Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First timer

Bike
    ZZR 250

First timer

Hey all i'm looking at getting my bike license and buying a bike as gas prices are getting to high.
    My questions are...
    Do sit my learners license then buy the bike or can i buy a bike with my car license?
    How much should i spend on my first bike (have only ever been on a bike as a passenger)

What courses in auckland should i take and where (i live in new lynn)

noob questions i know but i do have to start somewhere

Btw i have always wanted to own my own bike i guess i've just be lazy.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Welcome to the site Snake, I'm sure you'll find answers to everything you need to know here, and probably some answers you wish you didn't know. If you're planning on financing a bike you will need your license as finance companies usually require the vehicle to be insured, no license no legit insurance. Your car license will only allow you to ride a bike under 50cc (I think). Banks are different in that yu can get an unsecured personal loan and buy what you want, however if you drop it or get hit you may run the risk of paying for something you don't have. Ie, bike gets written off but you still have to pay for it.

I would suggest sitting your learners license and getting a very cheap bike to learn on. Baby steps are very important on bikes. Buy something too powerful and expensive and you'll just end up being intimadated by it, too scared to discover it properly. Without knowing your financial situation, I would suggest pending around $1000-1500 on your first bike. Please don't forget the costs of riding gear, the cost of ownership of a bike is not only the bike itself, but proper boots, gloves, jacket and pants, and of course a helmet. Buy the best gear you can afford, you will never regret it. Believe me, and almost everyone else on this site. Sneakers, jeans, and a ratty pair of holed gloves will do nothing for you if you do happen to drop it, which with you being a learner I'm afraid to say has a higher chance of happening.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know what's involved. This is a great lifestyle, one that you will hopefully enjoy for a long time. Keeping your feet firmly planted on the ground will only increase the chance of you being involved for much longer.

As far as courses up you way go, I'll let one of your locals answer that question. Best of luck, don't be scared to ask anything as most of us are here to help when we can.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Rogers
    Hey all i'm looking at getting my bike license and buying a bike as gas prices are getting to high.
    My questions are...
    Do sit my learners license then buy the bike or can i buy a bike with my car license?
    How much should i spend on my first bike (have only ever been on a bike as a passenger)

LOOK AT MY PROFILE PIC ,ITS A TR50 , IT CAN BE RIDDEN ON A CAR LICENCE,
    WELCOME TO THE SITE AND STAY AWAY FROM ZED

Bike
    ZZR 250
    Thanks for the welcome guys and the quick response

i will keep ya updated on my progress

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Welcome, Snake.

As onearmedbandit said: get the right gear. You may have no intention of coming a cropper but you never know what the other bastards on the road have planned for the day. Then there's good, old-fashioned inexperience coupled with dicey conditions - wet road, car cutting you off suddenly (which you might have avoided with a bit more experience).

You'll learn a lot - how to be more aware of your surroundings than the average person in a cage, how to multitask to the point you'll be braking before you even consciously realise you were at risk, etc, etc. It can be a rally enjoyable time. Don't go mad - like spend vast amounts of money or buy a suped-up rocket - get yourself something that will teach you to ride without killing you or terrifying all the fun out of you and that will go the distance - suffice from Learner's Licence all the way through your Restricted.

There are lots of threads here on preferred/recommended learners bikes and what people think is the best gear. In the end you make up your own mind.

The important things are to make sure you have what you need and they are within your budget - an uninsured bike is probably outside everyone's budget as it sucks to be off the road trying to afford repairs because some bugger downed your bike in the New World carpark.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Suzuki TL1000Sx 98
    Welcome to KiwiBiker Snake Rogers

Bike
    ZZR 250
    Well i just enroled in a defense riding course today for the 27th of this month so i can then sit my learners license.

I will try not to bore you guys with my progress

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries

you can buy the bike without a license if you are doing ca$h, but if you need HP, you will need to sit the tests. Suzuki GN250's are great bikes to learn / commute on , and you can usually find great prices on them ( even new at $2995 + orc)

i use Doug Swanson for all my new riders.. his # is 09 416-5096
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Just remember. See that person in the car, there . ANY person, ANY car. he or she WANTS TO KILL YOU. Truly. Remember that and you won't go too far wrong.

You're not paranoid. The bastiges ARE out to get you
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Just remember. See that person in the car, there . ANY person, ANY car. he or she WANTS TO KILL YOU. Truly. Remember that and you won't go too far wrong.

You're not paranoid. The bastiges ARE out to get you
    Barstiges!! now I'm really confused.
    Just yesterday I was wondering why you can have Prestige,but never hear of Postige and now you come out with barstige!! You barstige

Bike
    2002 Honda Fireblade/2003 Honda ST1300
    Check out www.RiderSkills.co.nz - Just up the road from you at Rosebank road.

Best of luck for years of happy riding!
    <MARQUEE>Ride safe - they're out to get you!</MARQUEE>

Bike
    CMG GTR 150cc
    Maybe we could have a sticky thread for all the new riders needing to know how to go about getting their licence etc.

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    I like the idea IndeSkyz. (in the skies? in disguise?? Masked but high??!)

I know I asked some fairly similar questions back when I was starting.

Snake: I purchased my bike (GN250) and had to put up with staring at it for a week until I got my lisence. But what I did was do the 'learn to ride' course (seriously, I had no idea where the indicators were or ANYTHING! Clutch you say? There are gears? *blonde*) and then ended that with the Basic Skills Cert. I sat on a GN125 I think (WHAT? The others get a 150 and I get a 125!??! What're you telling me?). After that, I popped down the local library, read the road code a bit - practised the questions so I could figure out what my weak points were, and then went to the AA. ALl in one day.

THEN, and ONLY then, did I get astride my bike. And rode her 20kms.

Good luck dude. And happy ing.
    It is easier to accept the message of the stars than the message of the salt desert. The stars speak of man's insignificance in the long eternity of time; the desert speaks of his insignificance right now. - Edwin Way Teale 1956

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    My questions are...

hey Snake.. pop by Colemans Suzuki when you can and i will give you a booklet on getting your bike ticket ( book produced by MTA.. great read.. lotta info)

that goes for anyone wanting to get their tag
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    welcome aboard the site Snake, good luck with gettin a bike
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Thread Information