and is a good guide to helmet safety. There ARE some 'cheaper' helmets that score very high. Expensive lids usually have the 'niceties' of removable washable liners, better 'construction' better fixings, strap design etc... again with careful watching tardme can be a useful tool to aquire some good quality gear at a lower price, Caveat Emptor.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam_NZ View Post
    Cheers for the help guys, just a little nervous about selling my car as I surf a bit and dont know what id do on long road trips.

Anyway, any specific things I should be looking for other than waterproofing and titanium protection in gear? Whats the differences between a $199 helmet and a $599 helmet. How much should I budget for good protective gear?

Was thinking maybe something like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-558905285.htm
    I'm a tard, so can't help on the getting a bike front but first things first. Have you done your BHS and sat your learners? if not, get onto it asap.

As for gear, have a squizz at my thread here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ewbie-mistakes lots of good advice, I was in the same position as you. I got almost everything online but it takes time and meant I lost two weeks of riding in summer cause I had no gear. If you choose to do the online route don't buy a helmet online, that's all I'll say! Difference between prices of those helmets vary. Could be features I.e. pull down visors inside to block the Sun, brand name, aesthetics I.e. pretty designs, fit (some helmets suit some people better than others) but some of it for sure can come down to safety. Anyway have a look at this website it's quite good http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ wouldn't recommend those flip up helmets though, just a personal preference.. they pass the standard but I don't reckon they're as safe as a proper full jobby.

I like that my gear is waterproof but leathers are cooler and look cooler too... lol both would be good, think I'll get some leathers as my next Xmas pressy.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    All other posts cover most of what you've asked. In terms of helmets.....IMHO.....the price may not be an indicator of protection. Price seems to be more to do with brand and addtional comfort features. Here's an interesting site that compares helmets that have been tested http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/.

I currently have a basic LS2 helmet which is highly rated on the protection front, but is pretty basic on the features front.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    First up a confession so you know I'm a bit vocal in my opinion. Helmet prices are a bug bear of mine...

I don't mind high priced helmets if it is because of additional safety features, it pisses me off when the price is ramped up for a "brand" because it gives a false impression you are safer just because you're dishing out more money.

There are plenty of sub $300 helmets that rate highly for safety, if you WANT to pay for additional features that's fine, but don't be sucked in to forking over extra $$$ because it is the latest fad brand.

Use the link on bluninja & boss lady posted so you can make an informed, rather than a "trendy" decision.

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Wow thanks for your time guys!

Sweet so gear is easy, just needa find a suitable bike. As for the duel purposes, Im not a huge fan. Although they are cheaper to buy and run, I would like something fun to ride and travel with/go for weekend rides. Sports bikes or something like the gs500 are what im after.

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Vi...5000%7c&No=150

Something like this? maybe a little newer

As for selling my car, Im still torn. The things you guys listed e.g getting groceries and having kids, are not problems for me. So if they are the only majors then it looks likes I may not need a car.

Thanks again for your help

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    I really like this one, although it is a little expensive

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Vi...5000%7c&No=240

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam_NZ View Post
    I really like this one, although it is a little expensive

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Vi...5000%7c&No=240
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-559716700.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-556635245.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-558905285.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-552353300.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-556448767.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-520385677.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-540695146.htm

Pretty much the only bikes in auckland/close with low kms and learner approved. I do like the idea of getting something bigger than a 250cc now that Grey wolf has mentioned the pros. Although it is hard to find a decent bike over 250,close and approved.

Let me know what you think

Thread Information